BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-13-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymoose View Post
Do you go heavy/low reps?
I don't know what's optimal, I'll let someone else answer that. I also suspect it's an individual thing, depending on your goals and the rest of your program.

I had a shoulder issue (it's still slightly there, but subsiding week to week), so I was careful with form, and keep reps higher.

I do 3 sets of 12, twice/week. But I'm also doing no pressing in my routine currently to heal my shoulder. I may cut back sets or one day of upright rows once I start pressing again (no overhead pressing though).

My gut tells me it's probably better to keep reps slightly higher, at least maybe 8 - 12, and keep your form strict. Another reason for strict form and lighter weight/high reps is to ensure you're isolating the shoulders, and not using your traps, or leaning back and heaving up the weight and involving your lower back.
Unread 07-14-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
I don't know what's optimal, I'll let someone else answer that. I also suspect it's an individual thing, depending on your goals and the rest of your program.

I had a shoulder issue (it's still slightly there, but subsiding week to week), so I was careful with form, and keep reps higher.

I do 3 sets of 12, twice/week. But I'm also doing no pressing in my routine currently to heal my shoulder. I may cut back sets or one day of upright rows once I start pressing again (no overhead pressing though).

My gut tells me it's probably better to keep reps slightly higher, at least maybe 8 - 12, and keep your form strict. Another reason for strict form and lighter weight/high reps is to ensure you're isolating the shoulders, and not using your traps, or leaning back and heaving up the weight and involving your lower back.
Sounds like you're taking a reasonable approach. Better to be safe than reinjured.

Tough call like you say. Seems like everyone has differing opinions on diets, exercises, reps, cadence, splits, etc. A sustainable approach that can meet ones lifestyle and preferences should be ok.

So many experts, so much confusion. Health, improvement & enjoyment of ones approach may be enough. Optimal in theory is often disastrous in practice.
Unread 07-25-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriots2 View Post

So many experts, so much confusion. Health, improvement & enjoyment of ones approach may be enough. Optimal in theory is often disastrous in practice.
Disagree.

What is disastrous is people misreading/misunderstanding the theory, not applying it correctly in practice, and than blaming the theory.

Also, labeling someone as expert due to having a few clips on Youtube is a mistake. There are only a handful of people in the field that we can say are real experts. All others are just way below and their advice needs to be taken with a critical mind

on topic: overhead press is not really needed if your goal is delt hypertrophy. One can do very well with different variants of lateral raises (machine, dumbbell, cables,..) as long as the progression is kept. I used to do lots of upright rows, which are great (depending on the width of grip they focus more on delt or trap) but since my recent issues with shoulders I am avoiding both exercises. The only exercise that does me well besides lateral raises (i.e. doesn't cause shoulder pain) are one arm barbell shoulder presses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laXglmkoCjc. Try those and see how you like them

Last edited by muki : 07-25-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Unread 07-26-2018, 08:08 AM

Single arm smith machine press.