BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > Logs > Logging your progress
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-21-2010, 12:45 PM

Sun: 182
Mon -0.3, Wed +1, Fri +1.3, Sat -2
Sun: 185lbs (starting point this week)

Eating this level of lean protein exclusively from animal sources still requires conscious effort on my part. This past week, I had other stuff going on that demanded my full attention and this meant that I wasn't as focused as necessary on RFL. As a result, I found myself playing catch up with meal times, supplements and water intake. I managed to hit the protein and EFA targets on 5 days. Multis, K, Ca and Mg were hit and miss but I corrected these by the end of the week. Water intake remained low or extremely low throughout.

I spent most of the week feeling, but not looking, swollen, especially around the mid-section. This was not totally unexpected given how last week went. However, I exacerbated things by eating too little in the way of vegetables earlier in the week, forgetting to add wheat bran to free meals, not drinking enough water and erratic supplementation. Special teas gave some relief although I paid with stomach pains.

I was lethargic most of the time and didn't get enough sleep on most days.

Distracted, distended and drained sums up the week. I feel okay now and should be fine by tomorrow. The week ahead will be pretty full on again so it'll be interesting to see how well I remember not to forget RFL.

I don't usually eat on Sundays (too stuffed) but I intend to do so consistently from now on. I'll have 70% protein today and go up to 100% next Sunday. My body wants me to start exercising so the sooner I get on top of the protein, the sooner I get to switch activity categories.

Since my scale weight had been creeping up during the week, I decided to be 'more free' with my first free meal and was 'even more free' (read death by dessert) with the second one. My weight usually stays the same after free meals but this time it went down slightly (0.75lbs) after the first one and went up considerably (3lbs) after the second one.

Has anyone else come across this general dieting idea of temporarily spiking your caloric intake if your diet isn't 'working'? I can't remember where (or whether) I read this tip. (By 'working' I mean not being reflected on the scale in a case where there are no other explanations. My week had enough variations to explain the scale weight)
Unread 02-21-2010, 01:18 PM

you mean a diet break? or carb cycling? Lyle has written about this.
Unread 02-21-2010, 02:03 PM

I guess carb cycling means rotating between high and low carb. Is this done based on time (one day up, one day down) or results?

My understanding of diet breaks is that you're giving your body a rest of around two weeks before resuming the diet.
Unread 02-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbody View Post
I guess carb cycling means rotating between high and low carb. Is this done based on time (one day up, one day down) or results?

My understanding of diet breaks is that you're giving your body a rest of around two weeks before resuming the diet.
I'd read his diet articles
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlankIt View Post
I'd read his diet articles
Did a search in the articles to help - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...d-i-do-qa.html

Carb cycling can appear in a multitude of forms (UD2.0 being one very controlled version).

How controlled are your free meals? I just skimmed your posts and I see a lot of RFL deviations (whole eggs, "sort of" RFL appropriate meals) and cheat days. Have you calculated your average daily caloric intake v expenditure taking all of these things into account? How big is your weekly deficit?

Have you completed a single solid week of COMPLETE RFL-adherent dieting?
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:11 AM

I'm okay with my progress, I was just curious about one point i.e. if anyone had heard about how a temporary spike in calories can stimulate a scale weight change.. I can't remember whether it was something I had read or whether it was something I had surmised. And I cant remember where I read it.
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springbody View Post
I'm okay with my progress, I was just curious about one point i.e. if anyone had heard about how a temporary spike in calories can stimulate a scale weight change.. I can't remember whether it was something I had read or whether it was something I had surmised. And I cant remember where I read it.
But I don't think that applies to you because you've been doing a lot of small spikes
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM

Sun: 185
Mon -2.25, Wed -1.75, Sat -1
Sun: 180lbs (starting point this week)

I put on 2.25lbs after my first free meal but experienced no weight change after the second one. The latter (or a gain of upto a 1lb max) is my preference and I'm pleased that I found my way back to this state.

I use the same basic structure for my free meals i.e. grain choosen from the higher protein varieties, meat/fish (fattier cuts), vegetables, homemade dessert and occasionally a starter.

This week I added legumes to the list and as a result was completely stuffed after my first free meal and gained 2.25lbs. I only ate 88% of my required protein the next day. For the second free meal, I cut down the portion sizes of the grain and legume (something I had overlooked with the first free meal) and that brought things back to a state I'm happier with (i.e. 0 to 1lb weight change post FM). I'm much less stuffed today so eating protein to required level is less of a grind.
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Going into next week...

At the start of this cycle, I thought I should hold off on exercising until I dropped into the Overweight BMI range. Over the last few weeks, I have considered switching activity categories but I've made a decision to stick to my original plan.

So this week (my sixth official week on RFL), I'll continue to aim for 100% of my c84g of protein on all days and I'll test my free meals to see whether I'm completely back into a post-FM weight change that I'm happy with. Also, instead of adhering to an Intermittent Fasting eating window between 1130am and 730 pm, I'll start eating earlier in the day and over a longer period (10am to 8pm). For some reason, I rarely get hunger signals and have little to no appetite (except on free meal days!)

Last edited by springbody : 02-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Unread 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

PlankIt

I skimmed over your replies yesterday (late night, too tired to focus) and I felt that you were answering a question I hadn't asked. I've just reread today and yes, I agree with yesterday's me.

If I can find a way to reword it, I'll put it up again. But thanks anyway for your replying.