BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-06-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Metformin anti-aging effects

Interesting. Many said this years ago metformin has "health benefits".

http://www.immortal.org/21295/anti-a...rug-metformin/
Unread 12-06-2015, 09:30 PM

Yeah, I read about this on reddit the other day, I was going to post it here but I didn't for some reason, thought someone would post it here at some point.

It's interesting, and it was said that the exact mechanism of metformin almost imitates a ketogenic diet, it has an effect almost like DNP that inhibits that complex 1 protein in mitochondria which is part of the electron transport chain or something, it apparently results in an increased amount of fat oxidation, reduces glucose oxidation (which increases insulin sensitivity to get more glucose, which is why it's used for diabetics). It also apparently increases oxidative stress, which is what causes the anti aging effects

The issue I guess is that it's a gamble, and you'd have to take metformin all your life just to see if it works and the studies done on worms and whatever may not apply to humans, I dunno. It's like the fasting thing, maybe the same thing could be imitated with a keto diet and excercise? I don't know, at list point I'm not qualified in the slightest and I should just shut up.

Edit: People also use metformin off label for weight loss. I was interested if metformin would be useful for muscle gain as I thought it would help with muscle gain due to insulin sensitivity increase, but it turns out its the opposite, it can cause muscle loss because it activates that intracellular messages thing (is it cAMP or something else? I don't know... It's all just chemicals to me...)

Last edited by hugsaredrugs : 12-06-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Unread 12-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Longevity is more than one system
Unread 12-07-2015, 10:32 AM

Of course, almost anything is more than one system, and most definitely with aging. There's a reason we can easily inject hormones into someone and mess with their blood glucose levels, but we can't exactly just give people drugs and manipulate their hormones to make them live longer, at least not very easily or effectively. Aging isn't neccesarily something that's evolved like other systems in the body.

I'm not sure if your comment is directed at me, I'm too young to be concerned with the science of aging anyway. I think only old people can succesfuly study that kind of thing as they actually have motivation, death is a very good one, really.
Unread 01-27-2016, 03:10 AM

General overview of research about metformin: http://scicurve.com/report/metformin