BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Cable Row Technique

Article on the main site
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:06 AM

So what are your thoughts on using the narrow v-bar grip and trying to get more ROM out of the exercise by almost letting the stack get all the way back down at the end of each rep. I know there's more chance to abuse this and start swinging yoru body around to lift more weight, but the stretch in the lats when doing it this way at least give the illusion that it is more effective.
Unread 01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Not 100% sure what you're describing. Do you mena letting the upper back flex or something else?

There is also an issue that if you let the shoulder stretch too far forwards, this can be detrimental to the rotator cuff.
Unread 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM

I mean by allowing yourself to bend at hip slighly while doing the exercise. Bending forward a bit at the beginning and finishing the pull in a position like the examples.
Unread 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

If you're flexing at the hip (which is fine up to a point, see my comment response on the article), it's not doing anything to stretch the lats. It may seem like it but you're not changing anything about the length-tension relationship of the lats by leaning forwards at the hip.
Unread 01-21-2016, 07:27 AM

Good article. I had not done an underhand grip cable row in a long time and have recently started doing them again. In the article it says/shows an under grip row hitting at around the belly button.

How is the form shown in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj19fFUMbIs

That is not me in the video but I have similar form. Underhand grip row hits maybe 5 inches above the belly button. I'm wondering if this within the normal range of deviation (possibly having to do with the location of the cable attachment itself) or if it is possibly more of a technical problem/imbalance/tight upper back/whatever.

I've tried to row to the belly button and it just doesn't 'fit' if that makes any sense. The shoulder blades just don't go that low even when scooping them down and back.
Unread 01-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Look at his forearms and how they are tilted above the horizontal. He's also leaning back slightly which changes where it will hit
Unread 01-22-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcdonald View Post
Look at his forearms and how they are tilted above the horizontal. He's also leaning back slightly which changes where it will hit
I find that it's hard to force the bar to stay lower so forearms stay horizontal. Is it not related to how the bar attaches to the cable stack relative to where the seat is (how far off the ground)? I've tried rowing to the belly button but it always creeps up a tick.
Unread 06-24-2018, 07:35 AM

I donít feel as much mid-back contraction when rowing with an underhand grip compared to a neutral v-bar grip. Is this typical?