BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-25-2017, 07:35 AM

Default finding the lowest exercise stress threshold

New here and really enjoying all the information - thanks to everyone.

If this is somewhere on the site I haven't investigated yet, please direct me there.
I have been battling the over-exercising habit for years, especially with regard to cardio (I know, I know). I've gotten it way more under control, doing cardio intervals about 3x per week and walking/lifting/yoga the other days. As a 50 year old woman I find that I do need the cardio to maintain the leanness I want.

But I'm interested in knowing if there a "recipe" or procedure for finding the least amount an individual should do to still produce gains in fitness (aerobic capacity, heart health, leanness, etc) while generating the least amount of stress? I've never read anything about it and I'm sure I can just lower the duration/frequency a bit and wait and watch, but any advice would be appreciated.thanks
Unread 12-31-2017, 08:06 PM

Hey i'm sorry no one responded to your post

Do you like doing cardio, or do you find it as more of a necessary evil?

You can eat at your TDEE and maintain your leanness without any cardio - You just have to calculate your TDEE based on your activity without cardio

Do what physical activity you like and accomidate your diet around that.

With that being said, to answer your question - Its really based on what your numbers are looking like.

If you want to make gains in aerobic capacity, track your stats and numbers and slowly progress upwards, If your not making any progress and you feel like your doing too much then tone it down.

Its really something you play by ear.

As for gains in leanness, Are you at the bodyfat percentage you are happy with? If so then i think too much cardio will be less benificial and i think your much better off just eating less calories.
Unread 12-31-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughlove View Post

If this is somewhere on the site I haven't investigated yet, please direct me there.
I have been battling the over-exercising habit for years, especially with regard to cardio (I know, I know). I've gotten it way more under control, doing cardio intervals about 3x per week and walking/lifting/yoga the other days. As a 50 year old woman I find that I do need the cardio to maintain the leanness I want.

But I'm interested in knowing if there a "recipe" or procedure for finding the least amount an individual should do to still produce gains in fitness (aerobic capacity, heart health, leanness, etc) while generating the least amount of stress? I've never read anything about it and I'm sure I can just lower the duration/frequency a bit and wait and watch, but any advice would be appreciated.thanks
Post your total miles you run per week, any recent race time, and how long and fast you run intervals. From a typical standpoint of trying to improve cardio pace/stamina, true interval workouts 3 times per week is a bit much depending on how long and fast...
Unread 01-01-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughlove View Post

You may consider checking out the series of articles Lyle wrote about methods of endurance training. There’s a ton of good information for various styles of aerobic methods. It’s a lot of reading, but well worth it.

Good luck.

Last edited by patriots2 : 01-01-2018 at 04:10 AM.