BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Fiber - It's Natures Broom

Article on the main site
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM

Following along with the whole yin/yang of fiber, the reduction of cholesterol can also lead to a reduction in androgen production as well, correct? Life is just so many checks and balances...
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Blood cholesterol is not the rate limiting step for testosterone production, maybe if levels got stupid low.
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Another great article!
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:07 PM

lyle, i understand that fiber mixes with the chyme and binds to some of the fat in the large intestine, causing some calories to be excreted.

my question is: would the effect be greatest when co-ingesting a high-fiber and a high-fat food, or would there be no added benefit?

for example, say someone eats the majority of their daily fat intake for breakfast around 7:AM (eggs and bacon, for example), then 12 hours later, eats a high-fiber/low fat dinner (e.g. chicken breast, black beans and broccoli).

would the long interval between the high-fat meal and the high-fiber meal negate any of the "calorie wasting" properties, or does one see the same benefits no matter the timing?

i realize i'm splitting hairs somewhat, but i'm genuinely curious.

thanks
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Administrator

I want you to really think about that one for a few minutes and see what you come up with. Focus on how long you think dietary fat stays in the gut.
Unread 09-24-2014, 05:37 AM

I have these Mission brand mini/fajita size tortillas that, if the printed nutrition facts are to be believed, contain "13g total carb, 10g fiber". During the UD2 low carb phase, I'll usually eat a couple of these, sometimes a few, with meat dishes.

I read the article, but I still don't have a clean answer: How should I count these toward carb limits for UD2?
Don't count the fiber? (3 grams each)
Do count it? (13 grams each)
Count it times 0.6, since fiber has about 60% of the calories of normal carbs? (9 grams each)

[edit] Is the answer different depending on soluble/insoluble? (I can't identify the actual fiber component in the ingredients, so I can't say for sure which it is.)

These are huge differences, especially if I eat a few of these things. So, not nitpicking.

--

By the way, I'm a bit skeptical of the numbers. Quest bars have similar numbers, but they're made largely of iso-malto-oligo-saccharides so that makes sense.
The #1 ingredient of these, though, is whole wheat flour. Not sure how we get 10/13ths fiber from there... but let's just say it's true for the sake of the question.

Thanks.
Unread 09-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisita View Post
I have these Mission brand mini/fajita size tortillas that, if the printed nutrition facts are to be believed, contain "13g total carb, 10g fiber". During the UD2 low carb phase, I'll usually eat a couple of these, sometimes a few, with meat dishes.

I read the article, but I still don't have a clean answer: How should I count these toward carb limits for UD2?
Don't count the fiber? (3 grams each)
Do count it? (13 grams each)
Count it times 0.6, since fiber has about 60% of the calories of normal carbs? (9 grams each)

[edit] Is the answer different depending on soluble/insoluble? (I can't identify the actual fiber component in the ingredients, so I can't say for sure which it is.)

These are huge differences, especially if I eat a few of these things. So, not nitpicking.

--

By the way, I'm a bit skeptical of the numbers. Quest bars have similar numbers, but they're made largely of iso-malto-oligo-saccharides so that makes sense.
The #1 ingredient of these, though, is whole wheat flour. Not sure how we get 10/13ths fiber from there... but let's just say it's true for the sake of the question.

Thanks.
A very well phrased question that bothers me too. I eat TONS of vegetables and brans and I always make questimates and compromises deciding whether or not to count the fiber calories. I usually take the middle route and count 50% on high fiber days.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates
Unread 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Peter, thanks, I saw that thread, but the discussion there is just about calorie counting.

The issue of carb counting, for UD2/CKD purposes, is left unaddressed.