BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM
nsteel nsteel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 65
Default Machines vs free weights

I've recently switched my training from free weights to machines.
Im able to lift a great deal more weight on machines vis a vis free weight.
As an illustration, my 5 rep max on the barbell bench press is 112 kg. On the bench press machine it is 170kg. After just 1 such workout my pecs look noticeably bigger.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of machines - getting stronger at the expense of negating the stablizers, etc.

My question is this. Does the massive increase in weight used on machines outweigh the disadvantages of using machines if hypertrophy is my goal?
  #2  
Unread 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM
mutombo's Avatar
mutombo mutombo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 84
Default

No real value in comparing the two exercises by weight lifted. They are different exercises. Like Squat vs Leg Press.

You can do 170kg now on the machine, great, but what really matters is the relative change over time for that exercise. So, if you can use the machine, without getting injured and increase the weight over time. Great, stick with it.

Why did you switch to the machine?
  #3  
Unread 01-08-2018, 12:16 AM
nsteel nsteel is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 65
Default

Boredom. I've been using free weights for decades and have recently found it difficult to motivate myself
  #4  
Unread 01-08-2018, 01:26 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 773
Default

I mostly use Hammer machines, most of them are bombs.

Who gives a damn about stabilizers, how big you think they can get?

Progressive overload is all it matters.
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
  #5  
Unread 01-08-2018, 02:26 AM
BigPecsPeter BigPecsPeter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,275
Default

If all you're talking is hypertrophy, and nothing else, then you needn't touch a single 'free weight' ever again.
  #6  
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:48 AM
w1cked w1cked is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
I mostly use Hammer machines, most of them are bombs.

Who gives a damn about stabilizers, how big you think they can get?

Progressive overload is all it matters.
me too. I actually put on more muscle and started actually feel them working esp in back chest etc. all my back work is hammer save for chest supported row and so is legs...quicker workouts, joints feel better, see 0 issues since I dont intend to do a meet or anything
  #7  
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
lylemcdonald lylemcdonald is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsteel View Post
I've recently switched my training from free weights to machines.
Im able to lift a great deal more weight on machines vis a vis free weight.
As an illustration, my 5 rep max on the barbell bench press is 112 kg. On the bench press machine it is 170kg. After just 1 such workout my pecs look noticeably bigger.

I'm aware of the drawbacks of machines - getting stronger at the expense of negating the stablizers, etc.

My question is this. Does the massive increase in weight used on machines outweigh the disadvantages of using machines if hypertrophy is my goal?
If anything machines are superior for hypertrohy because you do not have to balance the weights.
  #8  
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
me too. I actually put on more muscle and started actually feel them working esp in back chest etc. all my back work is hammer save for chest supported row and so is legs...quicker workouts, joints feel better, see 0 issues since I dont intend to do a meet or anything
IMO, if your primary goal is to train the prime movers (pecs, back, delts, tris etc), I think a more stable movement like machine is a better option. Why? If you're limited by stabilizer muscles (rotator cuff), that limits how much weight (tension) you can put on the target muscles. There's a reason that a lot of bodybuilders like machines and this is bascially it: since they don't care about 'functional' blah blah, their goal is to target the prime movers.
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
  #9  
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:14 AM
alcahuetej's Avatar
alcahuetej alcahuetej is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
IMO, if your primary goal is to train the prime movers (pecs, back, delts, tris etc), I think a more stable movement like machine is a better option. Why? If you're limited by stabilizer muscles (rotator cuff), that limits how much weight (tension) you can put on the target muscles. There's a reason that a lot of bodybuilders like machines and this is bascially it: since they don't care about 'functional' blah blah, their goal is to target the prime movers.
Yeah but nobody cares about my max Hammer Incline Press on Instagram...
  #10  
Unread 01-08-2018, 10:46 AM
zLeeKo's Avatar
zLeeKo zLeeKo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Yeah but nobody cares about my max Hammer Incline Press on Instagram...
Machines are not macho, 225 or 315 barbell bench is what you need..
__________________
"He never had the makings of a varsity athlete"
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.