BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-10-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Ab Spasms

Every few months or so, I experience severe ab spasms. Very odd. Extremely painful. My abs essentially lock up and contract for several minutes at a time. Often, it's when I happen to be sitting or lying down. The only way to alleviate the situation is to quickly stand up and stretch. Often times I'm incapable of standing up the pain is so severe.

It's probably no coincidence that I experience these episodes after rigorous workouts. Usually, I'll experience these spasms within 24 hours after a UD2 type "power workout" where I've done some weighted situps in a low rep range.

Really surprised this continues to dog me because I routinely engage in something called "foundation training" that focuses on stretching anterior muscle groups. One movement I engage in specifically targets the abs for lengthening.

I also wonder if it's a dehydration issue.

Anyway, it's odd.

Anyone else experience this? Any other thoughts on mitigating this risk?

Thanks
Unread 12-10-2017, 11:29 AM

I had the same issue one time on hard squat day I had to lay down the pain was horrible I thought my stomach was about to pop out of my tummy...

It was triggerred when I tried to lace my shoe in the changing room (so excessive bending forward) now I try to avoid it after hard leg workout (which is obviously hard on abs also)
Unread 12-10-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
Every few months or so, I experience severe ab spasms. Very odd. Extremely painful. My abs essentially lock up and contract for several minutes at a time. Often, it's when I happen to be sitting or lying down. The only way to alleviate the situation is to quickly stand up and stretch. Often times I'm incapable of standing up the pain is so severe.

It's probably no coincidence that I experience these episodes after rigorous workouts. Usually, I'll experience these spasms within 24 hours after a UD2 type "power workout" where I've done some weighted situps in a low rep range.

Really surprised this continues to dog me because I routinely engage in something called "foundation training" that focuses on stretching anterior muscle groups. One movement I engage in specifically targets the abs for lengthening.

I also wonder if it's a dehydration issue.

Anyway, it's odd.

Anyone else experience this? Any other thoughts on mitigating this risk?

Thanks
Quite a few years back after doing good ol cybergenics abs workout. Brutal. I feel bad for you. Those r scary.
Unread 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Hydration and electrolytes: salt, calcium, potassium and magnesium. For a lot of people, increasing magnesium will do the trick. Take care that you separate magnesium intake from your calcium intake. If you're on the supplement route, take magnesium citrate instead of oxide.
Unread 12-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
I had the same issue one time on hard squat day I had to lay down the pain was horrible I thought my stomach was about to pop out of my tummy...
That's exactly what it feels like. Horrible. Once got it while driving. Not good.

I've also heard of Taurine. Could that help??

This happens infrequently so I'm hoping it's just dehydration meets overworking a muscle. That said I'm hoping it isn't something a little more involved due to muscle imbalance. Had a nerve injury a while back and it definitely has decreased the strength on the left side of my upper body just a tad in comparison to my right. Not sure if maybe I'm over compensating and this is the result.
Unread 12-10-2017, 08:58 PM

I've had this a lot. I once had back spasms and had to go to the hospital, since my back wouldn't stop bending backward. That was worse.

I typically get ab spasms while pooping, the night after drinking. Electrolytes and carbs and water make it better.
Unread 12-11-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post

I typically get ab spasms while pooping, the night after drinking. Electrolytes and carbs and water make it better.
Previous to this specific episode, I did a UD2 style "tension workout" the day before and then pushed my body to do a power workout the next day after pounding carbs. However, about 3 hours after my power workout I had an Xmas party at my house. Drinking was involved and urination followed. It was around 11 PM or so when I was sitting at my kitchen table with friends when they thought I was having a heart attack.

Going to chalk this up to a 50 year old man beating up his body too much in a short period of time and then running into dehydration.

I tell you, I fear this pain like no other. It's like somebody is reaching into my stomach and trying to pull my guts out. It's like I'm in an episode of the walking dead.
Unread 12-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Haha

Yeah, it especially sucks when you're on the toilet. No kidding, dude. Once the spasms start, you can't move, so you can't grab the toilet paper. And you're crying out in pain! So it eventually begins to subside, your cries turn to whimpers, and you wait for a few minutes, considering your situation. Every time you bend your torso, spasms will begin again. Sitting too straight is no good, either. So you fall into a slouchy strange seated butt wipe dance. You work all the angles to get the poo off without using your abs. It's survival.
Unread 12-11-2017, 02:53 PM

I get these whenever I do any crunch-like ab work. They suck!

Switching to hanging leg raises doesn't seem to bring on the spasms so I did those for a while.

But adding hanging leg raises to my lower body day left my shoulders feeling constantly sore.

So I basically don't directly train abs anymore.
Unread 12-12-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetissimo View Post
So I basically don't directly train abs anymore.
Haha, the best solution indeed.