BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-08-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
On a more serious note, eat at MAINTENANCE and train at MAINTENANCE, until you fix your sleep problems.

Without 7-8 hours of sleep per night, you can't expect any progression in gym performance. You're asking for injury with such low amount of sleep. Sleep is just that important.
Hmm been mulling over this. I think I ahould do this too. My sleep absolutely sucks 70-90% of the time
Unread 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Hmm been mulling over this. I think I ahould do this too. My sleep absolutely sucks 70-90% of the time
Actually, Lyle gave me that advice long time ago. And it's pretty damn true. If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, I don't even bother trying to lift weights and break PR's.
Unread 01-09-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
On a more serious note, eat at MAINTENANCE and train at MAINTENANCE, until you fix your sleep problems.

Without 7-8 hours of sleep per night, you can't expect any progression in gym performance. You're asking for injury with such low amount of sleep. Sleep is just that important.
I guess I'm an exception to the rule but I could never sleep more than six hours a night since I was a kid. I hit a 355 bench single without a spot for an easy rep a while back.
So basically all of my PRs and gains were while sleeping really awful, an average of 4-5 hours per night according to my fitbit.

Let's also consider all the roided up BBers on tren who barely sleep yet make insane progress.

tldr; good sleep is optimal but you can't still progress in spite of not having it

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.

Last edited by lostmyoldaccount : 01-09-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Unread 01-10-2018, 12:37 AM

Some people need more sleep than others. Probably a genetic cause. Science isn't conclusive yet. Therefore, the guideline of 7-8 hours a night may work for most, but not everyone.
Unread 01-10-2018, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Some people need more sleep than others. Probably a genetic cause. Science isn't conclusive yet. Therefore, the guideline of 7-8 hours a night may work for most, but not everyone.
Protein synthesis doesn't only happen at night. It's not like "oh crap didn't sleep well, zero gains today".

If sleeping well is your yard stick for overtraining sure, but your average college athlete with top tier genetics is out partying, drinking, barely sleep and blowing your average normie with 7-8 hours of sleep away.

Get to 10% bodyfat first while lifting weights heavy 3x a week with reduced volume. Two weeks maintenance. Bulk up slowly (1 lb weight gain per week max), focus on getting stronger, measure body composition changes often.
Unread 01-10-2018, 03:29 AM

Those are exceptions and are very rare, usually seen at top level athletes. Michael Jordan slept 3-4 hours per night and still did what he did.
Unread 01-10-2018, 04:08 AM

I lose my short-term memory if I get a lot of fatigue/sleep deprivation. Traumatic brain injury. It really sucks. Like blacking out, sober. I've quit jobs over it. Cause it made me angry. I can still function highly, I am a wild animal, it just is like waking up at some point, and it's as if somebody else was controlling you while you had no memory, cause your conscious was asleep.
Unread 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Michael Jordan slept 3-4 hours per night and still did what he did.
Sorry, off topic but that's absolutely insane if true. Any legit research to verify it?

But athletes brag and talk a lot of BS so probably not.

Unread 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post
Sorry, off topic but that's absolutely insane if true. Any legit research to verify it?

Could be honestly. Plenty of legit people vouching for top notch russian/greek olympic lifters getting blitzed and then rocking out 3x bw squats and 200k+ cleans in the morning. The genetic elite are another level altogether
Unread 01-12-2018, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmyoldaccount View Post

Well, there's no actual research, just stories from his teammates and trainers about it.

During 1992 Olympics, Magic Johnson told that they used to play cards until 4 AM, and the game was at 9 AM. Magic survived for three nights and fourth night when MJ insisted to play some more, Magic said to Michael "We're just not like you man, we need some sleep". During that time, Jordan used to play poker until 4 AM, wake up 2 hours before game, play some golf with Chuck Daly, and then at 9 AM absolutely destroy every other world team.

I don't think it's BS, we're talking about possibly the greatest genetics/athletes of all time.

Last edited by zLeeKo : 01-12-2018 at 02:50 AM.