BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-09-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Stallion's Long Term Journal

My Story

I thought it would be good to start this journal with a little more background than my previous. Here is my story:

I've always been a husky or chunky (whatever positive or negative word you like) most of my life and all through my childhood. It wasn't a problem for the most part. I played sports (hockey, football and rugby). I never really watched what I ate. I went off to University, ended up with new friends and started to get into weight lifting. That first summer home from school, I lifted and ate seriously. I dropped weight down to a satisfying point. I eventually returned to a bulk (being more into weight lifting), only to return to my previous self for the longest time.

Eventually I finished school and had a few years of a rocky market where I couldn't seem to land a professional job. I did move across the country, landed my professional job, made new friends and started to make money. A combination of a stressful work environment, more money than I had before (essentially I was just a broke loser before) and friends that liked to eat out - I put on a lot of weight. I ballooned up to 312lbs before I took that first step to stop it.

I'd like to point out how this transition in weight wasn't the most apparent to me at the time. Something I missed the signs of (or maybe totally ignored it) and by the time I realized how far down the rabbit hole I actually went - I had amassed a big number. 312. That number is literally burned into my mind because of how far I actually went. But that was also the point in which I decided to act to fix it.

I'm actually surprised at how long I've been at this because I know others have done it faster, but this is my time line. On February 12 2012, I stood on the scale at 312lbs. Today I stand on the scale at 170lbs. That's a total of 142lbs (64kg) lost. And at 6'-0" tall, that puts me into a healthy BMI, a healthy weight and in a much better place.

It was a long road, but I went far. I don't know if I'm just overly negative with my body image or what, but the saggy skin takes away from what I've achieved. It is what it is. the length of time it has taken me to drop the weight seems to have given time for the skin to tighten back. I hope in a few more years I'll get more of that.

I'm not fully satisfied with where I'm at though. It could be that I have body image issues and that's the reason I'm not satisfied or I just have more I need to do.

I have my previous journal on this website, going from 20% to 15% BF. In that journal I've been discussing, as of late, my bodies fighting of me and the down regulation of hormones that people experience below the 15% threshold. This is sort of where I'm at in my journey and I'm taking some maintenance time.

I will say one thing though, I have one important philosophy for this journal...

You didn't come this far only to come this far.

I'm not done. The game is changing for me.
Unread 04-09-2017, 08:20 PM

My Goals

I've been thinking about this for a while now and to put it simply, I want to make this more of a long term perspective. Deficits are becoming literally a nauseous feeling for me. I have to play the long game and think about reaching things next year rather than in a few months.
  1. Develop a better relationship with food: How I interact with food will determine my success over the long run. It will determine whether I can stay at a weight I am comfortable with or whether I balloon up to the good old days. Despite the fact that I've lost a lot of weight, I get hungry and I can eat a lot. It is exceptionally important for me to nail this. I don't want to live the rest of my life micromanaging every last calorie that goes into my mouth.
  2. Develop as an all around athlete: I like weight lifting, but it's not really all I want from myself - in an athletic sense. I've always admired those that have this all around athleticism. They're strong. They have high stamina, high flexibility and great cardio. This is what I associate with being "strong". I'll expand a little more on this below.
  3. Develop routines for the above: I'm a very routine/regimented person and I know that mundane routines lead me to success. It's not exciting or amazing, it just puts me in a position to incrementally grow each day and eventually I'll have come a long way. I've been doing a routine known as Limber 11 everyday for mobility and my back purposes - it helps (discussed in my previous journal).
  4. Tighten up my BF%: Like I said, I'm not totally satisfied with where I'm at and tightening up will come along way. With that said, this will truly be a long run item. Right now I'm not in the mood for any sort of deficit and I'm enjoying my time in maintenance.
  5. Fix posture: My posture needs work and I aim to give it what it needs.

There are a few other little things that aren't worth an official listing, but I guess I should mention.
  • Come off of Ephedrine-Caffeine Stack - I've been on an EC stack for over 6 months now and I would like to come off of it. I'm completely immune to caffeine and it sort of sucks. I realize that the thermogenic aspects of EC get better over time, but I'm more interested in having a cup of coffee in the morning and it actually wake me up.
  • More sex - Deficits have a way of just down regulating everything. So I aim to improve the quantity. It's like the habit has been down regulated.

