BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-30-2018, 03:18 AM

Thanks. To be perfectly frank, the cardio hasn't been for weight loss. It started because five minutes of strenuous activity was enough to make me feel like I'm dying. But I see what you're saying.

I do wonder if I haven't shot myself in the foot. The numbers on the scale have become very resistant to change, despite nothing really changing in my diet. I *am* eating better, or at least more broadly. This might sound strange, but I'd never had a salad, before starting this diet. Seemed like filling up on nothing, without much in the taste department. Not a terrible way to add some variation, though I haven't done anything more creative than toss different meats into a bowl of spinach and pico.

About the resistance. I just read the thing about Lyle's updated stance on refeeds. The calculator still says to do refeeds. Either way, I've been telling myself that I'll take my break five days from now, so I guess it's not a huge issue.

I *do* feel like I'm responding well to the full body workouts. I think everyone's probably right about recovery, on that front. One thing I've noticed that's very different from when I first got really serious about lifting, when I was younger, is that I'm not zapped afterwards, the way that I used to get. So I guess that must mean my intensity is a lot less than it was back then.

3x / week? I thought it was supposed to be no more than twice. I don't have any issue with making that happen. Kind of paranoid, because I've had tennis elbow issues in the past, and the last thing I want to do is get injured. I've only been working out for three months, don't want to do anything to interrupt the habit.

I'm really looking forward to maintenance eating. I'm thinking protein-oatmeal, for breakfast. Salad or similar, for lunch, bringing back in the beans and corn that I've been saying 'no' to and really kind of missing. Probably add whatever's left of the carb balance to my peri-workout nutrition. I don't miss carbs, at all.

Thanks for all of the input, guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by Fatty McFatso : 05-30-2018 at 04:00 AM.
Unread 05-30-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Lastly, look into Anterior Pelvic Tilt. If you're overweight and work desk jobs I can about guarantee you have it and will need to correct it. It will probably take 6 months but that is what is going to prevent you from getting injured (particularly pulled hamstrings).
I've done all of five minutes of reading, after reading this comment. Oh wow. And here I was wondering if my stomach wasn't just severely distended. Yeah, it looks like I might have that, pretty bad. I wonder if that's part of why my squats still feel so awkward. Going to have to read up on this one, I have no idea how to go about fixing it. Thanks!
Unread 06-01-2018, 05:41 PM

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=32886

That's a pretty good start right there.

I got rid of most of mine and mine was bad. Probably the most valuable thing I've ever accomplished in terms of diet/training for both appearances and injury prevention

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 06-02-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=32886

That's a pretty good start right there.

I got rid of most of mine and mine was bad. Probably the most valuable thing I've ever accomplished in terms of diet/training for both appearances and injury prevention
Thank you for the resource. Between that and the Cressey series Lyle referenced I've got plenty of reading to do. Makes a lot of sense. I figured muscle memory would just magically bring my squats back in line, and I've been scratching my head, trying to figure out why they've just felt awkward.

Someone commented that my gut looks smaller, today. Not sure if that's true, but I thought the same thing, when I woke up. Nice to feel like I'm making progress on that front.

Even so, still plan on starting my maintenance eating diet break, on Monday. I figure that, if the plan's gotten me this far, no sense in deviating, now. Hopefully maintenance eating won't do more than maintain me, and I'll be ready to dive into another round, after my metabolism's recovered (two to four weeks?). I don't want to overtax my recovery capabilities for any prolonged amount of time, anyway.

I haven't decided if I'm going to just eat right versus try something fancy, diet-wise. I realize that anything fancy would probably be unnecessary minutia, right now. The issue for me is psychological. Things like that keep me focused, as opposed to 'just eat right', which can become an allowance with a lot of wiggle room. What I mean is that it would be easier to, say, go keto, and do a controlled refeed, than to approximate three macros at each meal. I can't decide if that would be a smart way to cut down on my margin for error, or a lazy way to avoid developing better meal patterns.

I did something funky (bad) to my lower back, with weighted situps. I don't think it's anything I can't foam roll out. Think I'll stick to standing pulley crunches.

The full body workouts, in general, seem to be agreeing with me. I definitely noticed that I was working sore glutes, when I did my deadlifts, tonight, but it didn't seem to impact my performance. Some discomfort in my (outside) left forearm, when I did my lat pulldowns, which is a semi-common thing, for some reason. A dull pain. Not sure why that's happening, on that one particular exercise. Maybe a kinesiology buff can tell me if that hints at my grip being too wide or narrow, or whatever else.

