BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Default Quitting a bad habit need advice

So I am getting really tired of the vicious cycle of drinking 2-3 energy drinks a day...not being able to get sleep at night....and you can see the cycle repeats itself. This usually ends with me crashing hard Friday and Saturday nights sleeping 10-12 hours straight

I have been doing this for just over a year now. Hopefully I didn't do anything real damaging to my body. I know it sound silly enough when I tell people irl that its hard to quit this I usually get the response of "lol its just caffeine bro not like its a heroin" ..

One of the issues I have though is that for whatever reason caffeine really really helps me stay focused...I feel like without it I have mad adhd and can't focus on a single task (or maybe its just because drinking one of these day is my custom?) I also work full-time construction in the military, I do part-time school after work, and on top of still working out and staying in shape I always feel like I need the stimulant.

Anyhow I'm gonna make some changes I started this morning instead of my usual rockstar energy drink (sometimes 2) in the morning I drink a half-gallon of cold water and ate a banana

-No caffeine of any kind...I wanna get past withdrawls no matter how long it takes.
-Only water and milk
-SOLID sleep schedule...like from 10:00 pm to 5:30 am.
-Keep up this sleep schedule even on weekends (this gonna be hard but its a good habit I really wanna start...its helps that outside of my wife I don't have much of a social life anyway and have no reason to be up lol)

Any other advice is welcome...
Unread 08-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Here's a neat idea: instead of going through endless binge purges by alternating periods of atempting to quit cold turkey and failing, how about showing an iota of common sense and gradually reducing your caffeine and energy drink intake so you don't crash.
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:01 PM

I really don't think you need to quit caffeine. Just don't take it too close to bedtime (~5 hours) and it shouldn't interfere with your sleep. It increases your metabolic rate, promotes memory (at least working memory), wakefullness concentration and the list goes on. I'd only seize caffeine consumption to re-sensitize myself to it or if I had some anxiety issues. The other ingredients in energy drinks (taurine, b-vitamins, guarana etc.) are relatively harmless as well, possibly good for you. Why stop?

I do recommend switching to sugar-free energy drinks or coffee. Obviously having that much extra sucrose daily isn't good for you.

If you really feel a profound need to quit just toughing out the first 2 days is the hard part and then it's nothing. No headaches or sleepiness after that.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates
Unread 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacfa View Post
I really don't think you need to quit caffeine. Just don't take it too close to bedtime (~5 hours) and it shouldn't interfere with your sleep. It increases your metabolic rate, promotes memory (at least working memory), wakefullness concentration and the list goes on. I'd only seize caffeine consumption to re-sensitize myself to it or if I had some anxiety issues. The other ingredients in energy drinks (taurine, b-vitamins, guarana etc.) are relatively harmless as well, possibly good for you. Why stop?

I do recommend switching to sugar-free energy drinks or coffee. Obviously having that much extra sucrose daily isn't good for you.

If you really feel a profound need to quit just toughing out the first 2 days is the hard part and then it's nothing. No headaches or sleepiness after that.
Why even go through that? Taper down dose over a few days to a week and avoid all the problems.
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
Why even go through that? Taper down dose over a few days to a week and avoid all the problems.
Yeah, I guess you're right.. I just love drinking coffee so much that I want the break from it to be over as soon as possible. Feels easier, though it probably isn't.

My dear diary log, Starting November 2015
UD2 log January-March 2014 ; Random updates
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Administrator

For most people, quitting cold turkey like this jsut makes them feel horrible and they fall off the wagon. This is caffeine, not heroin. There's NO reason not to taper back gradually to avoid negative outcomes.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
For most people, quitting cold turkey like this jsut makes them feel horrible and they fall off the wagon. This is caffeine, not heroin. There's NO reason not to taper back gradually to avoid negative outcomes.
Lyle is correct, you're better off making small changes over time in order to allow yourself to acclimate more easily. It's not unlike how when lifting we add tiny amounts of weight over the course of weeks and months. In the interim, it feels as though we're doing nothing, so in comes that, "MOAR is better" mentality, yet when you look back, you've come a long way.
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:05 AM

YMMV, but if I have had to take a lot of caffeine for a while, I find halving the dose every day avoids headaches. Until you get to 100mg or something, then you can just stop. Or just keep it at a lower level than you are at. Caffeine isn't bad for you, but needing it is awkward.