Athletic ambitions

I've been thinking about what attributes make up what I'm looking for.
  • Muay Thai: I've never felt more in shape in my entire life, other than when I was doing Muay Thai. I may have weighed 50lbs more than I do now, but I had the stamina, the cardio, the punching, the kicking and the fighting in me. This makes up probably half of what I'm looking for and I know that simply returning to training will be the routine I need. I don't have the money right now to pay for both a gym membership and a Muay Thai gym as well, but something I hope to be able to afford soon enough.
  • Pistol Squat: Mobility training has been something on my agenda this year. For those that don't know, it's similar to flexibility, but more about ranges of motion and such. How much range of motion do you have in your hips or ankle? Anyway, a pistol squat is often viewed as the gold standard of mobility. If you can do a pistol squat, you have good mobility.
  • Yoga Pike Press: This move fascinates me. I know that if I could accomplish this, I've done something amazing. This falls into the category of gymnastics and I regard it as a good athletic achievement.

I imagine a lot of this will evolve over time as I think about things.

Right now the plan is to stick with a maintenance for a foreseeable future. This gives me a chance to work on my relationship with food and it also gives me a chance to work on physical activity.
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Going to start showing weight since starting maintenance.

Average Week -2: 77.94kg/171.83lbs (+2.81kg/+6.20lbs) [Maintenance Week 1]
Average Week -1: 77.62kg/171.12lbs (-0.32kg/-0.71lbs) [Maintenance Week 2]
Average Week 0: 77.24kg/170.28lbs (-0.38kg/-0.84lbs) [Maintenance Week 3]
Average Week 1: 77.67kg/171.23lbs (+0.43kg/+0.95lbs) [Maintenance Week 4]

This was a pretty good week. I'd like to point out that my back has been feeling really good as of late. I don't know if it was my little break from the gym, the exercises that I've incorporated to address this problem (self prescribed) or if it is the fact that I'm on maintenance and there's more water in my body providing more cushion between muscles/nerves/vertebrae. Not sure why, but I'll enjoy it.

My weight has been reasonably stable, so that means my extended period of maintenance has been successful so far. Just because I'm water weightish as a person, I think the daily weigh ins, weekly average is the way to go. The problem I'm having is mental game. I have the slightest bit of... mental thought when I weigh in. "Am I pushing above the average or what?" and to say I don't think and possibly act to deal with slight swings in daily weight would be lie. I personally don't like seeing my weight every day, but I do think it's the best means of measuring it (weekly average). For example, the thought of having some pancakes for breakfast has popped into my head, but they're high sodium and they'll skew the average. I realize this is very pedantic thinking and my desire to be ultra cautious with my weight and not seeing it rebound.

The idea of picking up a scale that would automatically sync with my phone has been more appetizing for me. I can simply cover the display, it syncs with my phone, I see nothing and on Saturday I record the weekly average. Doing two week averages would be possible in such a scenario. Only problem is that the truly automatic are expensive. A lot require you to open an app on your phone and let it sync. Those are more work than just manually recording it on my phone. I'm not buying an expensive one anytime soon, but if I become flush with some cash - I might.

-----

Weeks Routines

Limber 11: I had a full 7 days of this in the morning. A good warmup/mobility routine to run through.

Focused Flexibility: This is a new program I found that I could use to help with overall flexibility. It has simple assessment items you go through, pick the worst two and work on the exercises to correct them. It's a lot more focused on my shortfalls - though the one size fits all isn't a perfect approach. This week I've been working on my crappy shoulder flexibility and my squat related flexibility. Time will tell with this program.

Gym: The usual M/W/F L/U split.

No other routines developed, but I need to devote sometime to the yoga items I want to achieve.

-----

Mentally

I'm in a good place. With more juice in the system, I'm mentally optimistic. Maintenance is still a joy. Though I'm starting to feel that desire to start cutting again (ie: working toward something - rather than treading water). It's a weird feeling since I've been working toward something for so long, but I'll stick with maintenance.

The idea of a new cut has popped into my head, in particular how I'd do it. If I were to do it, I'd go with something very minor... maybe 2400 calories a day for as long as I can and just see what happens.

-----

Other

Coming off my EC stack a lot sooner than I was expecting. My bottle of caffeine is getting low and I didn't want to buy a new one just to use a little more. I've cut back to one 200mg/16mg dose a day. That'll end sometime this week and I'll be set. I'll make an active attempt at sticking with decaf coffee and avoiding caffeine all together. Maybe after a month I'll have some kick from it.
Unread 04-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Ironically after making the last post - I was at Best Buy with my girlfriend as she was looking to replace her mouse. I took a look down the scale isle and the one I wanted was on sale. So I picked it up. I've been spending this week figuring out the differences between this and my old (the new one has me a little heavier). But soon enough I won't have to look at my weight daily.
Unread 04-22-2017, 07:58 AM

--==New Scale==--
Average Week 2: 78.43kg/172.91lbs [Maintenance Week 5]

I have a new scale and obviously they are calibrated a little bit different. Old scale was at 78.0kg and new scale was at 78.43kg At this point I'll be transitioning to the new scale for all future weigh ins. So roughly a 0.4kg difference between the two.