All in all, things seem good. Really happy to have received that clue re. pelvic tilt. "Crap, I look pregnant," was one of the things that got me back in the gym.
Unread 06-02-2018, 12:39 PM

My recommendation

1) Absolutely Take the diet break if that's what it's time to do and use it to find some RFL "non-compliant" healthy foods you enjoy. The best advice is just to walk the perimeter of the grocery store where you're finding meats, veggies, etc and stay away from the microwaved and most of the packaged products aisles. This would be a good time to re-introduce WHOLE grains whether it's pasta or something else from whole grain choices. (I really like Kashi Cereal for instance). Come up with some healthy alternatives... You can make burritos healthy if you buy 96% lean meat, whole grain burrito shells, salsa, lettuce, peppers, etc.... Just dont cover it sour cream or absurd amounts of cheese or other crap. There is something rewarding about fixing a healthy meal that taste great and psychologically it prepares you for the fact that long term dieting is sustainable and doesn't have to suck. You don't need to stay on a "lose 3 lbs/week" extreme diet the rest of your life. Lose the big pounds now while you're fresh and you've got plenty to lose... you can convert to balanced eating once you've got your habits formed. "First we make our habits, then our habits make us."

2) Even on this diet break your composition is going to continue to improve because your gym performance should improve with the re-introduction of carbs.

3) I mentioned earlier 3x per week full body and yes i totally forgot that's not ideal long term on RFL. You can get away with it for a few weeks but long run it will cause stalling. I'd switch to 3x fullbody while you're on your diet break then head back to 2x once you resume.

4) MAKE SURE YOU RESUME RFL. LOL. A lot of people have trouble taking a break then resuming. Just do it. You're doing great.

5) It will be too overwhelming to read everything I posted then everything Lyle posted via the Cressey series. You won't remember how to do all of these things correctly while you're at the gym. Start with my list. Those are significantly easier/simpler than the Cressey exercises which take a fair amount of basic mobility/athleticism. Practice the first exercise at home while watching it on youtube until you've got it down. The next day add a 2nd exercise at home... etc...etc... you don't need to go do all 65 exercises right away. Mobility will improve VERY quickly if you just do 2-3 of these a day until you become flexible enough to add trickier ones. The key to improving mobility is CONSISTENCY. These can be done daily.. you can't just try them twice a week on days you go to the gym that won't get you far. Beyond that you need to hold a stretch for 30 seconds to really get anything from it. Try doing a few warmup stretches in the pose you are working on. Then push yourself to stretch farther on your "work set". Focus on slow, deep, controlled breathing and posture. Lastly, see if you can eek out just a LIIIITLE more stretch after the "work set" stretch burning becomes more comfortable. This is where you're making progress breaking new barriers.

And yeah I'd eliminate the situps altogether. They aren't a very safe exercise and the benefits from them are so small they aren't really worth all the effort.

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-02-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: a
Unread 06-03-2018, 03:18 AM

I guess I'm lucky, in that I'm an extremely picky eater. Pretty much the only condiment I'll touch is hot sauce, so sour cream and the such are out by default.

Here's what I'm working with, per the calculator

Quote:
Daily Maintenance Calories:
2955 kCals/day

Protein Per Day:
241.5 g

Carbs Per Day:
301.3 g

Fat Per Day:
87.1 g
I'm not sure if that's counting fish oil or not, so let's say that it is, and that I'm getting 10gr fish oil per day. That makes per meal

Quote:
60 gr or ~8oz protein
25 gr or ~2 tbsp fat
75 gr or ??? CHO
Numbers are kind of screwy looking, on their face, because one of those four meals will be my peri/post workout nutrition, which won't include the fats. So three meals, one workout shake. That's almost identical to what I used to bulk with (minus 100gr protein), so I think I should be able to figure it out. Just need to figure out what 75gr cho looks like, in something other than gummy bears.

I really want to just dump all 300 gr of that CHO into a pwo shake and call it a day, though, fml.

My next workout is Monday, not counting tomorrow's race. I am / will be using Lyle's PSMF workout, plus two variations of the same. Or one variation of the same, plus a third full body workout that I'd like to comprise of lifts that I like, but can't fit into Lyle's template. I'm thinking the main lift of that workout will be high bar squats, so that I've got one workout for each of high and low bar squats, and deadlifts. Unless mixing the two squats would just result in me not developing good form in either. I've also considered doing leg press, as another option, to give my lower back a break. I'm just going stream of thought at this point. a: bb bench, b: incline db bench, c: (hopefully) dips; etc. You get the picture. I realize there's nothing particularly sexy about a beginner workout, so I appreciate everyone's feedback on this stuff.

