BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Smile Poor Refeed? [Female, First-timer]

Hi,

Stats: F 26yo 5'6" 133lbs LBM: 103 ~20%bf

I'm excited to start this program and looking forward to results. Just started the UD2 several days ago and have questions on the carb/load refeeds. I happened to miscalculate a few things and ended up with a higher protein, fat, and fiber intake than expected.
I ended up with:
- 100+over protein
- 60+over fat requirements
- perhaps too much fiber (161g fiber D4+D5 combined)

Sources of my carb refeed:
bobo oat bars
protein cookie
snap pea crisps
veggies
protein bars

Questions:
1. Are there any protocols to rebound from having too much protein and fat in the carb load/refeed days? This would put me at substantial amount of excess calories than outlined in UD2.

2. Should net carbs be counted instead of carb totals for the day? For instance my fiber intake on carb load day and day after was 161g. Which if considered, net carbs would be 523g)

3. Does the following instruction in the book mean that I should be consuming 1g/lb of protein for my day protein totals or post workout along with the carb load/refeed? In the book it's pg. 63 "In addition to all of those carbohydrates, don't forget protein at 1 gram per pound and low
to moderate amounts of dietary fat; meaning about 15% of total calories or about 50 grams or so."

4. Is there anything I could be doing better per my current macros below?

W1 Total Day Macros for reference:
D1 P 135 C 106 F 33 (fiber 32g)
D2 P 178 C 75 F 41 (fiber 20g)
D3 P 140 C 108 F 41 (fiber 34g)
D4 P 238 C 287 F 71 (PWO:155C 80 P 40 F) (fiber 75g)
D5 P272 C 397 F 118 (fiber 86g)
D6 P 130 C 208 F 15
D7 P 130 C 120 F 30

As this is the first week, I look forward to being better and preparing next time around for the refeed and would appreciate any insight here!

Cheers,
P
Unread 06-21-2017, 09:15 PM

Instead of having protein bars, try more carb-dense foods like pasta, rice, bagels, cereal, etc. Those foods also happen to be lower fiber AND lower fat.
Unread 06-22-2017, 12:46 AM

1. Just forget the last cycle and do it right next cycle.
2. I'm not sure, but why on earth do you carb-up on fibrous sources?
3. For your day total.
4. Yes:
- Don't refeed on fiber, fat and protein rich food. Use mainly starch based sources.
- You consume way, way, way too much fat on the carb-up. Keep fats below 30g.
- You eat way, way, way too much carbs and fats on Monday-Thursday. Keep it as close to "zero" as possible.
- You eat way too much calories in general. If I calculate your macro's you end up consuming 13.237 kcal in one week. Which should be your maintenance. No deficit whatsoever. Therefore, probably hardly any fat loss.
- Read the book again and fix your calculations. Currently it's horrible.
Unread 06-22-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
3. For your day total.
4. Yes:
- Don't refeed on fiber, fat and protein rich food. Use mainly starch based sources.
- You eat way, way, way too much carbs and fats on Monday-Thursday. Keep it as close to "zero" as possible.
- You eat way too much calories in general. If I calculate your macro's you end up consuming 13.237 kcal in one week. Which should be your maintenance. No deficit whatsoever. Therefore, probably hardly any fat loss.
Agree with all if this. Learn and move on. My first 4 weeks were all feeling out how to optimise the system.
Unread 06-22-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
3. For your day total.
4. Yes:
Hey, thanks all for the quick responses. I definitely will be prepared next time for the carb up and will watch the fat and protein intake. Will see if anything changes in progress, if at all, as there was not much of a deficit this week due to the refeed.

2. Fiber is great in terms of keeping me full so I figured my carb intake that are fibrous would be sufficient, but definitely will limit it go fwd and stick to lowest for carbs. I figured using net carbs it would put me in the 50-60g range which is outlined in the book, hence why I notated fiber.

