BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-04-2014, 04:48 AM

Default The Big 3 is all you need?

I find myself often debating, accademic debating I'm following GBR and doing fine, whether all you need to look good and develop a proportional physique is three or more compounds exercises.

I argue with people who say squat, deadlift and bench is all you'll ever need to develop a perfect body.
Other says curls are okay but there's no need anywhere for shrugs, lateral raises, leg curls, cable flys, calf raises and so on.

Are these people just accepting mediocre results for faster results and more free time or are they onto something?
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Administrator

The people arguing tha the big 3 are all you need are myopic idiots suffering from proximity bias. There are the occasional handful of people who adapt evenly who it might work for but why do something that stupid?

Don't argue with dumb people.
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM

Probably a different way of looking at it but.
I think the big 3 can be great for a beginner that can safely complete each movement with good form. As the lifter progresses from beginner to intermediate to advanced, in most cases, the advantages would begin to diminish, and I would think additional lifts would need to be added to reach full genetic potential for all body parts.
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eattoshred View Post
Probably a different way of looking at it but.
I think the big 3 can be great for a beginner that can safely complete each movement with good form. As the lifter progresses from beginner to intermediate to advanced, in most cases, the advantages would begin to diminish, and I would think additional lifts would need to be added to reach full genetic potential for all body parts.
It's still stupid. There's no reason to limit yourself in this fashion except for myopic macho nonsensery.
Unread 08-06-2014, 05:56 AM

Squat
Deadlift
Bench
Chin
Row
Press

Is the low amount of exercises routine that normally gets mentioned around here.

Then again, Pavel said you could do it in two exercises, comrade.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Pavel is more about marketing than reality.
Unread 08-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Surely everybody knows by now... To get the biggest arms, dude gotta squat.
Unread 08-08-2014, 10:46 AM

I used to buy into the whole compound movements are king deal but ever since I started adding some serious isolation movements I have seen much bigger gains in muscle size. I still like the compound lifts but I am not going to buy into the view that they are all you need.
Unread 08-16-2014, 10:27 PM

When I was 15 years old when I started weight lifting I was absolutely convinced that all you needed was squat, bench, and dead lift and I spent a good two years of my life arguing with my friends that this was the most efficient way. And these were the only lifts I did. Eventually I would get stuck at bench pressing my body weight and squatting 1.5x and dead lifting 2.0x my body weight.

At first I was surpassing my friends when we all started lifting and they were so focused on doing burnouts on barbell curls. Was funny in the beginning. Though time went by and needless to say all my friends were surpassing me in the gym soon after....

ah the good old days.
Unread 08-18-2014, 04:06 AM

Before anything, you need a depiction of goals, as well as context. Anyone claiming those three lifts are all that are necessary is making a gross oversimplification.

I understand why people do this, however. Many people focus on too much fluff, too many ancillary movements, and don't focus on improving overall strength on compound lifts, which will facilitate the most growth in the end. Most bang for your buck sort of thing.

My general recommendation for most individuals is to have an upper body pushing and pulling movement in both the horizontal and vertical plane, then a lower body push and pull movement.

Squat coupled with deadlift.
Chinup coupled with row.
Flat bench (or slight incline) coupled with standing OHP.

That combo was always one of my favorites, although I will say again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Overall fitness, strength, wellness? Sure. That works.

If you want to train an athlete for a sport, then you may change some things, but even this depends on where that athlete is in their training career, athletic career, and athletic season.