BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-28-2016, 08:51 AM

Default question about training my son

He is 13, voice starting to drop and other pubescent stuff going on..

I have him doing Stronglifts 5x5

This is the one time he is ever going to have all this puberty stuff working in his favor, so I thought he should get strong as possible on the "Big 5" movements and run linear progression as long as he can.

He is 6' 217 lbs not all "good" weight. I have him eating plenty of protein and probably a slight surplus... I figure he can lean out later, or just "grow into his weight" I'm 6'4" my father is 6'7" and he looks to be on my father's path, not mine.. I was only 5'9" in 8th grade.

I am just wondering if this is a sound strategy?

He plays basketball and rides bike/does kids stuff so he is getting cardio. His goal is to have a 2 plate bench going into Freshman year.. not sure if that is going to happen as that would be adding 150lbs to his bench in a year LOL.
Unread 06-28-2016, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Focus on proper technique first and then add weight. You can put him in a place in a couople of years where he'll have a great training background and good technique and that leads to awesomeness

But he is a boy and putting in some beach work for arms and stuff for growth will go a long way
Unread 06-28-2016, 09:25 AM

I bought him 5 coaching sessions so we know he is doing everything correctly.. trainer suggested starting out with 2.5lb increments to begin with using 1.25 pound plates rather than jumping 5 lbs per session.. seemed like a sound strategy to me.
Unread 06-28-2016, 09:29 AM

Lyle, what about his weight? He's athletic, and moves pretty good for a big guy.. I am not overly concerned about it, I figure he should lean out naturally some, as he grows... just trying to make sure he doesn't pack on a bunch of excess weight.
Unread 06-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Lyle, what about his weight? He's athletic, and moves pretty good for a big guy.. I am not overly concerned about it, I figure he should lean out naturally some, as he grows... just trying to make sure he doesn't pack on a bunch of excess weight.
I'd try to feed him a higher amount of protein to help with athletic performance and then have him eat whatever.

He is lifting weights and is 13. He'll be in good shape pretty much eating anything.

I wish someone had pushed me into weightlifting at 13. Puberty gains plus will help with confidence and self esteem.
Unread 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I wish someone had pushed me into weightlifting at 13

Same here.

My mother has been fixing his lunch now that it is summer.. yesterday

2 Turkey burgers with pepper jack cheese lettuce/tom/mayo 1 roll

Macaroni Salad that she made

Shake with 1 scoop of whey, banana and some peanut butter thrown in 2% milk.

She usually does some kind of lean protein or omelette.. if he is home he will just eat crap LOL.
Unread 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post

Same here.

My mother has been fixing his lunch now that it is summer.. yesterday

2 Turkey burgers with pepper jack cheese lettuce/tom/mayo 1 roll

Macaroni Salad that she made

Shake with 1 scoop of whey, banana and some peanut butter thrown in 2% milk.

She usually does some kind of lean protein or omelette.. if he is home he will just eat crap LOL.
Seems fine to me. At 6' 217 that isn't too much food. If you want him to be in a surplus Id recommend the above plus letting him eat some junk/what he wants. That crap is good lol.

Will make the diet more enjoyable to him. Once again at 13 and hitting puberty, think he'll be just fine and really isnt going to get fat

I don't know if he appreciates you doing this for him now but I think he will.
Unread 06-29-2016, 09:18 AM

I reigned his food in for years because he wasn't active.. then he took up football and basketball, so I kind of let him do what he want's within reason.

Football was self regulating, because you had to be under a certain weight if you wanted to play, but starting last year it was unlimited.

Last year he was 5'9" 205 and we did some light circuit training this year he is 6'0" 217.. trying to keep him in a slight surplus with plenty of protein and hitting the iron, hard as possible while keeping good form.

Once football started I was going to switch him to 3x5 twice a week, just to keep the pathways firing and switch to adding weight every other workout.

Like I said he has genetic potential to be 6'7" so him carrying a gut now, may be moot LOL.

I just can't relate because I was always the skinny kid that had trouble putting on weight. I didn't break the 200lb mark until Junior year. This kid gets up out of bed over 200..
Unread 06-29-2016, 11:36 AM

13 is a good age. I had a nice little easy program for my son at 10 and it made a huge difference. Went from weak, slow, and uncoordinated to a starter on his football team in his first year of every playing a sport.

Now at 13 your son can really grow due to puberty. I started at 13 and I made some great gains.
Unread 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Will make the diet more enjoyable to him. Once again at 13 and hitting puberty, think he'll be just fine and really isnt going to get fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post

I don't know if he appreciates you doing this for him now but I think he will.
He already is a bit fat. But a cut at this time seemed like it was wasting his pubescent growth spurt where everything is working for him.

I think he does.. I told him that I wished someone pushed me in the gym on a good program at 13... we went to the gym but scewed around with bro splits because we didn't know any better. LOL.

Last edited by billb7581 : 06-30-2016 at 06:11 AM.