BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-09-2015, 12:42 PM

Default Reps for Shoulder Rehab

While playing basketball I experienced a pretty bad crackling sound in my injury-prone left shoulder, almost like a tear. Figured it was finally time to visit an orthopedic doctor and work my way back up from the bottom. He gave me the Thrower's 10 exercise program, but neglected to tell me the proper repetition range for the exercises. Anyone have any experience with these sort of exercises and how many sets/reps per exercise and rest periods in between are appropriate? Thanks.
Unread 12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Administrator

http://bfy.tw/3CmD
Unread 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM

To be fair, I did google it, and results range from 3 sets of 10 to 1 set of 30 per exercise. Thus why I asked for knowledgeable people of this board's experience.
Unread 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM

I would suggest you call your doctor and ask.
Unread 12-09-2015, 11:16 PM

Doctor is "unavailable until next week." Damn physicians and their tendencies to have lives outside of work. I suppose I just should have asked what the normal rep range is for rotator cuff work.
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:02 AM

For what it's worth, having done a bunch of rotator cuff work for physiotherapy while rehabbing tendinitis of the supraspinatus and subscapularis, I never did anything that would resemble a set of 30 reps. But that's what my personal physiotherapist recommended to me for my issue.

Maybe stick with the 3 sets of 10 for now with ample rest between sets, and stop if you feel any amount of unusually intense pain. Connect with your doctor and confirm when you can. It's a slow road to recovery, and those seemingly minor movements with very light weight make a world of difference to re-align your RC and lay the foundation for future strengthening. The key is to approach this stage of recovery with gaining mobility in mind. You're not looking for a pump or for the exercises to be challenging in any way. It's all about the movement, and consistency.

Again, follow up with your doctor and confirm when he/she is available.