4. My calories are set to not go below 1200(as instructed in the book). I've tried working in a couple hiit sprints after lifts but haven't done much cardio if my body is worked from the weight training. It's been tough to do cardio to try and burn up to 300 more if my maintenance is at ~1870 and 50% of that would be ~900cal/day on D1 through D3. If I don't put in the extra cardio I should expect slower fat loss then inevitably(~at most 1lb/week).

I burn around 200-400/workout so I don't think I am in complete maintenance and expect at most half a pound drop this week when estimating energy expended.

Welp, on to next week, live and learn and I'll do it right then.

Would love to here if there is any tips from females or anyone who knows another female who has tried UD2 and whether there was anything that worked well doing the program.

I'm not taking any supplements right now. Making sure I eat all of my nutrients, has it really made a difference with anyone?

Cheers,
P
Unread 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Poor Refeed? [Female, First-timer]

Quote:
3. For your day total.
4. Yes:
Hey, thanks all for the quick responses. I definitely will be prepared next time for the carb up and will watch the fat and protein intake. Will see if anything changes in progress, if at all, as there was not much of a deficit this week due to the refeed.

Another question I had was whether my carb intake was sufficient enough? D4/D5 Totaled 684 carbs but net carbs would make it 523g(which wouldn't be enough to suffice for 5.5g/lb of LBM).

2. Fiber is great in terms of keeping me full so I figured my carb intake that are fibrous would be sufficient, but definitely will limit it go fwd and stick to lowest for carbs. I figured using net carbs it would put me in the 50-60g range which is outlined in the book, hence why I notated fiber.

4. My calories are set to not go below 1200(as instructed in the book). I've tried working in a couple hiit sprints after lifts but haven't done much cardio if my body is either worked from the weight training or lack of time. It's been tough to do cardio to try and burn up to 300 more if my maintenance is at ~1870 and 50% of that would be ~900cal/day on D1 through D3. If I don't put in the extra cardio I should expect slower fat loss then inevitably(~at most 1lb/week). Are there any tips with this or is this a inevitable bottleneck for making up the burning of the extra deficit on D1-D3?

I burn around 200-400/workout so I don't think I am in complete maintenance and expect at most half a pound drop this week when estimating energy expended.

Welp, on to next week, live and learn and I'll do it right then.

Would love to here if there is any tips from females or anyone who knows another female who has tried UD2 and whether there was anything that worked well doing the program.

I'm not taking any supplements right now. Making sure I eat all of my nutrients, has it really made a difference with anyone?

I'll post an update soon in case anyone's curious the results of the refeed with too much protein/fiber/fat.

Cheers,
P

Last edited by patya91 : 06-22-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Unread 06-22-2017, 08:23 PM

I am a female bodybuilder who has done UD2 in the past to lean out for shows... (I am currently doing RFL, though I do remember quite a bit of my UD2 experience).

I agree with everything said here from those that chimed in. You indeed seem to be eating too many carbs and fats on the "diet days." For your carb days, the goal of carbing up is to refuel muscle glycogen stores so you can power through that power workout and partition those calories toward muscle. Giant amounts of fiber is a waste of time in my opinion. How did you get to 161g of fiber?

Keep in mind, I'm a very muscular woman so my macros will be higher than yours, but I used to carb up on 4-6 bagels with sugar-free jam, a box of waffles, white cheddar rice cakes, copious amounts of brown rice with steak sauce, Powerbars, Cheerios with skim milk, baked potatoes, some fruit. I would hit about 1200g carbs and I used to take pics and put them on FB and people would be in awe of what I ate and how I was paring down for my show, lol. I'd start with "sugary-er" carbs and work down into starches. I *used to* have high-fiber instant oatmeal on my carb list, but I was never hungry the rest of the day so it was a waste of time for me. 2 packets of that (20g fiber) and I couldn't get hungry enough the rest of the day to hit my carbs. I pulled that back and had some amazing workouts high on all those starchy carbs.

