BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Default UD2.0 and Triathlon Training

I've ran UD twice overall now. Most recently for 5 weeks ending 3 weeks ago. I'm signed up for a sprint tri in August so that means I'm doing fairly intense cardio training 5 times a week. However, the tri goal is somewhat secondary to my body composition. I wanted to try and stay in the gym lifting and maintaining strength while cutting weight. Initially I started with Keto and a simple Upper/Lower split twice a week. I've since decided to try and cycle back onto UD while maintaining the tri workouts, partially just to see how sustainable it is... I'm starting today with the first depletion workouts, both of which I'll pair with cardio rest days as to not totally wipe myself out. The remaining tension and power workouts will inevitably fall on the same day as a run/bike/or swim session but they seem more tolerable in comparison.
Unread 07-11-2018, 09:11 AM

Had the first depletion workout without much trouble. Calories ended up around 1300, staying under 50g of carbs. On depletion/low-calorie days I tend to fast on a 20/4 window. Don't have any trouble making it throughout the work day without food and allows for more filling meals before and after the lifts.
Workout went as follows

Leg Press: 320lbsx6x15
Lying Machine Leg Curl: 70lbsx6x15

I tend to do all 6 sets of both of these immediately at the start of the workout and then run through the rest of it in two chunks. I just like getting legs out of the way completely.

Barbell Bench Press: 135x3x15
Seated Cable Rows: 52.5x3x15
Standing Lateral Raises: 15x3x15
Barbell Bicep Curl: 50x2x15
Overhead Cable Tri Extensions: 52.5x3x15
Complete Twice

Felt fairly good throughout, no intense nausea. One more depletion workout today and then the cardio begins for the week, that will be the interesting part.

Weight: 203.5
Unread 07-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Finished the second depletion workout of the week last night. This one was definitely more of a grind. But, I did get sucked into playing some pickup basketball for an hour before starting so the blame lies on myself.

Went as follows

Leg Press 320lbsx6x15
Sitting Leg Curl 70lbsx6x15
Same as yesterday, all six sets completed at the beginning of the workout. These were tough post basketball.

Dumbbell Bench Press 50lbsx3x15
Seated Machine Cable Rows 52.5x3x15
Standing dumbbell Lateral Raises 15x3x15
Barbell Curl 50x3x15
Standing Cable Tricep Extension 47.5x3x15
Complete Twice

With the depletion workouts done for the week the focus shifts to the 4 cardio sessions (did a bike ride on Monday) and the tension and eventual power workout. I'll be taking the scheduled lifting rest today but will be doing some swimming later tonight.

Calories from yesterday ended up around 1350. 150 protein, 51 carbs, 43 fat. Depending on how this week goes I may raise the carb amount to the higher end of what Lyle mentions, around 75g, to compensate for the amount of cardio I'll be doing.

Weight this morning was 204.5. I've been plateauing around 202-205 for a few weeks now and am hoping this regimen allows me to break through. I suppose if it doesn't I might need to reevaluate and have a week or two of maintenance eating, as I've been in a deficit for some time. Not sure how much stock I put into the metabolism slowing down but suppose I can't argue if my weight stalls out at such an aggressive deficit and lifting schedule.

Last edited by ctatham : 07-12-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Unread 07-13-2018, 06:40 AM

Swim went well last night. The beginning was a grind, but hit a stride about halfway through. Went as follows:

75mx8 with 40 second rests in between.

Swimming is definitely a weak point for me personally, just getting used to the amount of lactic acid it produces has been difficult. Overall though I'm feeling pretty good, a lot better than I thought I would adding this amount of cardio to the UD protocol. Weight is still at 204 though, which again I find odd. Although I have found personally the actual weight-loss on UD isn't as rapid for me, I'd like to hope because I have an okay muscle base and that is being maintained while dieting. Also the eating has been highly doable, I've had basically zero cravings. I've been finding it easy to fast throughout the work day, from about 8-5:30 or 6, and then have just two larger pre and post workout meals. It honestly makes me feel like I'm overeating though because of the larger portions.

Tonight is the tension workout but I also have to do a 20 minute, rolling terrain run. This will be the first time cardio and a lifting session falls on the same day, but the run shouldn't be that bad.
Unread 07-16-2018, 06:13 AM

Tension workout went well. Did it before the run so the lift wasn't affected. Did the prescribed workout that Lyle suggested. The run was just a 20 minute session, also wasn't that bad. Still in the early weeks of the program so the sessions aren't too intensive as of yet.
Unread 07-16-2018, 06:25 AM

Completed the power workout and a running session on Sunday. The carb load went well, although I did drink on Friday night. Saturday was mostly spent eating. I was very curious to see where my strength was on the lifts but also to see if the excess glycogen I had access to on Sunday would help with the run.

Lift went as follows:

Squat: 205lbsx5repsx4sets (Always been a weak point for me, doesn't help being 6'3)
Calf raise machine: 250x6x4
Bench: 205x5x4
Bent Over Row: 155x6x4
Incline Dumbbell Bench: 70x5x3
Pulldowns: 130x6x2
Leg Press: 360x6x2
Shoulder Press:55x5x3
Concentration Curls: 80x6x3
Close Grip Bench: 135x5x3

Felt very strong, more so than I was anticipating. I honestly was never a huge fan of the power workout when I did UD, just found I felt kinda lethargic on the last day of the cycle for whatever reason.

The run was worse than I expected. Not from an energy standpoint, that was fine. But I've been getting a bit of outside calf swelling while I run, which makes it feel like I constantly have a ton of lactic acid buildup making it pretty painful. Took two 20 seconds or so breaks when it got really bad but other than that made it through the full 30 minute session.

Weight wise I rebounded up to about 207 after the carb load, which I was kind of expecting. Will see what it looks like on Wednesday or Thursday after my body levels out.

Overall week one was pretty successful. It may get a lot more difficult as the cardio starts to ramp up in intensity but so far it seems doable to run UD and do this type of training for at least a couple weeks.
Unread 07-17-2018, 07:05 AM

Took the Monday rest day from all activities. Means a cardio session will happen either today or tomorrow post-depletion. May try to do it at lunch during the day to separate the two.

Weighed in this morning at 206, not overly concerned though what with the carb load not too long ago and normal weight fluctuations. I feel good and what I see in the mirror is positive. I've also noticed my personal weight loss on UD in the past hasn't been super dramatic/is quite gradual and slow.
Unread 07-18-2018, 12:04 PM

Depletion workout number one for week two went last night. No cardio thankfully, although some will have to be done tonight post depletion number two. Felt pretty good lifts wise, having one of those weeks where you seem to see all the work you've put in previously. I've held off on weighing myself for a few days just to see where I am closer to the end of the week, but definitely feeling leaner.

Leg Press: 320lbsx6x15
Lying Machine Leg Curl: 70lbsx6x15

Out of the way at the start, as usual.

Barbell Bench Press: 135x3x15
Seated Cable Rows: 52.5x3x15
Standing Lateral Raises: 15x3x15
Barbell Bicep Curl: 50x2x15
Overhead Cable Tri Extensions: 52.5x3x15
Complete Twice