BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Maybe one of these, maybe both. I'm going to tell the doctor everything about my life style and diet (not that he already doesn't know), and go with his recommendation. I'm 33, and at 26 my levels were 627. I'm not sure putting on 10 pounds will make my test levels go up over 300.

I also have varicoceles in both testicles which can cause low T, this is why I was tested back in 2008. I also have high cholesterol in my family, and dropping the last 10 - 20 pounds improved that dramatically (I've always eaten a healthy diet).

Bottomline, those testosterone levels are way too low, and I'm symptomatic. Whatever route they suggest, I'll take.
I hope it works out well for you. Good luck.
Unread 01-17-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrogena View Post
But does setpoint dictate where exactly that "U" is? If someone's setpoint is 40% bodyfat, would maintaining 15% for them be "too lean," just as a naturally 15% individual maintaining 5% is "too lean"?
It'd be a special snowflake if an adult had a true set-point at 40% body fat.

When thinking of set-point, it's important not to look at it when a person is in the midst of dieting but rather when the person is at maintenance. A person that's dieted down to 40% body fat from 50 or 60% body fat might experience some of the negative aspects of dieting but that'll disappear with calories being put back to or slightly above maintenance.

Also, being hungry isn't evidence that a person is below their set-point. The evidence is vanished libido, ED, feeling cold all the time and for a true objective measure, waking inner ear temp. I have no doubts that there are people out there that have set-points at >20% but as noted they are few and far between just as their are people that have set-points at <10%.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 01-19-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjack View Post
I hope it works out well for you. Good luck.
Oops, I missed this.

Thank you for the well wishes. We'll see what happens this week.
Unread 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The timing of this thread is interesting.

Most of my adult life I have been between 170 - 180ish at 5'9", and have been as high as 203. Three years ago at 185 lbs. I made a concerted effort to slowly lean out and maintain that. I've been at 158 - 160ish for a year now, but I've been in the low 160s for even longer. For reference, the photo in my avatar is two years ago, and I was ~168 lbs.

I regularly get checked for diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid (it's in my family) and I also had my testosterone checked.

My hospital lists the healthy range for testosterone as 280 to 800 ng/dL. Mine is 191.

Their range for free T is 60 - 185 pg/mL. Mine is 27.
Just as a follow-up to this, I visited my doctor a week ago after the second blood test...

We discussed various treatments depending on the outcome of the blood test during my first visit.

He brought up Clomiphene I believe, if LH was off, and he suggested Bromocriptine if Prolactin was off. Otherwise, he highly recommended TRT. He said he had even done a study with another doctor (at Harvard I believe) looking into the risks of prostate cancer and TRT.

He feels it's a safe therapy, and the reward outweighs the risks from having low testosterone (osteoperosis...etc.). I'm also meeting with an endocrinologist to go over treatment and causes.

All results from the second test were normal including LH and Prolactin. Clomiphene may still be an option as opposed to injections based on LH being low-normal.

Test levels were actually worse, but I don't think it matters much at this point. < 200 is low regardless. I'm scheduled to see an endocrinologist in March, so we'll see what happens then.

Testosterone was 158 ng/dL (range was 280 - 800)
Calc FT was 20 pg/mL (range was 60 - 185)
SHGB was 56 nmol/L (range was 14 - 48)
Unread 01-28-2016, 02:25 PM

My doctor was stunned at my recent bloods. Granted, i had just finished a dumbass prohormone cycle which f*** me sideways. I used clomid for 30 days and ran bloods 15 days into PCT. My test was nearly rock bottom, but what was odd was that my LH and SFH were in amazing condition. I don't know what that indicates.
Unread 01-28-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Just as a follow-up to this, I visited my doctor a week ago after the second blood test...

We discussed various treatments depending on the outcome of the blood test during my first visit.

He brought up Clomiphene I believe, if LH was off, and he suggested Bromocriptine if Prolactin was off. Otherwise, he highly recommended TRT. He said he had even done a study with another doctor (at Harvard I believe) looking into the risks of prostate cancer and TRT.

