BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Default Switching to strength... When / How ?

Hi everybody.

I am currently running the lyle GBR on a bulk, I've added about 8 kgs in about 3 cycles (currently on the 6th week of my 3rd cycle)

The issue is that I am struggling making progress now (I am a bit exhausted in fact) and I think I would enjoy more if I could make faster progress on my big 4 lifts.

My current numbers are BP 8@100, Squat 8@140, sumo DL 5@160, OHP ~ 1@75 and my current weight 84kg for 1.78m and being 28 years old

1) Which powerlifting routine would you recommend depending on my current level ? I was thinking about the texas method, but there may be better options

2) Now I'm probably about 15% bodyfat which I find too much, I would like to start a slow cut to reach around 10%, is a powerlifting routine as good as the GBR to maintain muscle mass during a cut ? Is it even possible to gain strength during a slow cut ?

3) In the long run, will I loose muscle mass working out as a powerlifter instead of following the GBR ? (regarding the texas method it says that light additional arm work can be added on the monday... for the rest won't the lack of volume & hypertrophy work make me shrink ?)

I am sorry if my message is confused, I think I addressed most of my size issues during my last bulk, but when will I address my strength issues...
Thanks for any help you will be able to provide :-)
Unread 12-08-2017, 08:01 AM

It depends it little bit on your preference. Minimalistic training is not working well for most of us. Especially when you want to maintain adaptions in all areas and want to be well rounded.

Personally, I would go with a concurrent routine with a somewhat high exercise selection.

Advantages:
- You will not lose adaptions in the low and high rep range as is the case with linear periodization.
- You will be able to target weaknesses by selecting and rotating the exercises.
- You will be able to improve your desired lifts by selecting exercises that carry over. You may break plateaus that you couldn't break on regular programs.
- You will not be forced to do a deload since rotating exercises in itself is already a way to periodize, limit injuries and manage fatigue.
- It allows you to train more frequently with RPE10 and allows any rep-range you desire. DUP is possible as well.
- It simply is more fun. Mental drain is low, because each time you enter the gym, you'll do something else compared to last week.

Disadvantages:
- May not be the most optimal approach when your sole focus is one lift only.
- May not be optimal when you need a peak week and/or doing meets.
...Honestly, I can't think of any other disadvantages given your current profile.
Unread 12-08-2017, 08:19 AM

It seems great regarding your points.

But I'm not sure it will fit my goals as I want to increase my big 4 lifts :/
(At least you're making a point about me being nervous on failure when going to the gym... this feeling is not good at all)

Last edited by PyromanXP : 12-08-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Unread 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM

I'm still in the progress of figuring out how to apply it to myself. I'm currently using some lifts/weaknesses in a concurrent framework, and some lifts more GBR-style. I want to migrate completely to concurrent. However, I still need to take some time to develop a proper algorithm that works for me. Currently, I don't have a proper algorithm yet, but it will be something along the lines of:

1) Assess your weaknesses and lifts you want to improve
2) Pick 3 to 6 lifts that carryover to the weaknesses and/or lift you want to improve. Be creative (think partial ROM, bands, unconventional lifts, etc.). The more advanced you are, the more lifts you need to pick.
3) Pick secondary exercises to fill up the gaps and increase volume a bit (e.g. side raises, abs, curls). These may also vary, no need to keep them constant.
4) Rotate (or randomize for that matter) the exercises each and every workout.
5) Focus on progress. Be creative here as well. Use cheats, negatives, different rep-ranges, different RPE, explosive, controlled, whatever works best for you and the lift.
6) Keep doing this until either you develop new weaknesses or you want to improve another lift (or until you want to become a cardio bunny).

This protocol allows to use optimal volume (30-70 per muscle group per workout) and optimal frequency (e.g. 2 times a week in an upper/lower format). You can also think about applying some form of DUP (heavy and moderate days).

