BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default "Forced" volume and intensity progression.

I wanted to get some thoughts/input on this method of progression I came up with. I doubt I actually am the first to come up with it, because its pretty basic, but I dont know of any others specifically that have done it.

My problem with progression is that I usually am not focused enough with my loading and progression and experience inconsistent gains, that dont last long. I think part of it isn't being patient enough, or experienced enough to know when to push, and when to back off. So I came up with a way to "force" myself into progress, in the short term, and hopefully this will be consistent for long term progress.

So basically, the idea is a 2-3 week "loading phase". Right now im doing Upper/lower 4x per week. (2-upper, 2-lower) EVERY workout, you must progress in either intensity OR volume (total # of reps). There are 2 exercises per workout, and they stay the same for the whole loading phase.

EX:

1st lower workout

1) Deadlift (345) 5,3 [8 total reps]
2) Squat (205) 12,8 [20 total reps]
3a) Abs (((These are just accesssory, so dont focus on progress so much)))
3b) Calves

2nd lower workout

1) Deadlift (345) 4,4,4 (12 total reps)
2) Squat (205) 12,8,8 (28 total reps)
3a) same
3b) same

So basically the goal is to "master" a weight by doing more volume until you are ready to drop the volume back down and start over. For my 1st "heavy" exercise i'd like to keep the reps per set in the 1-6 rep range, and as soon as I feel ready to go for 6,5,4 or 6,4,2 or something similar then i'll go for it, and then progress the intensity. For the 2nd exercise, the goal might be to get to something like 15,12,10 and then go up.

After 2-3 weeks, i'd do one "deload" workout and then start over. The reason I think it will work, is that its low volume to start, so you should always be able to add reps (even if you cant add reps on your first set, you can always add an extra set to get more volume) And the volume doesn't get out of control, because any time you add load or after two weeks, the volume resets.

What do you guys think?

Anything else out there like this?
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankid View Post
I wanted to get some thoughts/input on this method of progression I came up with. I doubt I actually am the first to come up with it, because its pretty basic, but I dont know of any others specifically that have done it.

My problem with progression is that I usually am not focused enough with my loading and progression and experience inconsistent gains, that dont last long. I think part of it isn't being patient enough, or experienced enough to know when to push, and when to back off. So I came up with a way to "force" myself into progress, in the short term, and hopefully this will be consistent for long term progress.

So basically, the idea is a 2-3 week "loading phase". Right now im doing Upper/lower 4x per week. (2-upper, 2-lower) EVERY workout, you must progress in either intensity OR volume (total # of reps). There are 2 exercises per workout, and they stay the same for the whole loading phase.

EX:

1st lower workout

1) Deadlift (345) 5,3 [8 total reps]
2) Squat (205) 12,8 [20 total reps]
3a) Abs (((These are just accesssory, so dont focus on progress so much)))
3b) Calves

2nd lower workout

1) Deadlift (345) 4,4,4 (12 total reps)
2) Squat (205) 12,8,8 (28 total reps)
3a) same
3b) same

So basically the goal is to "master" a weight by doing more volume until you are ready to drop the volume back down and start over. For my 1st "heavy" exercise i'd like to keep the reps per set in the 1-6 rep range, and as soon as I feel ready to go for 6,5,4 or 6,4,2 or something similar then i'll go for it, and then progress the intensity. For the 2nd exercise, the goal might be to get to something like 15,12,10 and then go up.

After 2-3 weeks, i'd do one "deload" workout and then start over. The reason I think it will work, is that its low volume to start, so you should always be able to add reps (even if you cant add reps on your first set, you can always add an extra set to get more volume) And the volume doesn't get out of control, because any time you add load or after two weeks, the volume resets.

What do you guys think?

Anything else out there like this?
adding sets is an old school method and can be a way to drag out progression so you don't outpace rate of adaptation. adding sets can be deceptive tho and doesn't necessarily indicate or stimulate progress.

as for your set up, I can't say I fully understand what you mean. if you are an intermediate lifter you don't need any fancy routines or progression methods.