My weight is up on it's own, independent of the scale. I also finished taking my EC stack as of Sunday, so I guess some of that is related. I also haven't been shy with the sodium either, so I know there's some water.

I'm going to apply letter grades to my various action points in this journal, just to make this easier.

Mental: B

I'm doing well. Though I do find myself still in a vulnerable place mentally when it comes to the weigh ins. I know that this new scale will help, as I don't have to see it daily. Here's the thing though, I'm going up in weight this week. I've been reiterating to myself that this isn't a big deal. It's just a little bit, whether water or fat, and it doesn't take much to take care of.

Other than that. I'm in a good place.

Routines, Exercises and Other

Limber 11: A+, Perfect. Did it everyday.
Focused Flexibility: A+, Perfect. Did it everyday.
Gym: A+, Perfect.

L-Seat: C+, Something I'm working on and I'm pretty decent.
Pistol Squat: F, Haven't tried it, but I know I have more flexibility/mobility work to do.
Yoga Pike Press: F, Haven't been working on it or the components that make it so.
Muay Thai: N/A, No plans as of yet to join a gym.

Caffeine free: Perfect as of Monday. Last day of EC was Sunday.
Unread 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Just a thought on possibly seeing my weight rising. I'm eating a high quantity of protein, so I know at least I'm putting on some muscle... if I'm truly gaining weight.

I'm thinking that I'll go to 8 weeks of maintenance and enter some kind of moderate cut... just to see how it goes.
Unread 04-29-2017, 08:42 AM

--==New Scale==--
Average Week 2: 78.43kg/172.91lbs [Maintenance Week 5]
Average Week 3: 79.31kg/174.85lbs [Maintenance Week 6]

The climb in weight continues. I didn't really think much of the EC stack, but it's been going up since I stopped.

I looked at my weight so far this week yesterday and it shocked me. So much that I was thinking about heading back into a deficit. Well, I put a lot of thought into this and decided that it's best for me to remain at maintenance. I set the goal of getting a better relationship with food and this is something I just have to learn. The trending upwards is annoying me to no end because it shows that I'm susceptible to going back up when left to my own devices.

Even though I could push back into a deficit now and quarrel this little rebel uprising - I have to learn to deal with this. I have to get it under control - instead of constantly being in a state of going up in weight or going down.

Mental: D

Not a great week. I just feel "fat". As a guy, I hate having these feelings. I talked about this in my previous journal I talked about this a little. Almost like I'm a little body dismorphic or something. I know I'm a bit watered up, but mentally I'm trying to get stronger with this sort of thing.

One day at a time I guess.

Limber 11: A+, Perfect. Did it everyday.
Focused Flexibility: A+, Perfect. Did it everyday.
Gym: A+, Perfect.

L-Seat: B-, I'm pretty good at this so far.
Pistol Squat: F, Haven't tried it, but I know I have more flexibility/mobility work to do.
Yoga Pike Press: D, I've come up with some exercises I can do to focus on this.
Muay Thai: N/A, No plans as of yet to join a gym.

Caffeine: Minimal caffeine.

Plan for the week

I need to get my diet together. This needs to be figured out. Measurements need to be tightened up as I've become loosey goosey with measuring. And I need to increase the quality of food, rather than sugary cereal and stuff. Just need to get it together and make sure reach some stability before week 8 of maintenance.

However, I have decided on my next deficit plan. I've settled on doing the every other day style plan. I workout M/W/F, so those would be my high calorie days. Something like 2600calories/2000calories.

Anyway, off to another week.
Unread 04-29-2017, 11:07 AM

Strictly hearsay, and not suggesting that you shouldn't tighten up your logging, but I've read several times accounts of people gaining about 5 pounds after switching to maintenance and that they later had that weight drop back off without cutting intake.

And you might try pistol squats w/TRX straps. Place to start anyway and the only way I've done them.
Unread 04-30-2017, 08:12 AM

Hey thanks for the comment. I did experience a water weight dropping trend probably around the two week mark and I trended down for a bit. But I know this jump in weight is probably more dietary than anything. And it coincides a lot with me ending my EC stack. Which makes sense I suppose.

And thanks for the suggestion on pistol squats with the straps. I know my gym has some and it'll give me a chance to try it.
Unread 04-30-2017, 08:13 AM

Another month done.