Some minor notes that may help as well:
I seem to respond better to cheats where muscles are more involved to just holding on to the weight/bounce instead of solely contract. Also, I note that heavy partials translate surprisingly well to full ROM lifts. For example: my RDL increased significantly once I started doing rack pulls.
Unread 12-09-2017, 02:13 PM

I would like to give texas method a try like following :
Monday (volume day)
Squat 5x5@90% of 5RM
Bench press (or OHP) 5x5@90% of 5RM
Sumo deadlift 1x5 @ max
Assistance :
Curl 2x12-15
Skullcrushers 2x12-15
Facepulls 2x12-15

Wednesday (recovery day)
Squat 2x5@80% of monday's weight
OHP 3x5@95% of last monday's weight (or Bench 3x5@90% of last monday)
chinups 3xAMRAP
hyperextension 3-5x10

Friday (intensity day)
Squat 1x5@new RM
BP or OHP 1x5@new RM
Chest sup rowing 3x6-8@max
Assistance :
Weighted dips 2x8-12

How would this routine work in term of muscle "shrinking" during a cut compared to the GBR will it change a lot ?
What kind of assistance could I add ? Or would you change anything in the routine ?

Many thanks for your help
Unread 12-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Perhaps I don't understand the question, but if you haven't added strength while on GBR, you didn't build any new muscle. We're using strength increase to quantify added mass, as long as you're getting more reps and more weight on your bar, you're gaining muscle.

Also, you have advanced numbers for your body-weight, from that point on it's going to be a very slow progress regardless of the routine.

For cutting, just do 1-3 sets for an exercise you want to maintain per week to failure, no point in doing more.
Unread 12-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shredderer View Post
Perhaps I don't understand the question, but if you haven't added strength while on GBR, you didn't build any new muscle. We're using strength increase to quantify added mass, as long as you're getting more reps and more weight on your bar, you're gaining muscle.

Also, you have advanced numbers for your body-weight, from that point on it's going to be a very slow progress regardless of the routine.

For cutting, just do 1-3 sets for an exercise you want to maintain per week to failure, no point in doing more.

I definitely added strength while doing the GBR, recently broke 8 reps @ 102kg on bench press, and 5@160 on sumo deadlift.
But I was thinking that following a pure strength routine would help me increasing numbers faster... the thing is I'll have to cut because I find myself too fat. So is there a point switching to texas method (and some assistance now) or should I wait my next bulk and stay on GBR for the cut ?
Unread 01-09-2018, 05:41 AM

I've done a lot of researches regarding strength oriented routines... and the Texas method does not seem optimal for my profile.

That's a bit sad that Lyle did not write a "Generic Strength Routine", I would have follow it blindly, regarding how effective his bodybuilding routines are on me.

(If you read me and want to write one do not hesitate!)

On my researches people having advanced numbers are having good results with GZCL method, but I am not totally sure about how to implement it and I like to follow a well written plan :/
Unread 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyromanXP View Post
I've done a lot of researches regarding strength oriented routines... and the Texas method does not seem optimal for my profile.

That's a bit sad that Lyle did not write a "Generic Strength Routine", I would have follow it blindly, regarding how effective his bodybuilding routines are on me.

(If you read me and want to write one do not hesitate!)

On my researches people having advanced numbers are having good results with GZCL method, but I am not totally sure about how to implement it and I like to follow a well written plan :/
Why exactly wouldn't texas method suit? Add some volume to whatever you think would benefit from the added volume and voila, best of both worlds.

Maybe I'm ignorant but the only difference between size and strength routines is volume per week. But if you actually follow the recommendations of volume these days, you're never adding weights because you can't recover. Just take a simple strength routine like texas method, add some volume to arms and bam, it's a ''size'' program.

Also, I've never seen anyone get to decent strength standards using a standard bodybuilder 3x8-12 outline but perhaps I'm going to the wrong gyms.

Last edited by Roger Shredderer : 01-24-2018 at 02:01 PM.