BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrock View Post
That last one is bullcrap. Same bullcrap as squattin hormones and biceps growth

I watched a podcast with Doug brignole recently and he was quoting a study whereby training stimulus from one side of the body is transferred to the other side at (I think) 6%.
Eg if you train your right arm , but not the left- then the left arm will still show a (much reduced) level of growth dispite no direct stimulus.
I think the study was conducted on patients who had a broken arm or leg in a cast.
They found that the patient's who applied a training stimulus to the healthy arm or leg had less atrophey in the broken limb when the cast was finally removed.

To say outright that the body definitely would not try and find some.kind.of.homeostasis (I.e prevent muscle imbalances) by preventing disproportionate growth in different muscle groups may be a bit premature.
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltut View Post
I watched a podcast with Doug brignole recently and he was quoting a study whereby training stimulus from one side of the body is transferred to the other side at (I think) 6%.
Eg if you train your right arm , but not the left- then the left arm will still show a (much reduced) level of growth dispite no direct stimulus.
I think the study was conducted on patients who had a broken arm or leg in a cast.
They found that the patient's who applied a training stimulus to the healthy arm or leg had less atrophey in the broken limb when the cast was finally removed.

To say outright that the body definitely would not try and find some.kind.of.homeostasis (I.e prevent muscle imbalances) by preventing disproportionate growth in different muscle groups may be a bit premature.
Those gains are neural. The muscle doesn't grow. NEURAL.

So it doesn't make an ounce of difference and the hormonal response still doesn't mean anything.

The body also doesn't give a damn about muscle imbalances or NOBODY would have shoulder or knee problems or any other muscular imbalance related injury. The body responds to what you make it do.

Seriously, this is just gibberish of the worst sort.

Consider the following statements that idiots make:
1. You need to train legs to get big
2. What's with those guys with big upper bodies and no legs

You don't need to train legs to get anything else big since the growth stimulus is local
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Immobilize a muscle. Cast or whatever. You can train the uninjured leg all you want; it will grow while the other shrinks.

Do all the testosterone boosting training you want, it will shrink. It doesn't mean jack squat. If squatting builds big upper body here is why

PEOPLE WHO TRAIN SQUATS HARD TRAIN EVERYTHING HARD.

You also have to hold the bar with your arms so it's not as if squats are a pure leg movement.

This whole argument is utterly stupid and can be disproven by going into your gym and seeing all the bros with HUGE upper bodies and NO legs.
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM

Thanks for explanation.Btw,are there any real disadvanteges,except for aesthetical,for not training legs?Like is it bad for posture,or more stress on joints cuz upper body is growing and legs not?
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Immobilize a muscle. Cast or whatever. You can train the uninjured leg all you want; it will grow while the other shrinks.

Do all the testosterone boosting training you want, it will shrink. It doesn't mean jack squat. If squatting builds big upper body here is why

PEOPLE WHO TRAIN SQUATS HARD TRAIN EVERYTHING HARD.

You also have to hold the bar with your arms so it's not as if squats are a pure leg movement.

This whole argument is utterly stupid and can be disproven by going into your gym and seeing all the bros with HUGE upper bodies and NO legs.
I think you may have misunderstood me Lyle. I don't subscribe to the train legs to build your biceps idea.
The original question was about how muscle growth occurs throughout the entire body. Yes if you train your quads only- they will grow and your hamstrings will stay the same size.

But My point was about maximising growth. If you train only your quad but not your hamstrings will you be maximizing quad development or will the body (to some degree) try and prevent the.imbalance by.limiting quad hypertrophy?

Last edited by Eltut : 12-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Unread 12-04-2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the replies Lyle and everyone else.

Here's another article kind of validating what Brad Pilon said (takes about a minute to read) Any thoughts?

http://nattyornot.com/will-arms-bigger-dont-train-legs/

Lyle, i didn't gather from your response whether or not you believe there is any advantage to skipping legs for someone who's main goal is a bigger upper body. Care to elaborate?
Unread 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
Thanks for the replies Lyle and everyone else.

Here's another article kind of validating what Brad Pilon said (takes about a minute to read) Any thoughts?

http://nattyornot.com/will-arms-bigger-dont-train-legs/

Lyle, i didn't gather from your response whether or not you believe there is any advantage to skipping legs for someone who's main goal is a bigger upper body. Care to elaborate?
What is he basing these claims on? Are there any studies to confirm what he is saying? If not,then it's meaningless.
. It may make sense but that doesn't mean that's how it works.in real life.
Can I ask-is this what you are trying to achieve-a bigger upper body by not training your legs?

Last edited by Eltut : 12-04-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Unread 12-04-2015, 03:27 PM

Eltut,

Yeah my goal is to gain primarily in the upper body. For some reason I have a TINY upper body naturally and big legs with wide hips. So if skipping legs would increase gains in the upper body, i'll do it. If it really doesn't make a difference i'll train them both.
Unread 12-04-2015, 03:44 PM

If you only train upper body you will have BIGGER upper body then those who train both.
Unread 12-04-2015, 03:54 PM
Banned

If you have big legs then by all means prioritise your upper body. But I.doubt skipping legs will allow.more growth in your upper body. Better to eventually have a big upper body and huge legs than a big upper body and big legs in my opinion.
This is only anecdotal evidence but in my case I spent 15 years training only upper body. To the.point that it's very well developed. I have bench pressed 152.5kg for 3reps naturally just to give you some idea.
I got really serious about my training 4yrs ago and train my entire body now. Over the past 4yrs I have had minimal growth.in my.upper body yet my.legs are significantly bigger.
If this whole concept were true I'd have have had little, if any, potential for growth in my legs given 15yrs of upper body training only. That doesn't prove anything one.way or the other but it's food for thought.
As a side note, squatting kicks butt and I'd take huge.legs over a huge.upper body any day.

Last edited by Eltut : 12-04-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Closed Thread