BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > About this forum: Read this first
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-24-2017, 04:27 AM

Default ERFL & Incline Treadmill

Hi all.

ERFL study had subjects walking about 21 miles per day.

Instead of walking all 21 miles, would one get the same effect walking 14 miles at a 9% incline (assuming that burns 1.5 times more calories than walking at a 0% incline)? HR would stay below 65% of max.

Would it have a similar impact on fat los or is the 9% grade at less miles but same calories burned less effective? Thanks.
Unread 07-24-2017, 04:33 AM

Well, I think that it's not about how to create the biggest deficit in the least amount of time. For that, you may as well climb the Empire State Building a few times. The idea is that stress is limited as much as possible to be able to sustain a huge deficit without too much negative consequences.
Unread 07-24-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks for reply. It's not about creating the biggest deficit. Many people, however, don't have time to walk 8 hours at 2.8 mph.

If, however, they could reach the same calorie burn (albeit faster speed or greater incline) at similar relative intensity to the untrained subjects in the study would it be ok?

Your point on recovery is a good one, just want to understand if absolute or relative (RPE 1 to 3) intensity is more important when undergoing ERFL?
Unread 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

My personal opinion would be not to stress the body more than very low intensity cardio. Of course, feel free to test it. It's probably a spectrum anyway.

Something you may consider:
On the very first day, when your glycogen stores are still full and you have sufficient energy, you can probably get away with more intense cardio. Biking, rowing, walking on the stairs, etc. Still, I wouldn't do such a thing on the second day onward.
Unread 07-28-2017, 06:37 AM

You could always be the guinea pig for this. I wouldn't try it. I think you might be underestimating the recovery time...your gonna be very achy by day 2.
Unread 07-28-2017, 10:07 AM

erfl sounds easier on paper before you make it halfway thru day 1
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
erfl sounds easier on paper before you make it halfway thru day 1
It sounds awesome on paper; reality is quite different. People vastly underestimate how much 8 hours of walking roughly 21 miles for 4 days is going to suck...I love the logs that come out though. The rare specimens who have completed it always report ridiculous progress!
Unread 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM

I'd really hesitate to make any substitutions unless I had tried the substitue for at least maybe half the planned distance. I'd try 7 miles say 2 weeks before your official erfl. That would also help to confirm you aren't going to give yourself an overuse injury with your substitution. At least at my age I'm apparently very susceptible to that kind of thing during RFL.

I'm eyeing erfl for my second/final RFL round. I'm going to do this even with the standard walk. Thinking about doing it on Labor Day, and probably cutting the first day short at 5 hours of walking so I don't burn a vacation day.
Unread 08-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Is this an announcement?
Unread 08-27-2017, 05:32 PM

I've been doing something similar the past few days, walking 7 miles a day at 10% incline while playing video games or using my computer, it's definitely been painless and fun, I don't feel like I'm expending energy at all.

It's only 7 miles though, I'm doing this because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get much activity since I don't have much of a reason to walk outside a lot these days.

Only doing RFL though.