BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Stubborn Fat Solution
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-09-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Help needed choosing the right program

Hello,

After stumbling across Lyleís information online (awesome stuffÖ well written articles.. all scientifically backed.. love it!) and now Iím torn between which of the fat loss programs I should try so Iím hoping for a little guidance. First a little background:

Iím 44yrs old
225 lbs
6í2Ē
17% bf (according to the electric handheld bf tester at my gym)
Type 1 diabetic (since age 14)

I've worked out on and off for the past 15yrs. I've gone through phases where Iíll work out hard while eating fairly strict diet for 1-2 yrs then Iíll fall off the wagon for 6mo to 1.5yrs. Iíve repeated this cycle at least 3-4 times. Currently, Iím back in the gym (have been for the past 1yr) and on a very clean diet. My goal now is to be able to see my abs (never been there) and put on size. I know the two goals are at odds with each other so Iíve decided to diet first to drop BF and then Iíll go for a bulking cycle after Iím lean. For the past year Iíve tried to do both and while Iím leaner and stronger than when I started, my body weight hasn't changed all that much (good I suppose) but getting lean enough to see my abs always seems to be out of reach for me. On top of that I've all but hit a plateau at the gym and Iím making little if any gains. Then I stumbled across Lyleís siteÖ Wow.. Now Iím motivated but before choosing a particular diet (UD2 vs Rapid Fat Loss Handbook) Iíd really like an expert opinion on my particular situation.

I really donít want to lose any hard earned gains but I suppose Iím okay with a little loss if I can shed 15-20 lbs of fat over the next 2-3 months. I would love to get down to 10% or slightly less. My concern with the RFLH is what if any detrimental effects will this have on my health as a type 1 diabetic. Also, because Iím on insulin there are times when I absolutely must eat some carbs (soda or what have you) to counter the occasional hypoglycemic event. Is the RFLH doable as a type 1 diabetic under these circumstances?

Secondly, (provided the RFLH will work for me).. once I've lost the desired BF, can I then smoothly transfer over to the UD2 and continue on? Or to put it another way, what would the experts recommend in terms of diet/workout following RFLH? My long term goal is to remain lean (at least as much as possible during bulk ups) and add size/strength.

Oh.. BTW: My current work out regimen is as follows:
Mon Ė Legs
Tue Ė 45 min cardio (low intensity/55 steps min)
Tue Ė Back/Biceps
Wed Ė 45 min cardio (low intensity/55 steps min)
Thurs ĖChest/Triís/Shoulders
Fri Ė 45 min cardio (low intensity/55 steps min)
Sat - (sometimes Iíll hit another round of cardio.. but not every weekend)
Sun - (sometimes Iíll hit another round of cardio.. but not every weekend)
Unread 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Oh and BTW: My cardio is on a stair climber and my workouts consist of 3-4 exercises per muscle group - 3 sets of 6-14 reps (higher reps on the first sets / lower on the last... All to failure - 1-1.5min rest between sets). Total time lifting runs 1-1.5hrs. I'm also taking 75mg cynomel per day (1.5 weeks into a 6-8 week cycle) along with 500mg test per week. Lifting days also include 15 min cardio to warm up.

Not only are my gains minuscule but my fat loss has been painfully slow... I'm sure this is because I've been trying to build mass and lose fat at the same time.. not a good approach I know.
Unread 11-09-2014, 01:44 PM

Why would you want to waste the gear going no where? Go on PCT and once complete diet down to 10% like you said you wanted to. Save the test for your bulk. Given your situation it sounds like you need Flexible Dieting book. There's no reason you can't get to 10% following it's guidelines. And your training program sounds useless. Go read up the articles on the main site.
Unread 11-09-2014, 08:19 PM

The main reason for staying on the gear at this point is to help prevent muscle loss while running the T3. Just for my own education, why do you feel the "Flexible Dieting Book" would be a better fit than the "RFL Book"? In light of the fact that I've been struggling with this damn BF for over a year now and getting nowhere (seemingly), the RFL book is very appealing (the idea of losing 20 lb of fat in 2 months is a whole lot more exciting/motivating than chiseling away at it for another 6+ months). Plus the sooner I can get leaned out the sooner I can go back on a bulking cycle and add some LBM. Also, (again, for my own education as I'm always trying to learn new things) why do you feel my training program sounds useless? I realize it hasn't netted optimal results in terms of cutting fat or adding LBM at a respectable rate but I could make a whole lot better use out of some real world advice as to what I should be doing vs just telling me "it sounds useless" without a "why"..... If nothing else, point me to the article(s) that I should be reading since I've already been combing through everything I can find on the main site.. total gold mine BTW! Thanks in advance for the replies!
Unread 11-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Then cut the test to 150-200mg a week to TRT levels if you feel that you can't drop the T3 as well. Truth is you're on the cusp of category 1 RFL which means you can't run it more than 2 weeks at a time without a 2 week break. You won't be losing 20 lbs of fat in 2 months on it. You're more realistically looking at 3-4 months to hit your 10% goal no matter how you slice it: RFL or something more moderate.

As for the training, frequency isn't optimal and failure shouldn't be an end goal in a set. If you go into the articles section plenty of subheadings to direct you to the right areas you need to read. Not to be that guy, but have you even skimmed them to see what there is regarding training?
Unread 11-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info! Honestly, I've mostly been reading the various fat loss articles and not so much the training articles... I will set aside some time to read through the various training articles in the next few days.

I would however like to make a decision on which program to run with (so I can place my order) so do you see any issues (health wise) for a T1 diabetic on the RFL program? I'm pretty good at maintaining my blood glucose levels but there will inevitably be some times (hopefully not very often) when I will absolutely have to eat/drink some carbs (a bit of Mtn Dew usually does the trick) to raise my blood glucose levels if they get too low... Bottom line: I'm hoping you or one of the other experienced guys on this board can give me a sanity check for (a.) the viability of a T1 diabetic running the RFL program and (b.) confirmation that I'm not going to blow the whole program if I have to eat/drink some carbs to counter any unforeseen hypoglycemic events.
Unread 11-11-2014, 04:47 PM

Anyone?
Unread 11-11-2014, 05:39 PM

I don't know how appropriate ketogenic diets are for diabetics - UD2 is a cyclical ketogenic diet and RFL is a ketogenic diet as well. I am not diabetic and I haven't done any research on the topic.

That being said, part of the premise of these diets is to minimize the amount or carbs so that your body has to rely on on fat stores and protein for fuel. That, coupled with drastically lowered calories leads to rapid fat loss.

As I stated, I have not done any research on the appropriateness of ketogenic diets for diabetics, but off the cuff, it doesn't sounds like the best approach - certainly not UD2 where you regularly incorporate one heck of a carb load with the concomitant spike in insulin.

As suggested, I would look for a more flexible approach.