BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM

^^Agreed.

Going back to fixing a squat, what is your opinion regarding using elastic bands. Like I've said, I won't have access to the gym for a while and squatting has alway been my weak spot, even going below parallel with proper form. So I've been watching some Kelly Starrett videos and he tends to use elastic bands to help with the stretch and form (example; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gwgm3s2EQ0)

Basically, my question is: what is your opinion about Kelly Starrett (are his advices worth following) and do you recommend using elastic bands to help with squatting/stretching (or are they not worth your money). Thanks

Last edited by Jake97 : 08-15-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylemcd View Post
He was asking specifically about tight hip flexors and anterior pelvic tilt.
I have the same issue, and no matter how frequently I stretch my psoas and do bridges to try and get the glutes firing (among other stretches), I can't seem to get any improvement. I actually have a posture beyond just APT referred to as "open scissors": APT + Flared ribs. Makes for a sexy bloated looking mid-section for sure.

Edit: Following up on this thought -- Lyle, or anyone, do you have any solid recommendations for website with stretching specific to APT? I've gone through a ton and most give the same info. Strengthen glutes, hams, abs, stretch quads, psoas, erectors. Hamstrings shouldn't be stretched, they feel tight, but that's because they're lengthened from the APT, not because they're inflexible. etc etc.

I follow all the advice to no avail. Stretched & foam rolled every day for 3 or 4 months.

Last edited by Druboutin : 08-15-2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: website recommendations
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Start a new thread at this point.
Unread 08-17-2014, 05:53 AM

Figure I would throw my question in...If my description is not good enough perhaps I'll get a video.

A little background might be useful: I just got back into squatting and haven't done squats in many years because of a low back injury (ended up getting surgery on L5-s1) and the sciatic nerve in my right leg was hurt for a while. To this day I still have low back soreness but nothing debilitating.

My question is when I'm squatting coming out of the hole it looks like my butt swings to the right when I'm looking in the mirror. Doesn't take much weight for me to do this either. Only about 95 pounds. I'm trying to correct form perfect before I move up any weight at all.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Realistically, with that injury you probably shouldn't squat.
Unread 12-22-2015, 05:53 AM

Lyle, I'm currently implementing a similar routine for rehab, and found this article interesting.

I've had an MRI (I have a diagnosis), have been through PT, and I am currently rehabbing on my own. I have a similar issue as your client, only my left glute won't fire.

I wasn't squatting previously, but I was leg pressing. I was just curious how you had her set up on the leg press (feet high/low, wide stance/narrow stance, focus on pushing the knees out)?

For me to personally get good depth on the squat, I have to point toes outward with a wide stance and focus on pushing my knees out, with a decent arch in my back. This really hits my glutes.

I tried to mimic this yesterday on the leg press and find my depth is a bit excessive and my feet feel too wide, doesn't really feel the same. My low back doesn't come off the pad, but it feels weird (I'm very flexible now after months of stretching during rehab).

I used the glute bridge with the belt prior to the leg press (I can REALLY feel both glutes with this exercise) but it didn't seem to help. It did however help the left glute fire during step-ups. Maybe wear the belt on my knees during leg press?