BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-17-2018, 06:56 AM

Default More info on on off/binge type eating

Hi Lyle and other members of the support forum

In the Is Rapid Fat Loss right for you? article you mentioned that people with on and off/binge type eating tend to do very poorly when moving to a
maintaining type diet and they shouldn't even attempt it.

so what i've gathered so far would work best for people like that is the protocol for flexible dieting, and a moderate deficit

do you happen to have any other specific bits of information for those people?

Im sorry if im kind of asking a dumb question because I've been stuck in a cut and binge cycle for a while now, and i would love to compete in a physique contest one day but i cant seem to put on any muscle because i always binge it back up to my old bodyfat levels once i get lean enough to gain, then i have to cut again.

I always used to cut relatively fast and seeing that kind of opened my eyes because the problems always started when moving to maintenance, so now i guess im wondering if you happen to have anymore tidbits of information that you found may have found researching the Women's Book(awesome book btw) or just bouncing around in general that you havent specifically wrote about.

Thank you very much
Unread 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM

When you're dieting, how extreme is your deficit? Also what kind of issues do you specifically face when moving to maintenance? What kind of activity are you doing in general?

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596
Unread 02-17-2018, 12:04 PM

Its ranged from more extreme, to less extreme at times

at one point i was cutting at 1200 calories per day and often fasted whole days, I was training boxing 2 hours per day every 6 days per week, my maitenence was about 2600

at one point i less extreme at 1200 calories per day, training 1 hour a week 6 days, my maitenence was about 2200

recently i did a stint of RFL for about a week and then started losing 1.3 lbs per week, tapering to 1 lbs per week and then .07 lbs per week when i got leaner (about 23% bodyfat) using a 3 day refeed per week carb cycle diet. i didn't do any cardio, my maintenance was about 2000

I always binge eat when i try to transition to maintenence, I just get EXTREMELY hungry to the point where i cant take it and i would just go on a month long binge where i would eat anything in sight(carbs, mostly carbs).

at this point its really troubling because i've returned to my normal weight at about 30% bodyfat, have been overeating carbs for about a month and i still feel like im dieting(its gotten slightly better but i cant even eat at maintenence)...I'm trying to diet again at a moderate deficit and a 25% reduction in calories but its only my 2nd day and i feel like binge eating again.

I do mostly weightlifting, occaisionally about 40 mins of cardio(i tend to go 10-20 bpm above my target heart rate, probably not the best but i dont think its that big of a deal because i dont do cardio often)

Last edited by Cyangirl12 : 02-17-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Unread 02-17-2018, 02:08 PM

Ok first of all, relax and realize this will take a while to fix.
If you're comfortable with it, talking about your binge eating issues with a professional would be a good idea.

Stay at maintenance calories for as long as you can till you feel your hunger/appetite are under control. Since you feel like you're dieting even at maintenance, try to incorporate high volume foods (vegetables) and high protein meals in your diet. Get the rest of your calories from anything else, including some fats and low GI high fiber carbs.That way you feel satisfied with lower calories, or at least your maintenance intake.

Try looking up high protein recipes. You can find plenty of them so good tasting that you don't even get the urge for your usual fattier choices. High Protein bars, muffins, pancakes with zero calorie syrups etc.

When you feel like you don't get urges anymore, slowly start reducing your intake mainly from the "extra" foods/calories. Vegetables and protein should stay the same.

Restrictive/extreme diets often create binge urges even in people who never had this issue before dieting. Given your dieting history I wouldn't go greater than 20% deficit max.

if you're currently doing high volume/frequency training, get on a proper lifting routine (plenty of articles regarding training on the main site), and if cardio makes you hungrier drop it for now.

Never skip your multi, electrolytes and fish oils.

Try some meditation, it will make you more mindful in general including your eating habits.

Even before doing all of these, give the Guide to flexible dieting another read. There's really not much more to say if you want a healthy approach to dieting in the long-term.

Good luck.

My ERFL log
Unread 02-17-2018, 02:27 PM

thank you

Last edited by Cyangirl12 : 02-17-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Unread 02-18-2018, 05:25 AM

i have gotten the same "eat more filling foods and take more vitamines" advice though, it was my first go-to. i already eat 179 grams of protien and 2 handfuls of bok chuy and spinach a day and im still very hungry 2 hours later

Last edited by Cyangirl12 : 02-18-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Unread 02-18-2018, 05:50 AM

I apologize if my post wasn't helpful. I dealt with binge eating for many years and tried to suggest a few things that worked for me.

The first thing that came to mind since you already do these things and feel hungry is that you need more calories, you're not eating enough. But, Ifou're already doing that, feel hungry, and NOT losing weight, it's clearly all mental/emotional. Hence my original advice about seeking professional help.

Maybe other members have more insight

My ERFL log
Unread 02-18-2018, 07:23 AM

How did you actually solve it? i noticed you did ERFL in your signature, don't extreme diets predispose you to such? Protein and veggies don't seem to have any effect on satiety for me

Last edited by Cyangirl12 : 02-18-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 02-18-2018, 11:39 AM

If veggies and protein don't keep you satiated have you thought about trying fat and/or carbs?

Seems like it wouldn't be too hard an experiment. Try a few different meals (high protein/high carb, high protein/high fat, high protein/moderate fat, high carb/moderat fat, etc.) and see how long until you get hungry.

For me lots of carbs in the morning seems to lead to more hunger through the day, but carbs in the evening help me sleep better.

Fat is pretty satiating too. If I have a salad w/oil based dressing first then I probably won't eat much of the main course.

Doesn't seem like you have anything to lose.
Unread 02-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyangirl12 View Post
How did you actually solve it? i noticed you did ERFL in your signature, don't extreme diets predispose you to such? Protein and veggies don't seem to have any effect on satiety for me
By doing all the things I wrote, as well as being busy as much as possible. Eventually caring for things way more important than my next meal. And mst importantly accepting my body, even though that was like 10 years ago and I was like 150lbs. This made me relax, focus on more important things, and started listening to my body. Excess weight came off and I don't remember actually dieting.

As for erfl, I mentioned in my log the reasons I wanted to give it a shot. Number one, I hate dieting for the very reason you said, it makes EDs worse usually. It suited me for several reasons and the binge thing has ended for me a long time ago. I consciously make choices that help me maintain my weight (diet and training wise) but I rarely diet anymore.

Try some experimentation like holly70 said, and work on the mental part as better as you can.

My ERFL log