BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-18-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Alcohol on a Bulk

Before we get ahead of ourselves here, I understand that alcohol is terrible for gainz and should be avoided at all costs.

That being said, I like having a social life and unfortunately my age group's social life revolves around drinking. I have done well drinking on a cut so far. Basically, I perform a PSMF and a bit of cardio the day I am going to drink to create quite a large calorie deficit. I stick to clear liquors mixed with diet soda or Michelob Ultra (low calories for the alcohol content, srsly look it up). Usually, I end up the next morning looking my most shredded, but that's beside the point of this thread.

Suppose I want to fit alcohol into a bulk. I understand I need calories to grow, and I understand that alcohol calories are burned while any excess from fats/proteins/carbs are stored. Assuming I was going to drink a decent amount of alcohol (say 8 or so standard drinks), what would be the best timing for this, and what would be an appropriate dietary protocol to follow the day of?

I'm just spit-balling here, but here is the protocol I would follow based on my understanding of how alcohol works:

PSMF the day of, make sure to really jack that protein up. Closer to 2g/lb LBM. Fish oil, multivitamin and the like.
Preferentially, the drinking should fall on a rest day so as not to inhibit MPS immediately after a lift.
If heavy drinking, try not to do it the day before a lifting session to avoid being hung over.

Anyone have a protocol they like to use on drinking days? The goal of my next bulk will be to minimize fat gain, so that's why I say PSMF the day of instead of simply subtracting the expected amount of alcohol calories I will consume from my fat and carb allotment.
Unread 07-18-2017, 10:05 PM

Basically alcohol completely stops protein synthesis. So you NEVER want to drink after a workout. I'd try to push that window to about 30 hours if possible.

Alcohol impairs sleep and recovery and lowers testosterone levels. So if I'm doing a M,W,F routine obviously Tues and Thurs aren't the BEST days to drink.

Saturday is the best day because I have already synthesized protein and I have two off days for recovery. Sunday is the 2nd. best day.

You are going to want to basically do the PSMF the day of the drinking. Get your protein in early. I like to smash a few complex carbs right before the drinking otherwise I'll eat like crazy after the drinking. And try to have more complex carbs on hand for after drinking. Try to eat no fats or sugars because it's gonna store.

Stay away from the mixers and the heavy beers. Vodka/soda, rum/diet, or whiskey. Or lite beers are your best options. The dryer the wine the better if you are going that route

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.

Last edited by BEATMEOUTTAME : 07-18-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: A
Unread 07-18-2017, 11:52 PM

As long as you can hit the calorie targets and don't do it too frequently, it shouldn't be much of an issue. If hungover in the morning, go to the gym in the evening. In my experience, alcohol calories are weird because they just seem to disappear. You could try eating at maintenance and let the calories from the drinks make up the surplus for the week. Also, an extra day of unexpected rest doesn't seem to have any ill effects, so you can be more flexible as to how frequently you go the gym.
Unread 07-19-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Basically alcohol completely stops protein synthesis. So you NEVER want to drink after a workout. I'd try to push that window to about 30 hours if possible.
Ignore the above. It's neurotic rubbish.

Aside from that, studies of actual alcoholics without chronic alcoholic myopathy showed they had the same amount of LBM as non drinkers (and as I recall, lower body fat percentages).

It may have some sort of negative effect on protein synthesis in healthy weight lifting populations, but this is not proven and I HIGHLY doubt the effect is anything significant. Certainly, almost every big guy I've ever personally known in the gym also tend to party quite hard and drink a lot, and no, they don't make sure to keep that far away from weight training.

Ignore the rubbish, and just train.

Last edited by BigPecsPeter : 07-19-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Ignore the above. It's neurotic rubbish.

Aside from that, studies of actual alcoholics without chronic alcoholic myopathy showed they had the same amount of LBM as non drinkers (and as I recall, lower body fat percentages).

It may have some sort of negative effect on protein synthesis in healthy weight lifting populations, but this is not proven and I HIGHLY doubt the effect is anything significant. Certainly, almost every big guy I've ever personally known in the gym also tend to party quite hard and drink a lot, and no, they don't make sure to keep that far away from weight training.

Ignore the rubbish, and just train.
My thoughts reflect bpp's, esp the bolded part.
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post

Alcohol impairs sleep and recovery and lowers testosterone levels. So if I'm doing a M,W,F routine obviously Tues and Thurs aren't the BEST days to drink.

Saturday is the best day because I have already synthesized protein and I have two off days for recovery. Sunday is the 2nd. best day.

You are going to want to basically do the PSMF the day of the drinking. Get your protein in early. I like to smash a few complex carbs right before the drinking otherwise I'll eat like crazy after the drinking. And try to have more complex carbs on hand for after drinking. Try to eat no fats or sugars because it's gonna store.

Stay away from the mixers and the heavy beers. Vodka/soda, rum/diet, or whiskey. Or lite beers are your best options. The dryer the wine the better if you are going that route
Exhibit A for majoring in the minors.
Unread 07-19-2017, 09:58 AM

There was a period in my life when I was regularly boozing but also training hard. I made good gains, just made sure to time it so I wasn't going into a training session hung over - b/c it had an impact on the quality of my workout.

That was actually a pretty fun time - didn't know anything about nutrition other than 1g protein per lb LBM, so I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted, lifted hard, made gains, also gained fat. Didn't care.
Unread 07-19-2017, 10:20 AM

Not sure if this is relevant but awhile back I found this:

Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...206648A.f01t01

Postresistance exercise ethanol ingestion and acute testosterone bioavailability.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Do you drink because of group pressure or to perform better socially? For the latter, you can use phenibut as well (with care).
Unread 07-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Do you drink because of group pressure or to perform better socially? For the latter, you can use phenibut as well (with care).
Is there a difference?

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates