BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > UD 2.0
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-26-2018, 04:49 AM

Default Carb refeed issues (sugar)

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought the UD2.0 book and I am currently planning my schedule for food & workouts.

I'm having issues planning the carb refeed without reaching the 50g fructose / 100g sucrose... also I have already posted this on the facebook group, maybe I could have more help here.

I was planning to eat corn flakes with skimmed milk but even 500g + 1L of milk is already more sugar than recommended by Lyle, I don't even know how I could include burger,pizza or donut with those limitations..

Anyway, my main question is : what carb source could I eat that contains absolutely no sucrose/fructose ?
On my facebook post cream of rice has been mentioned, I've looked at it at groceries it does not look very appetizing :/ I am not sure I can eat 900-1000g of carbs with something looking like floor melted in cold water. And I don't want to mess with the diet by taking too many sugar.

Thanks for any help.
Unread 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM

Honestly, you kind of have to just suck it up and eat the bland cardboard tasting carbs if you want the best results. The refeed is far from a "cheat day." I actually feel it's much more restrictive than the 2 following days. I'm not quite sure how anyone would fit pizza or donuts on given the extremely low amount of fat you're allowed to have. Honestly, rice, bread, pasta, and maybe a couple sweet potatoes with just a bit of junk is the way you need to go if you want the best results. Throw a donut in on the power workout day if you must.
Unread 06-26-2018, 11:15 AM

So basically pasta, raw bagels, cream of rice every of these food is ok ?
I also found candies (smarties) made only of dextrose and maltodextrose, is it ok ? Or the elevated GI will mess it ? (but as I am looking at it even pasta, bagels or cream of Rice have high gi)
Unread 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM

I can't speak for Lyle, but I don't think the GI matters too much. I think if there's a priority list for the refeed it goes:
1) <50g fat
2) Sucrose/Fructose below 100g/50g respectively
3) Carb timing (I believe it's around 1/7 of your carb allotment every 2 hours during your waking hours starting after the refeed)
4) Any other concerns you might have (i.e. glycemic load, fiber content, etc)

From experience, you'll want to have a fair amount of high GI carbs or you'll feel extremely bloated all day and possibly for the next couple days. Try to limit your fiber intake as much as possible as well. I wouldn't worry about the glycemic load too much. I've read a lot of different logs where people use the smarties or other dextrose-based candies for their carb allotment immediately post workout.

I ran 2 8 week cycles last year, and I got pretty good results. Looking to start up again soon actually. My main tips for the carb load are keep fat low, don't consume an insane amount of sugar, and find foods that will fit your carb load that you actually enjoy to reward yourself for all the hard work you put in over the week. I never even worried too much about Sucrose/fructose amounts when I did the diet, and I still got great results. Would I have gotten better results if I did? Maybe but the diet still works either way.

A fun thing I always did during my UD2 cycles was to hit the grocery store immediately before my tension workout and buy the food for my carb load (I never kept any carbs in my apartment during the week so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat). I would look at the nutrition labels and try to find items that had <2.5g fat/50g carbs (I was doing 1000g carbs during the load and eating <50g fat). To me, if it met that ratio it was fair game. Obviously, I would keep the sucrose/fructose thing in mind (i.e. I didn't go buy 2kg of Skittles), but I didn't let it define the load either.
Unread 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the clarification and every of your explanation make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
I've read a lot of different logs where people use the smarties or other dextrose-based candies for their carb allotment immediately post workout.
Just to be sure about the smarties, it is wrong to make "most" of my carbs intake from them ? (like eating 1kg of smarties... could seem strange but I could definitely do it lol)

otherwise I will just spread smarties for first refeed (150-200g carbs), then bagles & pasta.

Anyway I have no trouble to eat precisely what I am supposed to eat the whole week (I ran already 2 RFL cycles with good results)
Unread 06-26-2018, 09:25 PM

If you can do your entire refeed on smarties, you are not human. Not sure if anything bad would happen but I definitely couldn't recommend it for sanity's sake. But the first 150-200g, sure. Lyle recommends a dextrose shake with some whey, and smarties are dextrose so I don't see a problem with that.
Unread 06-27-2018, 06:48 AM

Ahah maybe I overestimate my ability to eat candies, but it seems ok 200 carbs from smarties, 170 from bagels (which should also provide 17g of fat & 17g of sugar) and rest from cream of rice which is nearly no sugar / no fat, but will probably not taste very good..
I checked white pasta they have a lot of sugar in it, but I doubt it is fructose or sucrose, so I can consider it as a good source of carb ? Or should I stay only on cream of rice ?

Sorry I may overcomplicate things, but I want to optimize my cycles :-)

For complex carb during the weekend I will stay on oat, sweet patatoes and switch to vegetables in the end.
Unread 07-03-2018, 07:14 AM

Btw, on the low carb days, is an apple ok as source carb ? (rest of it are vegetables & some oat) or should I remove even one single fruit to optimize glycogen depletion ?
Unread 07-05-2018, 03:17 AM

as long as it is in the range of allowed carbs, apple is fine.
i always eat one fruit before i eat my breakfast. usually its some kiwi thats so delicious and huge (100g) it just melts in my mouth. sad to say its the happiest part of my low caloric day.