BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-11-2017, 03:26 AM

Default Living in a (caloric) deficit

Hi folks.
So this is a continuation of my logs at this forum, the goal of which is to keep me accountable and share with the community my reflections, as I have gained some valuable insights in my previous logs.
Anyway, not gonna write stats all over again, but in short, current weight is hovering around 94 kg (209 lb), and I have been maintaining the past months really. These past months have been somewhat of a challenge in terms.of consistency, because I have had very sucessful days of easy to adhere deficit, but other days life threw me off (newborn, family choirs, stress at work, PhD) and on these days I did not track and I overdid it with high cal food often, so overall whatever, I am maintaining. Interestingly, I have observed that I can eat upwards of 4000 cal on some days and maintain overall weight and BF, which is maybe due to deficit on other days, but also I am training consistently, so maybe partitioning is also contributing to not getting a fat I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post. in total. Anyway, I am guessing that my current BF is around 18 to 20% (photos velow). Also, I have decided that I will take the following approach in the future: neverI go over 14 days of hard deficit without breaking it with a 3 to 4 days maintenance. Physiological reasons aside, the cravings I get after 14 days of deficit are insane and the mental fog and fatigue are debilitating.
To be continued...
Back shot:
https://ibb.co/hYPa5G
Front shot:
https://ibb.co/kukMeb

Last edited by funkord : 12-11-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Unread 12-12-2017, 12:11 PM

Had ana excellent upper body workout today, hit some records, so that went really well.
Cals were at 1900 today and I somehow perceive this as really low, the amount of food by itself is not much, even though the majority are low cal foods.
Anyway, I am doing 10 days of deficit and will then ptobsbly do maintenance for 10 days bcs I have got family and friends staying over for new years week and dieting is not the most wanted thing then.
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:05 AM

I was not feeling well this morning upon getting up, was feeling extremely lethargic. From past experience I know that this is related with waking body temperature, so I measured it and it was really low: 35.1 celcius (95.1 fahrenheit). I don't know if this is consequence of the deficit or something else but it is not pleasant at all.
Anybody experienced anything similar?
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:35 AM

To be clear... what exactly are you logging? What's your goal?

Also, the title of this log sounds depressing "Living in a (caloric) deficit". We all know the conclusion: a permanent deficit results in death.
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
To be clear... what exactly are you logging? What's your goal?

Also, the title of this log sounds depressing "Living in a (caloric) deficit". We all know the conclusion: a permanent deficit results in death.
Mainly for accountability. Long term goal is to lose more BF, interspersed with maintenance phases.
Yes, the title is depressing, as living in a deficit, especially after some time, is depressing lol.
Unread 12-15-2017, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
Mainly for accountability. Long term goal is to lose more BF, interspersed with maintenance phases.
Yes, the title is depressing, as living in a deficit, especially after some time, is depressing lol.
Well, you shouldn't live in a deficit for a long time. Maximum recommendation you'll find is about 8 weeks, followed by a 2 week break.

Is it possible that you feel you're in a deficit when you're at a caloric maintenance? And is that feeling causing you to believe that you live in a long term deficit?
Unread 12-15-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Well, you shouldn't live in a deficit for a long time. Maximum recommendation you'll find is about 8 weeks, followed by a 2 week break.

Is it possible that you feel you're in a deficit when you're at a caloric maintenance? And is that feeling causing you to believe that you live in a long term deficit?
Not really. Mainteance: excellent energy levels, strength through the roof jn the gym, libido high, general well being very high. Mentally a struggle somewhat to realize that 10 lbs on the scale is not 10 lb gained fat, but that is part of the former fatty syndrome I guess. Also, morning body temperature normal.

Deficit: the opposite of the above.
Unread 12-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
I was not feeling well this morning upon getting up, was feeling extremely lethargic. From past experience I know that this is related with waking body temperature, so I measured it and it was really low: 35.1 celcius (95.1 fahrenheit). I don't know if this is consequence of the deficit or something else but it is not pleasant at all.
Anybody experienced anything similar?
It looks like your temps normal again. Good news.

Are you sure about the prior 95.1 Fahrenheit??? For each 1.8 degrees (approximately) below 98.7, the metabolic rate, typically, runs 10-13% lower. That means, in the past, your rate was/is running 20-26% below baseline.

You may consider getting this checked out. You must be freezing, at times, especially your hands. Holy cow. You’re Mr. freezing, PhD. I run about 97.5 and hands are cold enough.

Last edited by patriots2 : 12-17-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Unread 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post
It looks like your temps normal again. Good news.

Are you sure about the prior 95.1 Fahrenheit??? For each 1.8 degrees (approximately) below 98.7, the metabolic rate, typically, runs 10-13% lower. That means, in the past, your rate was/is running 20-26% below baseline.

You may consider getting this checked out. You must be freezing, at times, especially your hands. Holy cow. You’re Mr. freezing, PhD. I run about 97.5 and hands are cold enough.
Yes, I am sure, and it is nothing unusual for me actually as I have seen it very often in the past as well. According to my doctor, my thyroid is fine and some people run on lower temperature. What I found interesting is how strongly it correlates with fatigue, lethargy etc. I can tell when my temp drops very low simply based on symptoms without even measuring it.
Unread 12-20-2017, 04:03 PM

Will definitely be watching.

Been reading your previous logs, def empathise with your experiences