Whatever tag-along fiber came with the carbs I was eating was enough for me. I was super full from the carb up day. I tried to keep my fats around 50g per day, but in reality, I ended up closer to 65g. I also did do additional cardio throughout the week as I was nearing single-digit bodyfat close to showtime.
Unread 06-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadQueen View Post
I am a female bodybuilder who has done UD2 in the past to lean out for shows... (I am currently doing RFL, though I do remember quite a bit of my UD2 experience).

I agree with everything said here from those that chimed in. You indeed seem to be eating too many carbs and fats on the "diet days." For your carb days, the goal of carbing up is to refuel muscle glycogen stores so you can power through that power workout and partition those calories toward muscle. Giant amounts of fiber is a waste of time in my opinion. How did you get to 161g of fiber?

Keep in mind, I'm a very muscular woman so my macros will be higher than yours, but I used to carb up on 4-6 bagels with sugar-free jam, a box of waffles, white cheddar rice cakes, copious amounts of brown rice with steak sauce, Powerbars, Cheerios with skim milk, baked potatoes, some fruit. I would hit about 1200g carbs and I used to take pics and put them on FB and people would be in awe of what I ate and how I was paring down for my show, lol. I'd start with "sugary-er" carbs and work down into starches. I *used to* have high-fiber instant oatmeal on my carb list, but I was never hungry the rest of the day so it was a waste of time for me. 2 packets of that (20g fiber) and I couldn't get hungry enough the rest of the day to hit my carbs. I pulled that back and had some amazing workouts high on all those starchy carbs.

Whatever tag-along fiber came with the carbs I was eating was enough for me. I was super full from the carb up day. I tried to keep my fats around 50g per day, but in reality, I ended up closer to 65g. I also did do additional cardio throughout the week as I was nearing single-digit bodyfat close to showtime.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I got 161g fiber from having 86g + 75g from the day totals of D4+D5. The fiber was primarily from the quest bars/no cow bars I ate, the remaining 10-15% from veggies and other smacks. Hence, over intake on protein and fiber. The fat was primarily from the bobo pat bars I ate as well as protein bars and one-time real good food pizza. I consider these tasty and will have to minimize those as it doesn't fit with macros of the program . I don't usually eat all the starchy foods mentioned because I don't enjoy it as much and haven't touched them in probably over 2 years but will figure it out and trust the process.

Wow 1200g is an abundance! Did you opt for 5.5 or7g/ lb of lbm?

Also, what was your average fat loss/cycle?

Cheers,
P
Unread 06-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Treat diet days as a cat 1 psmf with 1.5x multiplier it'll keep you very compliant. Ime english muffins little better than bagels (lower fat and lower fiber). Yeah thats about it.
Unread 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patya91 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! I got 161g fiber from having 86g + 75g from the day totals of D4+D5. The fiber was primarily from the quest bars/no cow bars I ate, the remaining 10-15% from veggies and other smacks. Hence, over intake on protein and fiber. The fat was primarily from the bobo pat bars I ate as well as protein bars and one-time real good food pizza. I consider these tasty and will have to minimize those as it doesn't fit with macros of the program . I don't usually eat all the starchy foods mentioned because I don't enjoy it as much and haven't touched them in probably over 2 years but will figure it out and trust the process.

Wow 1200g is an abundance! Did you opt for 5.5 or7g/ lb of lbm?

Also, what was your average fat loss/cycle?

Cheers,
P
I went with the higher end of the spectrum for carbs since I am very muscular, was doing cardio, and liked to eat--lol. Ive done something called "carb back-loading" before which was a similar method of overloading carbs so I kinda knew how much my body would handle.

I dropped initial scale weight on UD2 the first week, then I did not lose significant scale weight during the middle weeks, but was clipped each week with calipers and was losing consistent body fat. According to my records, that year:

Started UD2 May 2nd @ 178.8
Ended UD2 June 26th @ 166.2

Depleted out a few more pounds of water and stepped on stage at 158 lbs that year.