BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-25-2015, 07:01 PM

Default Can treadmill desks burn an appreciable amount of calories?

I've gotten a Fitbit Zip a few days ago to get a better handle on my overall activity throughout the day.

Noticing that i'm extremely inactive outside of weight lifting (~2k steps a day), I decided to add a makeshift desk to my treadmill.

Since the work i'm doing requires some decent degree of mouse precision and concentration, I walk at a sustained pace of 1.5 mph with no incline.

I've done just over 20 000 steps for today, burning an approximate of (according to the fitbit) 2,784 calories without breaking a sweat.

It doesn't even feel like i'm doing cardio and my appetite (for this very first day, at least) doesn't seem to have spiked or anything.

My question is, despite me walking at an obvious snails pace, could I burn a good amount of calories if I were to do this for around 4-5 hours per day?

Thanks
Unread 11-26-2015, 03:30 AM

Your body does not run on fairy dust so, yeah, bar turning magical your metabolism will burn additional calories. This is uncontroversial.

What's unclear to me is if this is a sound weight loss strategy.
Unread 11-26-2015, 06:13 AM

I have a hard time believing that you are burning that many calories on your treadmill, unless I misunderstood and you mean total calories. I can ride a hard 4 hour bicycle ride (hammer fest/race practice)and typically burn about 2000 Calories.
Unread 11-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I have a hard time believing that you are burning that many calories on your treadmill, unless I misunderstood and you mean total calories. I can ride a hard 4 hour bicycle ride (hammer fest/race practice)and typically burn about 2000 Calories.
And given that that is 1000% unrealistic for most people but thanks for playing. Most can't hammer for 4 hours on a bike. Most don't have time in their lives. But thanks for being myopic and projecting your singular irrelevant example out into the world.

But let's look at the math

Sitting is about 1 cal/min. Standing is 2 cal/min or so. If you're burning 3 cal/min on a treadmill desk. That's 2 cal/min more than sitting.

Over an hour that's 120 calories.
Over an 8 hour shift that 960 calories

So yes they can. Even over 4 hours of walking, that's an additional 500 calories per day which is an hour of moderate to hard exercise.
Unread 11-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Episode 95 of Sigma Nutrition had Dr. James Levine from the Mayo Clinic. He lost a lot of weight by switching to a treadmill desk.

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode95/
Unread 12-05-2015, 04:31 PM

Just out of curiosity, even though the intensity of this added exerise is extremely low but over a very long distance (i've been walking roughly 10 miles daily), could I be depleting glycogen and would benefit from increased carbohydrates?
Unread 12-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightng View Post
Just out of curiosity, even though the intensity of this added exerise is extremely low but over a very long distance (i've been walking roughly 10 miles daily), could I be depleting glycogen and would benefit from increased carbohydrates?
No.