BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-15-2017, 03:07 PM

They do suck. I've had anterior pelvic tilt for most of the last decade which causes continuous hamstring pulls so I'm very used to dealing with them and evaluating their seriousness. This is weird but I had to bend over to work on something this morning and I could feel it really stretching and thought "oh no I'm doing more damage to it" but ever since that stretch it has felt completely pain free... theoretically stretching a pulled hamstring should be bad for it...

Anyway,

Day 17:

Weight: 157 (+7 LBS)
Comment: I feel like I've established a pretty good starting point in which to try to gain ~1 LB per week from here on out. The water weight fluctuations the first two weeks made it a little unclear if I was undereating or overeating.

Bench Press: 130x5x5x5 (+45 LBS)

Comment: Typically, I've felt like I was leaving a little in the tank on my bench press at the end of each set. Today, I felt like I was getting close to my true 5rep max. I'm not sure if 135x5 would have been doable with clean form. So next workout I will go for that and make sure to use a spotter. I'm still using a very wide grip (outside the 2nd knurl) because I have shoulder pain/discomfort with a normal grip. This removes the shoulders and triceps more from the exercise but the wide grip is even more unsafe for someone with a torn pectoral injury...After I get to 135x5x5x5 I'm planning on seeing if the strength increase has enabled me to do a pain free normal grip with lighter weight and build from there. Long term I have no plans to try to get heavy with a wide grip.

Chinups: 3x10 (30, +15 reps)

Comment: When you get to high rep ranges for chin-ups its really annoying how much more swinging comes into play and I feel like dead hang gets much tougher because of the sheer length of the set. I'm contemplating adding my weight belt after 3x12 instead of 3x15 like the book recommends. I'd really like to get to a lower rep range I feel safer and more strength development with a slightly more controlled movement.

2nd workout with missed squats/deadlifts. I will likely avoid them on my Sunday workout as well. This would give me exactly a full week of rest before implementing them again next Wednesday. Just long enough to heal and not long enough to produce a detraining effect.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Day 20

Well I went to the gym anticipating one more rest session for the hamstring but I decided to test the bar and progress through warmup sets and everything felt just fine on squats/deads. Zero soreness during the lifts, which was awesome.

Day 20:
Weight: 156 (+6 lbs)

Squats: 135x5x5x5 (+50 Lbs)

Comment: Felt great to finally hit a full plate. The extra rest made this feel lighter than normal but my form wasn't perfect. I've read how elite squatters sometimes started their career perfecting their form with 135 lbs before progressing up weights so I've decided to continue doing 135x5 until I get the technique down much better. I'm going to change this to at least 4 sets next session and then 5 sets. I feel as though my muscle memory is just lacking and it shows in the consistency of my form. I may even go up reps until I get to sets of 8 repetitions if I have to.

Press: 105x5x5x5 (+20 lbs)

Comment: I only got 105x4x4x4 last time so this was a nice improvement. The final set was actually the easiest one so my warmup must have been insufficient. I plan to go to for 110 lbs next but I would imagine I'll only hit 4 reps.

Deadlift: 215x5 (+80 lbs)

Comment: Felt better than ever. Form was locked in, the extra rest must have done the trick. I will be going for 225x5 next workout. I may be getting close to where I need to not do deadlift every workout.

Chinups: 11,10,10 (31 reps, +16)

Comment: Improved my form drastically by slowing the speed of the descent a little. Knocked out a lot of the swaying back and forth. Next time I'll probably go for 3 sets of 12 and then add the weight belt after that.

Next workout I will aim to do a nice even plate workout for the start of week 4:

135x5 squat
135x5 bench
225x5 deadlift

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Unread 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Day 22:

Weight: 157 (+7 lbs)

Comment: Weight is kinda stuck around there which I feel is good. I'll aim for about 158-160 by the end of September. Then I'll go for ~4-5 lbs/month.

Squat: 135x5x3

Comment: I lifted Monday then Tuesday I was carrying things at work up and down a ladder and moving a bunch of heavy stuff. It was clear my legs weren't recovered and I had the hamstring pull last week so I just decided to abort mid 2nd set. Looking back I wish id finished out the 2nd set but two of the hottest chicks ive ever seen in a gym were next to me, one of which was squatting 185 for reps (though not below parallel) so I wasn't gonna chance failing or grunting. Live and fight another day.

