BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-20-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
TIA. And I've been trying to be "good". Protein every meal and snack. Random recent day:

4 oz. ground turkey 22 g
4 oz. lean ham 20 g
3.5 oz. pork chop 28 g
170 g quark 14 g
Quest bar 12 g

96 g protein, picked up 10 more from veggies & coffee
Missing the point too.

You are eating in a way that most people find unrealistic. Obviously it's not hard to eat 100g protein, if you're willing to eat in a way that most people don't really want to. Such as what you posted above. Most people, including even Funkord, do not want to live their lives like that. It's also expensive in most places. Considerably more expensive than protein shakes.
Unread 05-20-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Missing the point too.

Considerably more expensive than protein shakes.
Even when I'm agreeing with you. Smiling here really...

Quote:
Agreeableness: (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/detached)
Fair to say there is a wide gap between us on this scale.
Unread 05-20-2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly70 View Post
Even when I'm agreeing with you. Smiling here really...

Fair to say there is a wide gap between us on this scale.
Lol I thought TIA was an acronym for this is asinine
Unread 05-20-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
You've missed the point.

We're talking about simply reaching the standard 1g per lbs body weight, let alone anything greater than that. Lyle has oftentimes recommended 1.5g per lbs in LBM when on a diet.

But sticking to the standard stock maintenance/bulking recommendation of 1g per lbs, when you weigh upwards of 170lbs that becomes a lot of protein eating to keep up with. Potentially expensive too.

What Hectic is saying here is that, in the long term, for many people the only workable way of keeping that up will turn out to be a couple shakes a day to supplement their protein intake from food.

And you know what. Smaller people eat less. And I've found a number of instances where women were struggling to consume as much as even 100g protein in solid food form.
No, I haven't missed the point. You're making my point for me. The 1g/lb which has become the "standard" minimum recommendation is exagerrated. That's why many people can't achieve it even with a well balanced diet. 1g/lb is 2.2g/kg.

The International Olympic Committee says this on their 'Nutrition for Athletes' handbook: https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/D...on-Booklet.pdf
"Protein intake targets for both strength and endurance athletes have been set at about 1.2-1.6 g/kg body mass per day. Dietary surveys show that most athletes easily meet these goals, even without the intake of expensive supplements. Athletes who are most at risk of failing to meet these targets are those who restrict their energy intake and food variety"

The World Health Organization on the 'Protein and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition' found that 0.83g/kg is sufficient for 97.5% of the human population to maintain nitrogen balance.
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...5_eng.pdf?ua=1

So to recap:
WHO-World Health Org - 0.83g/kg (0.38g/lb)
IOC-Int'l Olympic Comm - 1.2-1.6g/kg (0.55-0.73g/lb)
BroScience? - 2.2g/kg (1g/lb)

I don't know about competitive bodybuilders, but for regular people, common sense tells me that I sure as hell can't possibly need more protein than an OLYMPIC LEVEL ATHLETE.

At the Bros rate of 1g/lb, I'd need 125g of protein and that would be impossible without protein shakes (a highly processed food) or lots of meat (not good for your health in large amounts). I was a sucker and fell for it before and used to chug protein shakes before I figured out it's a scam. So, for me personally, since I'm nowhere near an olympian, I take the midpoint between the WHO and IOC, and aim for 1g/kg, or 55g of protein, which is easily achievable on real foods. And when eating at maintenance, it's usually higher than that.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 05-20-2017 at 09:35 AM.
Unread 05-20-2017, 09:42 AM

When i cook hamburger meat for a meal I always cook at least 1 pound which is 100g by itself. 10 extra grams if i go for the cheese. I wouldn't even want to dirty the pan for less than that.

Add the high protein pasta to your daily life, a can of pork and beans, a few eggs, and a protein bar + shake. Now you're cooking with gas. I usually use 2 scoops of whey. They're like 50 cents. Live a little.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 05-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel130 View Post
No, I haven't missed the point. You're making my point for me. The 1g/lb which has become the "standard" minimum recommendation is exagerrated. That's why many people can't achieve it even with a well balanced diet. 1g/lb is 2.2g/kg.

The International Olympic Committee says this on their 'Nutrition for Athletes' handbook: https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/D...on-Booklet.pdf
"Protein intake targets for both strength and endurance athletes have been set at about 1.2-1.6 g/kg body mass per day. Dietary surveys show that most athletes easily meet these goals, even without the intake of expensive supplements. Athletes who are most at risk of failing to meet these targets are those who restrict their energy intake and food variety"

The World Health Organization on the 'Protein and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition' found that 0.83g/kg is sufficient for 97.5% of the human population to maintain nitrogen balance.

So to recap:

I don't know about competitive bodybuilders, but for regular people, common sense tells me that I sure as hell can't possibly need more protein than an OLYMPIC LEVEL ATHLETE.

At the Bros rate of 1g/lb, I'd need 125g of protein and that would be impossible without protein shakes (a highly processed food) or lots of meat (not good for your health in large amounts). I was a sucker and fell for it before and used to chug protein shakes before I figured out it's a scam. So, for me personally, since I'm nowhere near an olympian, I take the midpoint between the WHO and IOC, and aim for 1g/kg, or 55g of protein, which is easily achievable on real foods. And when eating at maintenance, it's usually higher than that.

This is not enough protein. There's plenty of info in his articles and around the site as to why these recommendations are too low. You're talking about the RDA it sounds like, and they are whey off. (Get it?)

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 05-20-2017 at 09:46 AM. Reason: A
Unread 05-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Cool

Quote:

So to recap:

You did miss the point.

I'll explain to you where you are, since you don't seem to realise it yet. It's a forum where the primary concern of most of the members is building muscle (bulking up) and then cutting fat while retaining the muscle. In some circles, this is known as bodybuilding. Here it's called body recomposition.

Whatever the semantics of it, the concerns here go beyond merely maintaining nitrogen balance. In fact, the concerns go beyond strength and endurance. Hypertrophy. Hypertrophy. Hypertrophy.

The creator of the site has written endlessly on protein requirements for bodybuilding and for cutting on a diet. They are almost certainly greater, both anecdotally and empirically, than 1.2g per kg. If you have managed to build considerable muscle and strength on measly amounts and then cut to super lean while maintaining that muscle, then speak up!

Otherwise... And so, to sum up... The numbers you quoted are only part of a picture, and one that does not apply in this context.
Unread 05-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
This is not enough protein. There's plenty of info in his articles and around the site as to why these recommendations are too low. You're talking about the RDA it sounds like, and they are whey off. (Get it?)
I also quoted the International Olympic Committee recommendations for olympians. Did you miss that part? Why would they short-change elite athletes and recommend less protein than they actually need? They wouldn't.
Unread 05-20-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I also quoted the International Olympic Committee recommendations for olympians. Did you miss that part? Why would they short-change elite athletes and recommend less protein than they actually need? They wouldn't.
You're absolutely right. Bigpecs and the other guy are.meat and protein industry shills. Please continue eating .5grams protein/lb or whatever and continue being Olympic level, what do us schmucks know.
Unread 05-20-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Lol. Go read the Protein Book by Lyle if you want to get a clue. Kthxbi