BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Huge Patriots fan. And not a new bandwagon fan. Been watching the Pats since 1975 in the Steve Grogan days. Yes, I'm old.

Bunch of lousy games on Turkey Day. And for once, I'm having thanksgiving at my house and have control of the TV. Yet, no good games.

Pats @NO...game of the year Monday night.

And I HATE the Steelers.

KY

Why do you hate the Steelers? Though I'm a huge fan...born and raised in Steeltown....objectively...I have to say they're a good organization, the Rooney's are great owners. It seems pretty obvious a lot of people outside Steeler nation hate Heinz Ward...understandable. But we're not even really big rivals of yours.

Although I'm nervous here. Big Ben kills me. Even though its common knowledge around the 'burgh he's cocky and bangs sluts like it's going out of style....I don't mind cause if I was him I'd be doing the exact same thing. He's a great quarterback (I want to believe...and I think he'll continue to improve)....but the team really scares me w/o Polomolu. The Steelers always seem to have a very specific rhythm to their game and losing a key player it can just fall to pieces....granted special teams is really helping the process here.

Pats / N.E. will def. be one of the games of the year. For me it was Vikings/Steelers. i thought that was gonna be the spring board to a nice run. Terrible. We should have lost 4 games all year MAX. If we were really on top of things 2.
Unread 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM

Haven't liked the Steelers since the Bledsoe days. That team always talks before a game. They're not in the division, but even since the days of Bledsoe it's been Steelers/Pats/Colts.

KY
Unread 11-25-2009, 02:07 PM

steelers/pats/colts ?
Unread 11-26-2009, 09:02 PM

Woo hoo! Cowboys win.

Now if the giants can lose that would be GREAT! So far 16-0 in the 3rd, Broncos winning.
Unread 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to akwaman

Anyone else think that college FB > NFL?

Or is that just because I'm in college?
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:07 AM

Two different games. I love both of them. Part of CFB's appeal is the availability of games both in person and on TV multiple days/nights of the week.

College Football is full of innovation and different strategies at most levels. There is typically more emotion, luck, and momentum in a college game than a pro game.

Pro Football is more about matchups, and despite the Wildcat and few other wrinkles is largely the same from a schematic standpoint. It is all about execution, and is my guy better than your guy.

I think in CFB a lot of games can be won with coaching, while in the NFL I would argue that most of the time if a coach has a large impact during the game itself, it is often negative.
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM

CFL > U.S. College football > NFL.
4. Use google as well - Add "site:lylemcdonald.com". Google can find those short strings of letters.
5. You are not a rodent so follow up with pubmed (http://pubmed.org) use "+human" "-rat" "-mouse" modifiers
6. Check the STICKY threads.
7. use google to find all my posts.
8. Supplement evidence
9. Private message are cheerfully ignored.
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfullbr View Post
I think in CFB a lot of games can be won with coaching, while in the NFL I would argue that most of the time if a coach has a large impact during the game itself, it is often negative.
Disagree. In college football, at least big-time college football, the most important thing is to have bigger, faster, more-talented guys. The talent gap between the top teams and most of the teams they play is gigantic; a trained monkey could coach Texas to a win over Louisiana Tech or whomever. Unless that trained monkey's name was Rich Rodriguez, although if you watched Michigan this year (which I did, every weekend, with sorrow in my heart) it was obvious that they're just not talented at all compared to most decent opponents. What matters there more than anything else is recruiting. Not to say that coaches play no role in game prep or execution; they have their schemes and their attitude and style is largely reflected by the players. But talent is the most important factor.

In the NFL, everyone is huge, fast and strong. The players are the cream of the athletic crop, two deep, at every position, on every team. Sure, there are still talent gaps. But they're relatively small and coaching makes a much greater difference in terms of W/L than in college. Schemes are more complicated, preparation is more complicated, players are more able to change tactics throughout the game so strategy is more fluid and reactive to circumstances under a good coach. Coaches' wills are also more apparent in the NFL. Look at the way the Patriots play versus the way the Bills play. Belichick is a win-at-all-costs killer and his team plays accordingly. Dick Jauron (gone now, but he was there for a while so the point is still valid) is a pansy. So the Bills played scared. That kind of difference isn't as evident in CFB, where, again, talent is paramount.

I do agree that bad coaching can lose a lot of games in the NFL, especially w/r/t clock management at the end of halves. But you could just as easily argue that good coaching can win a lot of games. Witness the Colts' fifth-straight fourth-quarter comeback. I know Peyton is awesome and all, but he's not coaching his receivers or O-line or running backs all week, or managing the defense during the game.
I am the number one Ninja and I have killed all the Shoguns in front of me. You've got some new young Shoguns trying to step up—Amare, Jermaine, Ming. But by the time they kill this Shogun, I'll be retired, and I'll have two platinum swords and five NBA MVP balls. That is why one day I said my game will be like the Pythagorean Theorem—hard to figure out.
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Good arguments LBSS.

I think maybe college is too broad of a game to try and argue our sides. I was not thinking FBS Top 10 vs. FCS scrub when stating my point. Week in and week out the majority of the games I see are ACC games. Aside from this, do you think Rich Rod is a square peg in a round hole in Ann Arbor? I have a special disliking for Big 10 athletics in general, and UofM especially, and I am tickled to see him up there. Take away Pat White and Steve Slaton and the man is just an above average coach still at WVU by way of the Bowden express (Tulane w/Cheater McBowden, Clemson with Tammy) making a ton of money at clinics speaking about the spread.

I agree with you on your Belichick/Jauron argument. NFL is totally a game of how many players are on the coach's side and how many aren't. And a guy like Belichick either by winning over, or firing/hiring will get guys that buy into his system. Jauron was an above-average DC but apparently cannot win over a locker room or hire/fire the right people.
Unread 11-30-2009, 12:16 PM

I see the Colts thing differently as well. I think it is a large part Dungy's system still in place as a holdover, but it is a large part past success and player leadership.

If you put Mark Sanchez and the Jets coaching staff (another new HC, arguably considered a good coach) in place Manning/Indy Staff I doubt the Receivers Coach and O-Line coach overcome the fact that Sanchez is apparently color blind, afraid of the cold weather, and went to the Dick Jauron school of hard knocks.

Long story short I don't think anything you said is wrong, I just have a different point of view. You also seemed to be pretty knowledgeable, do you coach or just watch a crapload of football?