BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Ignore the above. It's neurotic rubbish.

Aside from that, studies of actual alcoholics without chronic alcoholic myopathy showed they had the same amount of LBM as non drinkers (and as I recall, lower body fat percentages).

It may have some sort of negative effect on protein synthesis in healthy weight lifting populations, but this is not proven and I HIGHLY doubt the effect is anything significant. Certainly, almost every big guy I've ever personally known in the gym also tend to party quite hard and drink a lot, and no, they don't make sure to keep that far away from weight training.

Ignore the rubbish, and just train.
Yup, pretty much all this.

Take it from someone who got fairly lean drinking about ~15ish drinks per week (craft beer, so heavy on carbs), with one day being in the 8 - 10 beer range.

Then when my testosterone tanked I added muscle and increased testosterone four times what it had been previously, drinking double that, with plenty of weight training around the days I was drinking.

Most importantly, if you're being that strict with food while drinking, and it's lower calorie drinks, 8 drinks are only going to be about 800ish calories. Hardly anything to fret about, especially on a bulk.

Drink up!
Unread 07-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Do you drink because of group pressure or to perform better socially? For the latter, you can use phenibut as well (with care).
Might have to check that out. You just feel "out of place" so - to - speak at the venues I usually find myself at if you are completely sober.
Unread 07-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuetej View Post
Yup, pretty much all this.

Take it from someone who got fairly lean drinking about ~15ish drinks per week (craft beer, so heavy on carbs), with one day being in the 8 - 10 beer range.

Then when my testosterone tanked I added muscle and increased testosterone four times what it had been previously, drinking double that, with plenty of weight training around the days I was drinking.

Most importantly, if you're being that strict with food while drinking, and it's lower calorie drinks, 8 drinks are only going to be about 800ish calories. Hardly anything to fret about, especially on a bulk.

Drink up!
This is 1/3 of my daily maintenance though. It's really quite a substantial amount of calories for me. PSMF + 8 drinks puts me at maintenance if I do not include any cardio. And to be honest, "8 drinks" sometimes becomes 12+ drinks when you start to lose count.
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
Not sure if this is relevant but awhile back I found this:

Testosterone Increases in Men After a Low Dose of Alcohol
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...206648A.f01t01

Postresistance exercise ethanol ingestion and acute testosterone bioavailability.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309
I've had some of my best workouts the day following a moderate drinking night (couple of beers, nothing too heavy). Just felt I have a bigger strength pull.
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysiologyIsPhun View Post
This is 1/3 of my daily maintenance though. It's really quite a substantial amount of calories for me. PSMF + 8 drinks puts me at maintenance if I do not include any cardio. And to be honest, "8 drinks" sometimes becomes 12+ drinks when you start to lose count.
I know he sort of got lost in the internet world, but Berkhan had a nice little method for what to do on those nights where you have to drink a lot.

Anyway, what I said earlier still goes: don't worry about it too much
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:22 PM

Yeah, his article is essentially what I based my "recommendations" on. The link is here for any interested: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/tru...nd-muscle.html

The article was written primarily with a fat loss focus in mind. I wondered if the great minds of this forum had any other recommendations for those trying to gain mass and maintain their weekend alcoholism

Thanks for all the responses guys. These are the discussions we need to be having
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1cked View Post
Exhibit A for majoring in the minors.
I typically drank ~100 drinks a week so I wouldn't consider any of the above advice minor.

I thought alcohol converting to acetate would stop protein synthesis in its tracks? If I'm wrong about that okay. The rest is valid I believe

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 07-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Do you drink because of group pressure or to perform better socially? For the latter, you can use phenibut as well (with care).
Ugh this stuff makes me feel like crap. It definitely gives you that talkative sensation like a mild mdma or amphetamine. But you build tolerance really quickly and I had to use way too much. Side effects were no Bueno for me and I use yohimbine, ephedrine, and have experimented with virtually every combination of Ilegal drugs.

If you go with phenibut definitely read up carefully on the dosing.

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=23215

Thank you Lyle. This website is a game changer once you understand the mechanisms behind fat loss/muscle gain.

Spun my wheels for years prior to finding this site.
Unread 07-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
Basically alcohol completely stops protein synthesis. So you NEVER want to drink after a workout. I'd try to push that window to about 30 hours if possible.

Alcohol impairs sleep and recovery and lowers testosterone levels. So if I'm doing a M,W,F routine obviously Tues and Thurs aren't the BEST days to drink.

Saturday is the best day because I have already synthesized protein and I have two off days for recovery. Sunday is the 2nd. best day.

You are going to want to basically do the PSMF the day of the drinking. Get your protein in early. I like to smash a few complex carbs right before the drinking otherwise I'll eat like crazy after the drinking. And try to have more complex carbs on hand for after drinking. Try to eat no fats or sugars because it's gonna store.

Stay away from the mixers and the heavy beers. Vodka/soda, rum/diet, or whiskey. Or lite beers are your best options. The dryer the wine the better if you are going that route
wat
Unread 07-19-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEATMEOUTTAME View Post
I typically drank ~100 drinks a week so I wouldn't consider any of the above advice minor.

I thought alcohol converting to acetate would stop protein synthesis in its tracks? If I'm wrong about that okay.
You were wrong about everything, and basically have no idea about the physiology of this topic whatsoever other than some silly claims you've read on the internet. Just stop, before you say anything even sillier