Bench Press: 135x5x5x5 (+50 lbs)

Comment: Full plate. Still going wide grip. I can tell my right side is a bit weaker but I'm still not feeling any pain or major discomfort. I think I've decided to press forward a little further with the bench. Though I definitely need to see if I can start nudging the grip inward. I'm not sure what's causing the shoulder discomfort on normal grip, but I'm going to research it.

Deadlift: 225x5 (+90 lbs)

Comment: Two full plates. This felt good. I feel like I can progress 10 lbs at a time for a few more weeks but I might need to start alternating workouts with a different pulling movement very soon. Sights set on 315x5 since this appears to be a movement I can do fairly well as far as technique and prior injury history.

Curls: 80x5x5x5, wide grip on flat bar. Decided to give myself a rest from chins and try curling for one workout.

Skull Crushers: 55x12x12x10. I don't really hit my triceps on bench press day due to my wide grip so I may consider adding these in now on bench day going forward. I don't want to overdo my training too much before I get to heavy barbell training, but the occasional assistance exercise shouldn't hurt too much.

Overall feeling good. Hamstring was pretty sore again after the ladder Tuesday so continuing to monitor that. Now for a full pizza and sleep. I love bulking.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 09-20-2017 at 08:23 PM. Reason: a
Unread 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Default Day 26

Day 26: Well I had a minor layoff. Day 24 I got called into work and with the gym closing early on Friday, homework due, and a 3 hour night course I didn't have an opportunity to go. Saturday work ran right into the NC State - FSU (WOLFPACK!) game so no way I was missing drinking with friends for that.

Weight: 157 lbs (+7 lbs)

Squat: 135x5x5x6 (+50 lbs)

Comment: I've decided to stick with 135 pounds until I dial in the technique. I think I finally had a breakthrough between the 2nd and 3rd set when I identified I had some butt wink creeping in that was robbing my power on work sets. I got 6 on the last set by focusing on really utilizing the low back squat back angle and getting deep. I think I could have gone 7 reps. I'm going to stick with 135 lbs again next session and see if I can get drill this technique down before I set sights on big strength increases.

Overhead Press: 110x4x4x4 (+25 lbs)

Comment: This was a huge struggle as anticipated moving up 5 lbs. I cant microload at this gym so I'm going to have to alternate in the 4-6 rep range probably.

Deadlift: 235x5 (+100 lbs)

Comment: I really enjoy the deadlift. My technique feels good and the only issue I have is that sometimes my torn pec feels a little stretched after holding so much weight. I've yet to fail on a single deadlift rep and I don't think I've really had a close call yet. I have decided to start alternating deadlift every other workout going forward as I've reached the point where my lower back cant quite take a 3x per week pounding.

Chinups: 1 set of 11. These were great form and felt great. I just decided I'm sick of the unweighted versions and I switched over to heavy bicep curls for the last two sets.

Skull Crushers: 65lbs x10x8. Not a believer in smoking my triceps since they got hit hard on overhead press and I bench on Tuesdays, but I want to get the novice gains out of the way on this exercise with a few sets after my barbell workout.

Overall, feeling pretty good. I'd like to get my Day 28 and Day 30 workouts in for sure so I can summarize my exact progress and set goals for Day 31-60.

Unread 09-29-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Day 31

Missed some days.

Well my rotator cuff was bothering me so I decided on two rest days. Then the third day I was exhausted from all my classes/work. Then the 4th day I realized my gym card was lost.

So quite a lot of excuses but between some lower back pain/discomfort, barking rotator cuff, sinus infection, and just general exhaustion I'm hoping the time off did some good. I think I was a little overtrained given that my job is pretty active.

I've decided to back off the 5 reps for a little bit so I can focus on technique and add a little volume before I start piling on the heavier weights. I think working out in the 6-8 rep range for a little while will do me some good and hopefully help with injury prevention.

Weight: 157 (+7 lbs, but stuck)

Squat: 135x6x6x6.

Bench: 135x6x6x6.

Deadlift: 245x5

Biceps: 80x8x8

Workout went well and came out feeling better than I have in a long time. Doing some rotator cuff exercises before bench and in between warmup sets really loosened them up and made the exercise safer I believe. I don't plan to bench any higher than 135 for the forseeable future. Just going to add reps. Grip is becoming an issue on deadlift as the 5th rep was incredibly difficult to hang onto.

