BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned

Arrow Lost 42 kg (92.6 lbs), how do I proceed?

This being my first post I feel the need to say I admire Lyle McDonald and his work, very much!

Now, a long story short, I'm 184 cm tall, was obese at 114 kg (251 lbs) and I've lost 42 kg (92.6 lbs) with a fairly aggressive deficit. I've also made strength gains that I'm very satisfied with.

Weight loss progress:

June 1, 2016: 114.0 kg (251 lbs) [approx. 35-40% bf]
September 26, 2016: 93.5 kg (206 lbs)
October 31, 2016: 87.5 kg (193 lbs)
November 21, 2016: 83.8 kg (185 lbs)
December 26, 2016: 78.1 kg (172 lbs)
February 6, 2017: 72.0 kg (159 lbs) [approx. 15% bf]

A "before" and "after" can be seen here: http://imgur.com/a/tWndz

My questions:

1.) How much more should I lose? Mentally I'm tired of it, but physically I feel great. I'd love to reach 10% but I'm afraid I don't have enough muscle mass for that to be worth it.

2.) Since I'm planning an eventual slow bulk aiming for only about 1 kg weight gain per month, how long would I need to stay at maintenance prior to this bulk? I've read Lyle's page about the various transition phases, and he talks about 2-4 weeks. My worries however, since I've been at this for so long, whether it'd be necessary to stay longer than 4 weeks?

If I could get some input it'd be much appreciated.
Unread 02-11-2017, 02:52 PM

I have no advice but holy cow that's a big difference.

I am the same height and I was the same weight as you in June 2016.

I have the same plan as you (to get to ~10% bf and then start bulking) so I am going to be paying attention to this thread.

For the same time period, I have been kicking butt, and yet you are 30+ lbs lighter than me today. I know I've really been doing my best this whole time, but it's amazing to find out that I could have done better.

I am continually inspired by people on this forum who kick butt at this game. It helps me up my game.

Very helpful to have people on this forum as a frame of reference. Rather than the people in life who never seem to get it together.
Unread 02-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Holy I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post.I need to read the rules post., what a change... congratulations to you sir!
How high was your deficit for this fast and drastic of a change? Did you follow any of Lyle's diets?
Unread 02-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkord View Post
How high was your deficit for this fast and drastic of a change?
It was pretty aggressive, around 1000 kcal deficit, basically always aiming for 1 kg weight loss per week, which sometimes resulted in even more than 1 kg.

In certain instances I'd be in a smaller deficit, but I would try to make up for it through physical activity.

My cut started exactly on June 6th last year, by the way.

Quote:
Did you follow any of Lyle's diets?
No, because I learned about Lyle many months after I started dieting, so I just wanted to continue with my own thing because it was working for me. But I really enjoy reading everything he writes, and I love the concept behind his Ultimate Diet 2.0.

Speaking of him, I'd absolutely love it if he could contribute to this thread and give me his thoughts on my situation.
Unread 02-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
I have no advice but holy cow that's a big difference.

I am the same height and I was the same weight as you in June 2016.

I have the same plan as you (to get to ~10% bf and then start bulking) so I am going to be paying attention to this thread.

For the same time period, I have been kicking butt, and yet you are 30+ lbs lighter than me today. I know I've really been doing my best this whole time, but it's amazing to find out that I could have done better.

I am continually inspired by people on this forum who kick butt at this game. It helps me up my game.

Very helpful to have people on this forum as a frame of reference. Rather than the people in life who never seem to get it together.
Thank you and I wish you good luck.

You can ask whatever interests you, either through PM or in this thread.
Unread 02-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Impressive transformation.

Eight months is a long time to diet. If you're mentally tired of it then take a break. Eat at maintenance for a while (keep training) and do it as long as it takes to get your mind right and get your motivation back. You have a long time to do this... there's no need to rush it and burn yourself out.
Unread 02-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

Thank you, Alphabettor.

For what it's worth, I'm still losing fat and will weigh myself on March 6th, which should be near the end of my journey. Changes are noticeable in the mirror.

I'm thinking since I'm so close, I might as well finish this cut.

And I'm still hoping Lyle could chime in and help me out with those two questions I posted in my original post. Especially question #2.
Unread 02-18-2017, 03:14 AM

Take a 4 week break before you bulk, just to be sure. Normally, after 2 weeks maintenance your hormones should be stabilized.
Unread 02-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Take a 4 week break before you bulk, just to be sure. Normally, after 2 weeks maintenance your hormones should be stabilized.
Thanks. I was thinking 4 - 5 weeks.

Perhaps Lyle could contribute something. Still hoping.
Unread 02-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorich View Post
Thanks. I was thinking 4 - 5 weeks.

Perhaps Lyle could contribute something. Still hoping.
Just let it go...

He has written a lot about taking a diet break, often for two weeks, and this would be a good time to take one. Due to the amount of time you dieted, the amount of weight lost, and that you say you are mentally tired of it suggests that you could probably go longer. Will four weeks be enough? Well, try it and find out. My guess is that it will be.

This will also give you some more time to do more research and think about what direction you want to take your training.

edit: I missed one of your other posts. If you want to go for another couple weeks and you physically feel fine, and can grind it out mentally, that is ok too. It's hard to plan these things out perfectly in advance.

Last edited by AlphaBettor : 02-20-2017 at 04:39 PM.