BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-23-2017, 08:05 AM

I'm Turkish and i feel your pain.

Breakfast? Rice

Lunch? Rice

Dinner? Rice

Diagnosed with a disease? Rice
Unread 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM

Good luck with this. I don't think there's any easy way to deal with it. I would definitely NOT make her weigh and measure stuff for you. That sounds like a bunch of arguments.

Maybe the best solution is just to eat what everybody else eats but to have smaller portions. I'm not Turkish, but when I visited family recently everybody kept saying how skinny I was and how starving yourself isn't healthy . And this was after telling them that I just found out I'm type 2 diabetic and need to take it easy on carbs.

What are your goals? I don't think you need to be super precise about stuff just to get to an acceptable bf %.
Unread 07-23-2017, 10:41 AM

Ok this is making me hungry for Turkish food, which I've never had... can you post/ get an authentic Turkish recipie that your wife makes. Maybe a link or somthing.. recipies online all claim authenticity. I want to see what's going on with this food lol

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 07-23-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertCleverNameHere View Post
Good luck with this. I don't think there's any easy way to deal with it. I would definitely NOT make her weigh and measure stuff for you. That sounds like a bunch of arguments.

Maybe the best solution is just to eat what everybody else eats but to have smaller portions. I'm not Turkish, but when I visited family recently everybody kept saying how skinny I was and how starving yourself isn't healthy . And this was after telling them that I just found out I'm type 2 diabetic and need to take it easy on carbs.

What are your goals? I don't think you need to be super precise about stuff just to get to an acceptable bf %.
In my book I don't think it's too much to ask that my wife measures out ingredients when making anything for me, at least the big stuff. It's part of being a good cook, it's more to do about consistency. And as far as precision goes a scale is the most precise and even then your macro and cal count can have a large margin of error. You get less precise using measuring cups/spoons. And then "eyeballing" might be acceptable on the fly or at a restaurant but the margin of error can be so huge that it's questionable whether it's of much value when counting anything. The reason why you would use more "precise measurements is to be more consistent, it's harder to be off by a margin that sacrifices efforts when your weighing somthing.

Asking your wife to hand you a recipie that she followed with due diligence I think is totally fair, but obviously that's between you and your spouse. In my house it's a little courtesy to each others hobbies, I don't make her use the scale if she doesn't want to, I ask if I can weigh out the stuff that matters like oils, protein, carbs. If for some reason those don't happen I at least ask her to use the measuring cups and spoons.
I don't mind being a little firm about it, look at our society.. nearly everyone has metabolic disease, it's not like we just do this to look good naked, there's a very real epidemic that's at the door step, measuring out the ingredients is a first step to knowledge on mitigating the start/spread of it in your family.

Edit i told my wife about this question, she says what helps her and she likes the most is that we make dinner together.. if that's a possibility for you give it a try

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 07-23-2017, 11:36 AM

Unfortunately a lot of times the two cannot coexist well. I've been bodybuilding for nearly 14 years since I was a young kid. All my friends I grew up with know this and know when I'm contest dieting--so they know the rules, lol. Don't feed me!

They know I will sit in the house during prep and refuse social events or if I come out I will bring my own food. On the relationship side of things, I tend to only date other bodybuilders who are just as focused/intense as I am. I have tried dating those outside the fitness circle and they simply don't understand why staying on a diet is such a priority. "Lets go out for drinks! We can't go out to dinner every night this week? Lets get cheese fries after the bar tonight!" I have informed those in my life how important it is to me to live this lifestyle so counting calories on my Excel spreadsheet & weighing foods is second nature & they know it will happen and respect my choices.

Perhaps educating your wife on the importance of dieting & calorie consciousness will help her see why its important to you. Right now it seems like she is looking at it like you are refusing her food and not appreciating her meals. If she looks at it like you're not refusing her food--you are instead making yourself look sexier for her & improving your health to be around for her longer--perhaps her mind will shift and she can be more accommodating to your meal choices. Offer to help her in the kitchen and weigh & measure your own food. Perhaps she would enjoy not having to be in the kitchen all the time cooking superstar meals and maybe save those for the weekend meals only? Tell her she deserves a break in the kitchen and encourage her to do a hobby/take some downtime. Its your body and you have to do what is best for you. You're not forcing her to diet too... just encouraging a move in a healthier direction for the family.
Unread 07-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadQueen View Post
Unfortunately a lot of times the two cannot coexist well. I've been bodybuilding for nearly 14 years since I was a young kid. All my friends I grew up with know this and know when I'm contest dieting--so they know the rules, lol. Don't feed me!

They know I will sit in the house during prep and refuse social events or if I come out I will bring my own food. On the relationship side of things, I tend to only date other bodybuilders who are just as focused/intense as I am. I have tried dating those outside the fitness circle and they simply don't understand why staying on a diet is such a priority. "Lets go out for drinks! We can't go out to dinner every night this week? Lets get cheese fries after the bar tonight!" I have informed those in my life how important it is to me to live this lifestyle so counting calories on my Excel spreadsheet & weighing foods is second nature & they know it will happen and respect my choices.

Perhaps educating your wife on the importance of dieting & calorie consciousness will help her see why its important to you. Right now it seems like she is looking at it like you are refusing her food and not appreciating her meals. If she looks at it like you're not refusing her food--you are instead making yourself look sexier for her & improving your health to be around for her longer--perhaps her mind will shift and she can be more accommodating to your meal choices. Offer to help her in the kitchen and weigh & measure your own food. Perhaps she would enjoy not having to be in the kitchen all the time cooking superstar meals and maybe save those for the weekend meals only? Tell her she deserves a break in the kitchen and encourage her to do a hobby/take some downtime. Its your body and you have to do what is best for you. You're not forcing her to diet too... just encouraging a move in a healthier direction for the family.
Ignore all the above.

Anybody who wants a happier more fulfilling existence, stop being neurotic about all this crap and just eat in a normal way in social contexts. You can succeed in spite of how you eat with your wife, for goodness sake. You can adjust and tailor your caloric intake at other times of the day.

Enjoy your damn marriage, and stop the sort of anal neurosis exhibited in some of the posts here
Unread 07-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPecsPeter View Post
Ignore all the above.

Anybody who wants a happier more fulfilling existence, stop being neurotic about all this crap and just eat in a normal way in social contexts. You can succeed in spite of how you eat with your wife, for goodness sake. You can adjust and tailor your caloric intake at other times of the day.

Enjoy your damn marriage, and stop the sort of anal neurosis exhibited in some of the posts here

He doesn't have to be as extreme as me. He is not preparing to compete again on an IFBB Pro stage. I didn't realize he was asking about having a happy more fulfilling existence? I thought he asked how to integrate his family life into dieting life in which educating his wife on the benefits of calorie consciousness and helping her out in the kitchen would work Most people would indeed do well with a more moderate approach and that's totally cool. I'm not suggesting he sit in the house and be a total freak, hahaha.
Unread 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM

Agree with Peter. Some of these accounts are just weird and extremely neurotic. They are very obsessive and imo, you don't need to be that obsessive to achieve your goals.

For people with family life:
1) Do GBR for routine or a beginner 5x5. Workouts arn't crazy long. I spend about 3-4 hours a week in the gym, which should be completely doable by anyone.
2)Fast all day, eat dinner w family then focus the rest of food on lining up with your diet. If you are low carb stick to lower carb options during dinner then maybe have some meat or cheese after dinner to hit your macro goals.
3) Most importantly: Calm down. Every single piece of your diet doesn't need to be perfect to get results. Stress just makes your diet harder. Focus on doing the best you can, maintaining a calorie deficit/surplus, getting your workouts in and go from there.

Will it take a couple days or a week more to achieve your goals? Sure, but you will have a more relaxed and more inclusive time doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
Also I know this sounds crazy but when I go to a restaurant I take a small food scale and keep it in my wife's purse.. my friends and family usually admire my commitment and know that this is what it takes to keep a chiseled physique.
Also one thing that people understand is if you are participating in a physique competition. People will tolerate anything when you tell them that.. they will watch all your "silliness/obsessive" behavior in awe like they are watching some reality tv show about bodybuilders prep for contest, most people are pretty interested not annoyed.
I agree with your other things but this part is weird man. I completely understand why you get this way but do understand everyone around you sees it as weird. Whether you care or not is up to you but nobody is watching you in awe.

I say this only because I've been there before as well as seen other people do it. I'm glad people called me on it and told me it was weird. It borders on an eating disorder or food OCD.
Unread 07-24-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Agree with Peter. Some of these accounts are just weird and extremely neurotic. They are very obsessive and imo, you don't need to be that obsessive to achieve your goals.

For people with family life:

Fast all day, eat dinner w family then focus the rest of food on lining up with your diet. If you are low carb stick to lower carb options during dinner then maybe have some meat or cheese after dinner to hit your macro goals.

I believe that fasting all day to have a flexible dinner with the family is as obsessive as it gets. he can get away with much more than just a dinner "Easily", not to mention the small advantage of spreading the caloric/protein intake on multiple meals in terms of muscle perservation or building.

Last edited by abdii : 07-24-2017 at 03:37 AM.
Unread 07-24-2017, 04:25 AM

Yeah what's with all the IF propaganda

Way I see IF is a cover up for an eating disorder. Like you can't be satisfied unless you get a chance everyday to stuff as much food down your neck as you can in one sitting

Also physique goals does not always mean energy deficit. If you actually want to have any muscles you're going to need to spend most of your time in a small surplus

Try using IF when you get 3500 cals to eat.

Last edited by Hectic : 07-24-2017 at 04:35 AM.