BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightCrow View Post
That’s the same leg press my gym has. I position my feet so the tip of my toes are just touching where the angle begins. Stupidest design ever, why wouldn’t the just make the entire thing a straight piece.
I eventually settled with having my foot directly in the middle. I found I could still drive through my heel just fine. This is with one legged leg press.

The other issue is where to put the back rest. I ended up keeping it in the middle slot.

The other day I played around with it with regular two leg leg press, and put my feet essentially where you do (toes right under the angled part), with the back rest all the way back in the last slot. It was ok, was still having trouble getting it to feel right, especially in the quads.

The flat plate my old gym had was awesome.
Unread 12-31-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I eventually settled with having my foot directly in the middle. I found I could still drive through my heel just fine. This is with one legged leg press.
Uh, don't put foot in the middle unless you want your hips to explode. Just place your foot like you would in two legs press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Hammer leg presses ftw.
Amen.
Unread 12-31-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Uh, don't put foot in the middle unless you want your hips to explode. Just place your foot like you would in two legs press.
Like this?
Unread 01-01-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldCronk91 View Post
Just because some idiot puts weight he can't handle and is probably hypermobile that he breaks his legs at lockout, doesn't mean anything. Leg press is perfectly safe exercise for 99% of people.
Unread 01-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Actually tried some single leg lp today on the hoist selectorized machine today. Haven't done these in years but it felt good. Felt little more in glutes than usual, I think ill do these over regular LP for a while.
Unread 01-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Actually tried some single leg lp today on the hoist selectorized machine today. Haven't done these in years but it felt good. Felt little more in glutes than usual, I think ill do these over regular LP for a while.
I don't think you mean this Hoist leg press? My old gym in New Orleans had one of these and it was probably the best leg press I've ever used. It was almost a cross between a leg press and a hack squat in some ways. Did wonders for my quad sweep back then.

http://soolis.com/app/helpers/img.ph...-Leg-Press.gif
Unread 01-02-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think you mean this Hoist leg press? My old gym in New Orleans had one of these and it was probably the best leg press I've ever used. It was almost a cross between a leg press and a hack squat in some ways. Did wonders for my quad sweep back then.

When I googled "hoist selectorized leg press" I found this...

https://www.hoistfitness.com/commerc...1403_leg-press

It kind of looks like the Nautilus leg press machine we have. Kind of wondering if I should try that instead of the Precor leg press...pictured in the link below. I tried a couple of light reps on it yesterday, it felt weird.

https://www.google.com/search?q=naut...Q6NZXYfQCBjVM:
Unread 01-02-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:

No it was the one Archuleta posted

https://www.hoistfitness.com/commerc...1403_leg-press

Both the hammer ones were occupied yesterday. I'll try them too see how those feel
Unread 01-02-2018, 07:40 AM

I'd recommend doing this:

a. always start with the weaker leg, let this determine peformance of the stronger
b. do one leg, take a rest period (1-1.5 minutes), do the other leg, rest period, first leg, rest period, etc. If you try to do one leg and then the other with no break, you'll run into CV limitations

The primary guidelines you should adhere to is to let the strength of the weaker side determine what you do with the stronger side

so if you can only do 100X8 with the weak leg, only perform 100X8 on the strong side. Even if you can do 120X8 or 100X12 or whatever. This way the weaker leg can catch the stronger leg.

Also, single leg leg press does NOT lend itself to low reps unless you want to feel like your hip is going to explode. 8's or higher.
Unread 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I've been placing my feet there for at least two years and haven't had any issues. But like I said, I'm trying to switch back to two legged leg press anyways, but even if I go back to single leg, I might try to play around with foot placement.

Might screw around with that Nautilus machine too.

Quote:
I'd recommend doing this:

a. always start with the weaker leg, let this determine peformance of the stronger
b. do one leg, take a rest period (1-1.5 minutes), do the other leg, rest period, first leg, rest period, etc. If you try to do one leg and then the other with no break, you'll run into CV limitations

The primary guidelines you should adhere to is to let the strength of the weaker side determine what you do with the stronger side

so if you can only do 100X8 with the weak leg, only perform 100X8 on the strong side. Even if you can do 120X8 or 100X12 or whatever. This way the weaker leg can catch the stronger leg.

Also, single leg leg press does NOT lend itself to low reps unless you want to feel like your hip is going to explode. 8's or higher.
I actually just do one right after the other, but yeah it's probably best to break it up at least at first.

I also do only two sets, the first is 16 reps, the second 15 reps.