BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 01-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
If all you're talking is hypertrophy, and nothing else, then you needn't touch a single 'free weight' ever again.
I wish I could adopt this mentality. I feel some sort of guilt if I'm not choosing free weights over machines..
Unread 01-08-2018, 02:30 PM

Well yeah, but if the muscles become stronger we sure want that our tendons and connective tissue get proper adaptions as well. Free weights are superior for that.

Also, some free weight exercises allow for more body momentum and overload can occur for a longer period of time (think cheat rows for example). In that regard, free weights may be superior. (Or more dangerous )

Finally, free weights may offer more "compound"-like results (again, think cheat rows, dead lift or squat). The lower back, abs, etc. probably get sufficient volume, thus decreasing the need to program more exercises for those specific body parts.

In conclusion: I think the best way is to mix things up rather than to pick one over the other.
Unread 01-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Just gotta go with whats necessary for YOUR goals really. Better to see free weights machine bodyweight kettlebells whatever as tools there are no bad ones but you should use a hammer to nail something not a wrench.
Unread 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Just gotta go with whats necessary for YOUR goals really. Better to see free weights machine bodyweight kettlebells whatever as tools there are no bad ones but you should use a hammer to nail something not a wrench.
So you're saying use Hammer Strength Machines.
Unread 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
So you're saying use Hammer Strength Machines.
Always.

I gotta say though this row machine is pretty damn awesome
http://www.discountonlinefitness.com...15_4456287.gif

It looks a lot like the hammer iso or low row but the pad angle does something, its the best contraction I felt emphasizing the lower lat attachment
Unread 01-08-2018, 09:10 PM

This really isn't an either or when you can do both....but out of the two i'd personally recommend free weights always, especially dumbbells. As I said below, stabilizers helped me a ton with joint health. I also like the more free range of motion with dbs. I feel too locked in on machines and find myself favoring one side, whereas dbs make you use both independently.

If you find it works best for you and isn't causing joint stress then go for it.

If I had any vested interest in your training though, Id recommend dumbbells with some machine work at the tail end, if you enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
I mostly use Hammer machines, most of them are bombs.

Who gives a damn about stabilizers, how big you think they can get?

Progressive overload is all it matters.
I care a bunch. Working on my stabilizers helped a ton with joint health. Went from having elbow, shoulder and knee issues to none/only minor issues with my elbow due to old tennis injury.
Unread 01-09-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
I care a bunch. Working on my stabilizers helped a ton with joint health. Went from having elbow, shoulder and knee issues to none/only minor issues with my elbow due to old tennis injury.
Sorry, I forgot you're a special little flower.
Unread 01-09-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLeeKo View Post
Sorry, I forgot you're a special little flower.
No free weights/bands/cables definitely improve joint health (unless you're going crazy). That's a fact.
Unread 01-09-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
No free weights/bands/cables definitely improve joint health (unless you're going crazy). That's a fact.
Higher reps improve joint health and are good for CT health. So you can do higher reps on machines to compromise.
Unread 01-09-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Always.

I gotta say though this row machine is pretty damn awesome
http://www.discountonlinefitness.com...15_4456287.gif

It looks a lot like the hammer iso or low row but the pad angle does something, its the best contraction I felt emphasizing the lower lat attachment
We don't have that one, but we do have the Hammer Seated Low Row (I think that's what you're referring to). I might switch to that from seated cable rows. I hate how the plate stack jumps up in 20 lb. increments after 150 lbs.
Closed Thread