BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > Articles on the Main Site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-06-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugsaredrugs View Post
Thats been disucssed before, nothing wrong with that at all, may even be superior for certain reasons that have also been discussed. Theres no reason training has to fit into a 7 day schedule, other than practical reasons of getting to the gym and society and all that. If your schedule lets you, theres no good reason not to.

Thanks!
Unread 02-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Would the volume change at all on the 4 day per week Pull/Push/Legs rotation?
Unread 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM

Volume and frequency have an inverse relationship.
Unread 03-13-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
Volume and frequency have an inverse relationship.
Yeah that makes sense. So in regards to the 4 day per week Pull/Push/Legs rotation referenced in part 2 of the article (which would be hitting each muscle group every 4-6 days), would the same 60 rep total recommendation still be applicable or would the rep total go near 70-80 per workout?
Unread 03-13-2016, 11:47 AM

7-10 sets for large/primary muscle groups, less for small/overlapped ones. With typical rep ranges, this will put reps around 60 or perhaps higher, depending on the specifics.

I happen to be doing that exact split and with intelligent programming and accounting for overlap, the pull and especially push days are really not that bad. For leg days I would typically only work one muscle group (quads, hamstrings, or calves) at the full volume and maintain the others with a few sets apiece. Throw in some token core work and I'm out of there. That's obviously not the only way to approach things but it works for my schedule and recuperative ability.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 03-13-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Unread 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM

Don't change volume,just spread it across workouts differently.
Unread 11-23-2016, 07:00 AM

Default Superset Delts?

It's pretty clear you can superset Bench and Row, bicep and tricep, but if delt raise and lateral raise are both shoulders, can you superset those?
Unread 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBettor View Post
7-10 sets for large/primary muscle groups, less for small/overlapped ones. With typical rep ranges, this will put reps around 60 or perhaps higher, depending on the specifics.

I happen to be doing that exact split and with intelligent programming and accounting for overlap, the pull and especially push days are really not that bad. For leg days I would typically only work one muscle group (quads, hamstrings, or calves) at the full volume and maintain the others with a few sets apiece. Throw in some token core work and I'm out of there. That's obviously not the only way to approach things but it works for my schedule and recuperative ability.
Bump

I have a somewhat different opinion on this now. The original 7-10 sets recommendation works fine for individual muscle groups, but add it all up, and it tends to be more work than I'm willing to do (even on a 4x/week PPL type setup)

More realistically, I tend to do more like 4-8 sets for primary muscle groups. Cut that in half for smaller/overlapped/lower priority stuff.

For the leg workouts, I tend to do a more even distribution of work than what is described above, but in the lower end of the range. Call it personal preference.

I really like the PPL setup, but others are good too. Different splits have different strengths and weaknesses and there's little reason to only use one. I also work in specialization training as needed/desired. I'd rather use that sort of 'strategic' approach than to try to push the volume too much across the board.