Thanks again for all of the input. I haven't scratched the surface of the mobility stuff. Did some foam rolling, tonight, the hip flexor stretches, and a few RKC planks. No idea if I'm doing them right, or not. Need to watch some videos on all of this stuff (does anyone remember how much it suck to learn lifting, before youtube?). For some reason, stretching and foam rolling leave me winded just as easily as lifting will. TBH, I think getting into a stretching / yoga routine will be much more difficult for me than diet and exercise ever were. So I'll be logging it here, at least for a while.
Unread 06-04-2018, 10:09 PM

1)Stretching is a lot more active exercise than people think. After I get done with mobility training I usually hop on the bike or treadmill and my heartrate is actually FASTER when I first get on the machine then it is while I'm walking/biking for distance.

Granted I walk slowly because I'm reading and I don't want high intensity that takes away from my lifting routine but still, this isnt something that's intuitive for most people I'd imagine.

2) I would 100% build muscle memory for one squat variation before you incorporate another. If you learn another this early your body will try to incorporate parts of both of them and you can really injure yourself by forming poor movement patterns, especially this early when they'll be ingrained and harder to correct later.

3) Try those glute bridges. I re-introduced them into my routine today and I was amazed at how hard they were, particularly with the raised leg variation. Haven't done them in nearly a year. They look silly and too easy but they will activate your glutes and get them to fire so that squats start to feel correct. They go from difficult to easy very quickly so it's a nice little motivation boost as you can see instantaeous results.

4) Also the hamstring ball curl is probably my personal favorite exercise. This thing just makes my hamstrings feel amazing afterwards and the next day. I have a history of hamstring pulls. This has a way of strengthening them but also just giving them some major relief in general. One of the principal components associated with APT is lower back pain. So everything you're doing here is going to give you immense relief from that as well. Essentially you are reactivating your hamstrings, abs, and glutes so your lower back doesn't have to keep doing all the work all day. You'll feel like a totally new person in ~15-30 days if you just keep this stuff up. Lighter on your feet, less sore, just an all around feeling of springiness.

There are better examples than this video for technique but I linked to this one because oh boy... You might need to watch it twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk8dpH4ZPos

Keep going buddy! Rooting for ya

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 06-04-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: add
Unread 06-05-2018, 04:02 AM

Today was first day of maintenance eating. It went poorly. Getting the calories back up is going to take a minute. I'll probably continue my PSMF eating habits, and just add shots of olive oil to my meals, as I build back up. I did enjoy pwo pretzels, though, which it turns out are much more satisfying than pwo dextrose.

So I fall into Cressey's "in need of entire kinetic chain overhaul" category. I didn't find the series itself that complicated, but I do have a few hangups. Is that routine appropriate for beginners? How does anyone superset deadlifts and warrior poses without feeling like a colossal douche? I also have zero idea how I'd actually run that workout, in the gym, short of dragging around a tablet with me, since I don't recognize half of those exercises.

For now, I'm going to continue on with Lyle's workout. And run Cressey's 'off days home rehab' routine on my off days. I did tack on a few exercises from Cressey to the Lyle workout. I figured that, off the PSMF, the additional volume shouldn't kill me. Someone pls correct me, if I'm missing something there. Rear delt flyes, saxon side-bends, and then also the stability ball ham curls. Saxon side-bends feel like they tax my shoulders more than my sides. Those hamstring curls are much harder than they look. Doing other things, like subbing out my bent over rows for the rows Cressey describes, and standard deadlifts for snatch grip deadlifts (for the same reason).

Re the stretching, I think I'm probably just holding my breath. Counting breaths instead of seconds seems to make it more manageable. I'm going to start a trial with a new gym, thinking about trying a few of their yoga classes in the process. Anyone have a good Nolvadex source? J/k. Sort of.
Unread 06-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Yeah the Cressey series is very complicated. Personally, I think I'd want a personal trainer or an exercise class if i was trying to do all that stuff. Simply a lot to remember and perform. And there's the colossal douche angle you mentioned that is a definite factor. Those are more for certain types of gyms where they have the layout for you to perform that kiind of stuff without taking up an absurd amount of other peoples space

Glute bridges and hamstring ball curls will make all the difference in the world initially. I take those Cressey exercises to be for people who have already really made serious fitness strides.

Unread 06-06-2018, 04:12 AM

Tried my first yoga class tonight. The instructor commented on my rounded shoulders and weight-bearing, which, by now, I've already been made aware of. Class seemed alright.

Did Cressey's "at home postural GPP." The external rotations felt good, the same way that face pulls feel good to me. I think it must be because I'm stretching something that needs to be stretched. Or working something that needs to be worked. Or both.

I'm going to start including rotator work in my full body workouts. Cressey's article mentions a couple. I'll probably do one of them in each of my three workouts.

The new gym I'm trialling seems to offer body assessments, including postural. They use some fancy full-body scanner, I should've gotten the name, but didn't. I haven't found what they charge for it. If it's free, I'm game, if not, we'll see.

Walked the dog for cardio.

Still working on getting my calories up to maintenance.