BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Part of the game. Lucky for us, there are superior replacements.
Aesthetically, I got in the best shape of my life doing decline press/hammer incline (better for my beat up shoulders), leg press with a dead pause at the bottom (hit the legs harder due to the pause, and a much easier/safer movement), and rack pulls (regular deads never hit my legs hard anyways and rack pulls allowed me to hit my back hard and heavy).
Unread 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM

Got through Day 1 on the Novice program yesterday.

I think I might swap out RDL's for cable pull throughs on Day 1. I don't want to hammer my lower back too much throughout the week. It's also easier to learn that movement than RDL's.

First time doing squats in years...a bit sore today. Struggled to get 225 x 3, I used to be able to do 295 x 3. I think it has way more to do with re-learning the movement than anything else, but we'll see as time goes on.

I'll probably lower the weight and take it slow. I'll take this approach with every new exercise I'm adding, and then just maintain the exercises that I've already been doing, albeit at a lower intensity (not going to failure like I have been), with a few more sets added.
Unread 01-16-2018, 09:41 AM

Been running this for a few weeks now. I like it, except for my lower back is getting torched.

Day 1 Lower has Squats and Rack Pulls, originally it was because I do day 1 Lower on Monday, and Day 1 Upper on Wednesday. So that way I'm not doing rack pulls the day before an Upper Day.

But the squats end up effecting my rack pulls due to lower back fatigue. Also, doing RDL's in this routine as well is hammering my lower back.

Going to move rack pulls back to Day 2 Lower in which I'm just doing leg press. But I'm going to ditch RDL's...

...any thoughts on a replacement for RDL's? Basically I'm still seeking out a hip hinge exercise, and one that doesn't effect my lower back too much.
Unread 01-16-2018, 09:50 AM

45 degree hyper extensions holding the weight behind your head
Unread 01-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
45 degree hyper extensions holding the weight behind your head
Interesting, as I was doing those before I switched to this routine. Only holding a dumbbells on my chest.

The pad positioned high or low? As in, high enough up in that it doesn't hit the hamstrings, or lower so that it does. I used to do them higher.
Unread 01-16-2018, 10:28 AM

You could...

- try a reverse hyperextension although lower back still stabilizes in that. So maybe not.

- drop the whole hip hinge thing and just do leg curls.

- move the rack pulls to the upper body day or drop them altogether. The way many people do them, with huge weight and pins set fairly high, arguably gives more of an upper back stimulus anyway.
Unread 01-16-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
You could...

- try a reverse hyperextension although lower back still stabilizes in that. So maybe not.

- drop the whole hip hinge thing and just do leg curls.

- move the rack pulls to the upper body day or drop them altogether. The way many people do them, with huge weight and pins set fairly high, arguably gives more of an upper back stimulus anyway.
I have leg curls on one day already. I would just drop it hip hinges, but I kind of need a lot of work, as I suck at the hip hinge movement in general. And all those muscles get worked plenty during squats/rack pulls anyways.

My rack pulls are set right around the knee, and I have them in there because I like what they did for my abs/back in the past. I would move them to an upper body day, but those days are already fairly packed with exercises.
Unread 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Nordic hamstring raise (what a stupid name). I used to do these after deadlifts and they work.
Unread 01-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I have leg curls on one day already. I would just drop it hip hinges, but I kind of need a lot of work, as I suck at the hip hinge movement in general. And all those muscles get worked plenty during squats/rack pulls anyways.

My rack pulls are set right around the knee, and I have them in there because I like what they did for my abs/back in the past. I would move them to an upper body day, but those days are already fairly packed with exercises.
Personally I would just drop the rack pulls and keep RDLs in. There are plenty of ways to work the mid-upper back without significantly involving the erectors but lower back is an integral part of pretty much all hinge type movements (unless I'm missing something.)

Alternatively, glute ham raises might work.. it's kind of a hybrid hinge/leg curl type movement.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 01-16-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Unread 01-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Personally I would just drop the rack pulls and keep RDLs in. There are plenty of ways to work the mid-upper back without significantly involving the erectors but lower back is an integral part of pretty much all hinge type movements (unless I'm missing something.)

Alternatively, glute ham raises might work.. it's kind of a hybrid hinge/leg curl type movement.
Not much hingee there unless you're A framing your torso (ie doing them wrong) its just a atrong knee flexion exercise.