BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Cool. I might pick some up today. I was reading they recommend to titrate up to 100 mg, and start with 50 mg due to nausea.

Obviously I use ERP as the most powerful tool to combat anxiety, but anything extra always helps...exercise, meditation...etc.
Oh yeah, start with lower doses (50mg) and gradually build up.
Unread 01-02-2018, 02:37 PM
Administrator

It's the hormonal response, above a certain intensity, you get a huge adrnealine/noradrenaline response
Unread 01-03-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
It's the hormonal response, above a certain intensity, you get a huge adrnealine/noradrenaline response
Oh yeah, you talked about it on FB a while ago.

Solution: keep intensity at check to avoid this.
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:22 AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/

Was reading a few studies on the use of 5-HTP. This review indicates it's not better than placebo. Although many of the studies look at it in terms of treating depression, and not necessarily panic disorders/anxiety.

There also doesn't seem to be much research out there on long term use.

Here's the abstract, this paper is from 2012.

L-5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the immediate precursor of serotonin. It is readily synthesized into serotonin without biochemical feedback. This nutrient has a large and strong following who advocate exaggerated and inaccurate claims relating to its effectiveness in the treatment of depression and a number of other serotonin-related diseases. These assertions are not supported by the science. Under close examination, 5-HTP may be contraindicated for depression in some of the very patients for whom promoters of 5-HTP advocate its use.
Unread 01-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3415362/

Was reading a few studies on the use of 5-HTP. This review indicates it's not better than placebo. Although many of the studies look at it in terms of treating depression, and not necessarily panic disorders/anxiety.

There also doesn't seem to be much research out there on long term use.

Here's the abstract, this paper is from 2012.

L-5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the immediate precursor of serotonin. It is readily synthesized into serotonin without biochemical feedback. This nutrient has a large and strong following who advocate exaggerated and inaccurate claims relating to its effectiveness in the treatment of depression and a number of other serotonin-related diseases. These assertions are not supported by the science. Under close examination, 5-HTP may be contraindicated for depression in some of the very patients for whom promoters of 5-HTP advocate its use.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC257800/

He concluded that the best natural alternatives to the SSRI were SAMe and 5-HTP.

Although SAMe and 5-HTP may have antidepressant effects when given in an appropriate way, there is no evidence that either compound would be effective or safe in the long term.

Do realize also that 5-HTP is going to jack up your total serotonin levels, which in addition to having a bit of a sedating effect, serotonin is also a precursor for the manufacture of other neurotransmitters. It may take some time to reach a steady state.

I know it worked for me and was helpful for many others. I just indicated that adding 5-htp might be worth considering. If it works, I was right. If it doesn't, you don't know me.