BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2013, 06:28 AM

Default Shocked by DEXA scan results, what to do going forward?

I just had a DEXA scan done and am kinda shocked by the results. I'm 34, male, 6 feet, 196 pounds, definitely got a bit of extra fat, love handles, but no big gut or similar. The dexa scan put me at 24.4% body fat, which according to wikipedia and other sources is the starting point of obese. How can I be obese?

Pictures, unflexed:

http://tinypic.com/r/okdgl5/6
(Sorry, rotated the image on my computer, but somehow tinypic screwed it up again)
http://tinypic.com/r/1j514/6

My goal is strength, but I also want to be lean... as in athletic, not bodybuilder like ripped. My strength numbers right now are BP 207lbs, squat 355, Press 145, Deadlift 440lbs.

What would be the best strategy going forward? Diet down to at least 15% and then focus on strength again?
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

You have a protruding gut and love handles. You are pretty much obese. You're also too old to do the big fat bulked up guy thing, not that it's good for anyone at any age, especially naturals. Only drugged up guys can pull that off because they inject hormones and don't have bad hormone profiles from being fat.

See my sig.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelw3 View Post
I just had a DEXA scan done and am kinda shocked by the results. I'm 34, male, 6 feet, 196 pounds, definitely got a bit of extra fat, love handles, but no big gut or similar. The dexa scan put me at 24.4% body fat, which according to wikipedia and other sources is the starting point of obese. How can I be obese?

Pictures, unflexed:

(Sorry, rotated the image on my computer, but somehow tinypic screwed it up again)

My goal is strength, but I also want to be lean... as in athletic, not bodybuilder like ripped. My strength numbers right now are BP 207lbs, squat 355, Press 145, Deadlift 440lbs.

What would be the best strategy going forward? Diet down to at least 15% and then focus on strength again?
I would have guessed 20-25% without knowing just looking at pics, so seems like you got a good dexa result, at least now you know your true starting point.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
You have a protruding gut and love handles. You are pretty much obese.
Dang...if he is obese I am pretty much walking diabetes.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM

No offense but at 287lb what did you think?

OP - just diet down.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm 34, male, 6 feet, 196 pounds... The dexa scan put me at 24.4% body fat
BTW, your BMI is 26.6, pretty close
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:37 AM

read Lyle's article on training for fat loss OP.

basically eat at a deficit, lift heavy and do some metabolic training in addition to heavy lifting.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Jimjack.. I was about your weight at 6 foot 4. And I developed diabetes..

Diet that fat off (srs)
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Pictures, unflexed:

Diet down to 10-12%. Consider kick-starting your dieting efforts with RFL.
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks, guys.. at least good to know where I stand.

There is lots of info about how much fat gain to expect when gaining muscle. But I couldn't find anything about what sort of muscle loss to expect, when losing fat. I'm consuming about 1.5 gram of protein per lbs of body weight, train 3 times according to the lyles recommendations (lower volume, keep intensity high) and got a medium caloric deficit (about 500 calories).

I'm assuming even if I do those things, not 100% of the weight loss can be fat, no?