He feels it's a safe therapy, and the reward outweighs the risks from having low testosterone (osteoperosis...etc.). I'm also meeting with an endocrinologist to go over treatment and causes.

All results from the second test were normal including LH and Prolactin. Clomiphene may still be an option as opposed to injections based on LH being low-normal.

Test levels were actually worse, but I don't think it matters much at this point. < 200 is low regardless. I'm scheduled to see an endocrinologist in March, so we'll see what happens then.

Testosterone was 158 ng/dL (range was 280 - 800)
Calc FT was 20 pg/mL (range was 60 - 185)
SHGB was 56 nmol/L (range was 14 - 48)
Have you had your E2 checked? And what were your LH and FSH numbers? That SHBG is concerning in of itself and a couple drugs can knock that down (proviron and danazol) but those are also not usually good for test production. If your E2 is elevated, an AI like exemestane might be a good option as exemestane will knock down SHBG, E2 and can increase test by 100%. These are all kind of "half" measures as opposed going on full on TRT but it's something to consider.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 01-29-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
Have you had your E2 checked? And what were your LH and FSH numbers? That SHBG is concerning in of itself and a couple drugs can knock that down (proviron and danazol) but those are also not usually good for test production. If your E2 is elevated, an AI like exemestane might be a good option as exemestane will knock down SHBG, E2 and can increase test by 100%. These are all kind of "half" measures as opposed going on full on TRT but it's something to consider.
It doesn't look like my E2 was checked, unless I'm missing it and it's labeled something that doesn't specifically say "E2" or "Estradiol".

LH was 3.7 (range was 2 - 10 mIU/mL). FSH was not tested either unfortunately. I would have liked to have had my cortisol checked as well.

I'm totally fine with half measures. I even grilled him repeatedly on whether or not I can simply just put on more weight, and if my diet/lifestyle has done this. He didn't think so, I'm still a healthy weight, and my testosterone levels aren't even in the grey area he said for treatment being needed. Again, I'll see what the endocrinologist says, and I assume there will be more blood work.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Unread 01-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
It doesn't look like my E2 was checked, unless I'm missing it and it's labeled something that doesn't specifically say "E2" or "Estradiol".

LH was 3.7 (range was 2 - 10 mIU/mL). FSH was not tested either unfortunately. I would have liked to have had my cortisol checked as well.

I'm totally fine with half measures. I even grilled him repeatedly on whether or not I can simply just put on more weight, and if my diet/lifestyle has done this. He didn't think so, I'm still a healthy weight, and my testosterone levels aren't even in the grey area he said for treatment being needed. Again, I'll see what the endocrinologist says, and I assume there will be more blood work.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
Gotcha. The LH isn't too low. With how low your test is though, I'd be shocked if E2 is high. My hunch is TRT is probably the best option for you.

- Louis C. K.
Unread 01-29-2016, 09:08 PM

I notice that whenever I allow my Body fat get to my setpoint(roughly 16%) my libido is maxed out and it never seems to be as strong when I'm lower.
Unread 06-15-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
It's actually an incredibly good question. By continuously fighting against the body fat level that the body is driving you towards, is your endocrine system affected?
Quote:
I met with the endocrinologist today.

With an increase in total testosterone, and a high SHBG and low estrogen number, he asked about my diet. He suggested I start eating more, as having low body fat can cause both of these numbers to skew high/low. This could allow my free T to increase, along with my estrogen, both of which will help increase my libido and help me feel better.

He's keeping me on a 3x/week Clomid dose, and I have a follow-up in three months. He said it's up to me if I want to eat more, and the it's choice between being lower body fat/thin, and possibly having an increased free T/estrogen number which will help me feel better.

I am quite lean, and have been for awhile now. This is definitely not where I sit naturally either, and it is entirely possibly a restrictive diet is still causing issues. My gut instinct at this point is to slowly raise calories/gain weight and see how I feel. I was suspicious this was the cause from the beginning, and questioned it six months ago.
I remembered this thread, and how it started. Quoted above is from the results of my two month follow-up. I am currently trying to put on weight (maybe 5 - 10 lbs.) over the course of the summer before my three month follow-up and see if this corrects everything (or at least improves them).