BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-03-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Fully machine based workout routine?

I will be starting a surgical residency in july. I don't anticipate having much free time to work out, and I would also like to minimize expenditures as much as possible. My apt has a basic machine/dumbbell gym. Would it be possible to make gains or are free weights absolutely necessary. Not looking to optimize results here, progress (even if it is slower) would be okay.
Unread 06-03-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne08 View Post
I will be starting a surgical residency in july. I don't anticipate having much free time to work out, and I would also like to minimize expenditures as much as possible. My apt has a basic machine/dumbbell gym. Would it be possible to make gains or are free weights absolutely necessary. Not looking to optimize results here, progress (even if it is slower) would be okay.
Free weights are not absolutely necessary at all.
Unread 06-04-2018, 09:48 PM

Should be fine for what you're looking to do. I would add pushups to the routine for sure though. And if you can implement pullups, even better.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-05-2018, 11:39 AM

Machines can be fine but they have to fit you. This is actually one of the nice things about a typical gym. Even if many of the machines are useless or don't fit your body type, there are so darn many of them that inevitably some of them are actually pretty helpful.

Unfortunately, apartment fitness centers tend to have lower quality equipment and less selection. Usually you can put together good routines though with whatever you have to work with, dumbbells and other implements, bodyweight exercises, and some creativity.
Unread 06-07-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Machines can be fine but they have to fit you. This is actually one of the nice things about a typical gym. Even if many of the machines are useless or don't fit your body type, there are so darn many of them that inevitably some of them are actually pretty helpful.

Unfortunately, apartment fitness centers tend to have lower quality equipment and less selection. Usually you can put together good routines though with whatever you have to work with, dumbbells and other implements, bodyweight exercises, and some creativity.
Thats a good point. Usually apartments have one "Do it all" machine in the middle of a 15x15 room . pretty underwhelming, particularly if they dont fit your body too well

Another good reason to implement pushups and pullups. Two of the best exercises to make sure you're getting a well rounded workout

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-07-2018, 04:04 PM

I do mostly machines these days. The hammer strength line is absolutely the best ones I've used. Cables are great too.