BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-20-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
The part about not burning out is also a good idea. The other thing I thought of is just doing the beginner's routine for bodybuilding from the book. Less volume, and since I'm not trying to add mass right now, I'm not sure it really matters.
If you don't need to progress, then you can fall back to simpler routines. The only thing you need to manage is recovery. All other factors become irrelevant. I don't remember very well what the beginners routine of Eric looks like. If you do 2 or 3 times heavy compound exercises, it will probably be too much when you're late intermediate or advanced. Personally, I would just stick with DUP where you try to maintain both intensity and volume. Balanced and proven concept.
Unread 12-20-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
If you don't need to progress, then you can fall back to simpler routines. The only thing you need to manage is recovery. All other factors become irrelevant. I don't remember very well what the beginners routine of Eric looks like. If you do 2 or 3 times heavy compound exercises, it will probably be too much when you're late intermediate or advanced. Personally, I would just stick with DUP where you try to maintain both intensity and volume. Balanced and proven concept.
Novice program is below. Less volume.

I've noticed over the years after dropping shoulder work, rack pulls, and heavier leg press/squats that my shoulders, mid section, and quads don't look as muscular.

If I continue to cut I'd rather at least try to maintain what I have now by adding in a few more exercises to address those concerns.

The other concern is intensity is way too high right now (and was too high to begin with before dieting), so dialing that back a bit is a priority. As I said, deloads and diet breaks haven't really helped.

By dialing back on intensity, I mean cutting back by a rep or two on some top sets, or dropping 5 - 10 lbs. off an exercise. Nothing dramatic.

Novice Bodybuilding Sample Program

Day 1 - Lower

Exercise Sets Reps
Sq Variant 3 5
HH Variant 3 5
SL Variant 2 8
St Calf 3 8

Day 3 - Lower

Exercise Sets Reps
DL Variant 3 8
LP Variant 3 8
Leg Ext 3 12
Leg Curl 2 12
Se Calf 3 15

Day 2 - Upper

Exercise Sets Reps
Hor Push 3 5
Hor Pull 3 5
Ver Push 2 8
Ver Pull 2 8
Flys 3 15

Day 4 - Upper

Exercise Sets Reps
Hor Push 3 10
Hor Pull 3 10
Ver Push 2 12
Ver Pull 2 12
Triceps 2 12
Biceps 2 12
Unread 12-20-2017, 09:02 AM

You're using rack pulls as your DL variant on Lower day 1 and RDL as your hip hinge variant on Lower 2?
Unread 12-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm587 View Post
You're using rack pulls as your DL variant on Lower day 1 and RDL as your hip hinge variant on Lower 2?
Yes, hopefully.

Or vice versa. Doesn't really matter. I realize the rack pull will work mostly the upper body, but I'm not concerned with working my legs there, there's enough leg work in there. And my legs respond well to low volume.
Unread 12-21-2017, 06:08 AM

So, my gym doesn't have flat plates, so stacking plates isn't an option for rack pulls. Our step up platforms are also way too high.

We do however have this "Star Trac Max Rack". It's like a Smith Machine, only it can move backwards and forwards, not just up and down. I tried it with just the bar, and it seems fine, seeing as the range of motion is so short.

Unfortunately a regular barbell won't fit over the pins inside the rack, which sucks. The machine is pictured below.

Unread 12-21-2017, 08:34 AM

One other option as an alternative to rack pulls is a Dorian style deadlift. Just a standard deadlift but you stop just below knees or mid shin and go back up. Basically a rack pull without the rack. I actually prefer them to rack pulls, I feel I get a better tension in the lower back from it.
Unread 12-21-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
One other option as an alternative to rack pulls is a Dorian style deadlift. Just a standard deadlift but you stop just below knees or mid shin and go back up. Basically a rack pull without the rack. I actually prefer them to rack pulls, I feel I get a better tension in the lower back from it.
Isn't that a standard RDL?
Unread 12-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Isn't that a standard RDL?
More like a 3/4s deadlift. Here’s a demonstration

https://youtu.be/nPvDrlSXuP0
Unread 12-21-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I just looked up what that is.

That would be just about the worst exercise I could ever do for my medical condition. I have epididymitis in my right testicle. For the most part there's almost no pain, but pretty much that exact movement causes a shooting pain in my right testicle and abdomen.

That's why deadlifts are out for me. Rack pulls from around the knee are totally fine, at least they used to be. As are RDL's, because I'm lowering the weight, not pulling.
Unread 12-21-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
More like a 3/4s deadlift. Here’s a demonstration

https://youtu.be/nPvDrlSXuP0
Well, that's how I do RDL's. I'm flexible, I guess.