BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default Great Article by Stuart Phillips

Protein, BCAA, Occlusion and light weight training all discussed
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Great read, thanks.
Unread 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM

"In an energy deficit higher intakes might be of benefit to protect muscle mass, but the exact number for what to eat when in energy deficit is a little hard to pin down, but I’d have no issues with 2-2.5 g/kg/d [0.91-1.14 g/lb/d] or 0.5k/kg/meal 4 times daily."

Assuming someone isn't doing an extreme diet such as PSMF, the high end here appears to be a bit low in comparison to your Protein Book. I don't have it on me at the moment (I'll try to dig it out later when I'm home) for exact numbers. But, off the top of your head would you have expected him to say something around 1.5 g/lb. for the high end?

Of course he also doesn't go into detail about the individual's body fat level when in a deficit. I imagine 1.14 g/lb. would be just fine for a normal trained individual at ~15% bodyfat for example, in a moderate deficit.

Last edited by alcahuetej : 04-19-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
"In an energy deficit higher intakes might be of benefit to protect muscle mass, but the exact number for what to eat when in energy deficit is a little hard to pin down, but Iíd have no issues with 2-2.5 g/kg/d [0.91-1.14 g/lb/d] or 0.5k/kg/meal 4 times daily."

Assuming someone isn't doing an extreme diet such as PSMF, the high end here appears to be a bit low in comparison to your Protein Book. I don't have it on me at the moment (I'll try to dig it out later when I'm home) for exact numbers. But, off the top of your head would you have expected him to say something around 1.5 g/lb. for the high end?

Of course he also doesn't go into detail about the individual's body fat level when in a deficit. I imagine 1.14 g/lb. would be just fine for a normal trained individual at ~15% bodyfat for example, in a moderate deficit.

But don't you see, it's only the same old issue. "Hard to pin down", and why? Because this sort of thing, simply, is just not well studied in very lean and muscular individuals trying to get even leaner while preserving muscle mass. So the data, in any meaningful quantities, just ain't there. Which is why the advice is to err on the side of caution. Because at the very least, if you are consuming 1.5 g/lb, you have covered all bases and don't have a theoretical suboptimal nutrient consumption to blame.
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Do you believe that there is any truth to the notion that there is a certain maximum amount of protein that can be digested and/or utilized in a single meal?
Well as I said above thereís a useful limit but I think thatís reflected in the intakes Iím talking about above. While our group has continually been tagged with the 20g/meal tag (which equates to ~0.25g/kg), you can certainly eat (and digest) a lot more protein. My point would be that your body canít use the amino acids from protein when ingested beyond the immediate roles of those amino acids to build new proteins Ė in muscle and elsewhere Ė make neurotransmitters, or use the amino acids in intermediary metabolism.
After that the nitrogen (N) is fundamentally toxic in a mammalian system and you strip the amino acid off the nitrogen and eventually it ends up in urea and some ammonia. So beyond what your body can immediately (or within a few short hours) use metabolically, large ídosesí of protein simply arenít metabolically useful. So If you eat 100g of protein, you digest it, absorb it and use some of it (Iíd estimate ~25-35% for protein synthesis) and the rest has the N stripped off, and the metabolic carbon Ďskeletonsí are metabolized.
Is this bit saying that you can only use around 25g-35g protein at a time?
Unread 04-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknal View Post
Is this bit saying that you can only use around 25g-35g protein at a time?
No, it is saying that skeletal muscle protein synthesis is limited and its threshold can be reached - about 30-40g of high-quality protein. Studies have shown that spreading protein intake through multiple spaced meals is more beneficial for hypertrophy and preventing catabolism. How large a difference? Good question, but there is definitely scientific evidence in support of 3-5 meals daily. Personally I like 3.

Edit to add: Also, even if the MPS threshold is reached with 30-40g and the remainder is used for other things or oxidized, the oxidation of protein has been shown to be anabolic in its own right IIRC.