BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:23 AM

Default Input on Brad Pilon's training advice

Ok, so I watched this podcast a while ago from Kinobody. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-LGWBr5bgc

I'll admit, I can't remember exactly what Brad Pilon said. However, I believe it was to this effect:

There is only so many overall pounds of muscle your body can build. Say you hypothetically have 40 lbs you can gain, you can choose to distrubute this 40 lbs equally (on legs, upper body, arms,) or you could strategically choose where it can go. Obviously you can't put 40 lbs of muscle all in your triceps, but you can choose to focus the bulk of it in your upper body for example.

Say someone decided to only do upper body movements. Would they gain more muscle (given the same exact calories, circumstances, etc) than if they trained both upper and lower body?

Am I making any sense here? is there any truth to this idea?
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:27 AM

In the hypothetical situation where the person chooses to train only upper body or both lower/upper, say the amount of upper body sets are the same in both scenarios.

Would adding in lower body work IN ADDITION to the upper body work inhibit that person's ability to gain upper body mass when compared to if they ONLY trained upper body? Maybe because the body needs to recover from more total work and therefore cannot divert as much energy to the upper body recovery & muscle gain?
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:47 AM

wondered the same when i heard it but figured it is something you dont have to really worry about. if your legs get too big, reduce frequency and / or keep load the same

but in, because i like the question and im curious. pretty sure lyle has an answer =D
Unread 12-04-2015, 11:49 AM

i think the answer is more like:
when you train upper and lower equally and your body recovers fully so you get progression then not training lower as often wouldnt help, becuase your body already fully recovers from the upper training stimulus.
if for example you upped upper frequency while lowering lower frequency, that could probably make it
Unread 12-04-2015, 12:19 PM

It's been said here before that you can make gains faster by only focusing on a single muscle/muscle group, as overall your body has more resources and energy to recover. This doesn't strictly apply here as the question is a question of maximal mass.

I do not think this is true. I think each muscle (or even muscle fiber if you want to go that far) has it's own maximum strength/size. I think the only advantages/disadvantages of what he's saying would be metabolic. Having big quads is going to take energy and building materials away from having a big chest, but with enough time and food they could both be very big.
Unread 12-04-2015, 12:37 PM

I heard recently from one famous old school bodybuilder that "your body doesn`t like disproportions" and that badly developed lower body can hinder upper body development.
Is there any true to that statement or total BS?
Unread 12-04-2015, 12:44 PM

That last one is bullcrap. Same bullcrap as squattin hormones and biceps growth
Unread 12-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Yeah i know,but he's like real respectable in bb subculture,so i had to ask
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Bbers on gear are more often then not pretty dumb when it comes to Training nutrition and General body. Theres a reason most start roiding way before coming to a Natural limit
Unread 12-04-2015, 01:02 PM

This was Milos Sarcev,not some regular juice head..
Closed Thread