Unread 10-03-2017, 03:35 PM

Day 33 (I forgot to log this)

Weight: 160

Squat: 135x6x6x6

Press: 95x6x6x6

Took a day off deadlifting and did some back extensions. Still not able to perform glute/ham raises

Pullups: 4x4x8

I hadn't done these in forever. I guess I didn't have ample warmup because the first set I felt heavy as crap and could only do 4. I did four again the 2nd set and it felt a little better. Decided the third set just to do as many as possible and squeezed out 8. Just a good reminder to alternate pullups in a little more frequently as chin-ups don't necessarily develop your pullups that much.

Unread 10-03-2017, 03:41 PM

Day 35:

End of Five weeks. Still making good progress.

Weight: 161 (+11 lbs)

Squat: 145x5x5x5 (+60 lbs)

Comment: Decided to attempt sets of 5 again for squats and it went well. Form still isn't anywhere near perfect but it is improving. I'd like to get to 155x5 then maybe go back to 135 when it's not quite so heavy and really try to iron out all the kinks.

Bench: 135x7x7x7

Comment: Shoulder is still questionable so I'm not going heavier at the moment. I'm considering moving to the decline bench soon since that isn't supposed to be as rough on the shoulders. I'm pleased I've gotten as far as I have at least though without my torn pectoral presenting any issues.

Deadlift: 225x7

I really had trouble gripping 245x5 the other day so I decided to back down to 225 lbs and try to add a few more reps while I gave my grip strength a little time to improve.

EZ Curl 65x15x15

Performed these for the first time in months.

And I did some minor back and tricep work that I don't really recall the weights just to make sure they aren't completely ignored.

Unread 10-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Default Day 40

Been extremely busy. Had planned to take 2 days off and ended up taking four days off unfortunately. Had a really good workout though from being fresh.

Weight: 160 (forgot to take creatine two days, +10 lbs)

Squat: 150x5x5x5 (+65 lbs)

Comment: Struggled but got it up. Felt a little bit of pain in lower back not sure if that was from form issue or just me putting forth max effort. Guess ill find out tomorrow lol.

Bench Press: 145x5x5x8 (+60 lbs)

Comment: Decided to ask for a spotter and went for broke on the bench. Really surprising gains. Think it could be from the rotator cuff work I've been putting in but not sure... I thought I could get 5 but I felt so fresh on the final set I just kept repping.

Deadlift: 250x4 (+115 lbs)

Comment: I nearly had the 5th rep. It was a much of a grip issue as anything. I'm hesitant to switch to the overhand grip but I may need to. I was really losing grip on the 4th rep and barely got that one.

Curls: 80x10x10

Skull Crushers: 65x10x10

Overall I'm feeling pretty good. I've definitely gained some mass although not being nearly as lean I don't showcase it as well. I'm pretty surprised at how small I look given the weight increases I've made. It just goes to show what a waste of time it is to screw around with the light weights and high rep ranges early on. Going to keep plugging.

Unread 10-10-2017, 09:07 PM

Default Day 42

So the other day I blew all my previous lifts out due to taking a few days off to recharge. I knew tonight would be tough since I drank a lot on day 40. Progress is still nice through the end of week 6.

Weight: 162 (+12 lbs after 6 weeks. Exactly 1 lb per week plus 6 lbs from the carb load/creatine boost I get that first week.

Squat: 135x7x7x7

Comment: I backed off on the weight here. I put 155 on my back and it felt really heavy. Plus my form was ugly last workout so I decided to lighten the load and focus.

Overhead Press: 105x5x4x5.

Comment: First time I'd pressed in 7 days. And first time going heavy in 16 days. I think all my rotator cuff work has really helped here. These reps felt good. I'm glad I backed off this exercise a little before my shoulders became a huge problem.

Pullups: 6x6x6. Shorter rest in between than normal. About 2 minutes. Needed to get home to study for a midterm.

Eat, shower, study, sleep -> GROW

Unread 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Whoops i forgot to post last workout.

Squat: 145x5x5x5

Bench: 150x5x5x5

Deadlift: 250x5