BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-24-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Yeah what's with all the IF propaganda

Way I see IF is a cover up for an eating disorder.

Also physique goals does not always mean energy deficit. If you actually want to have any muscles you're going to need to spend most of your time in a small surplus

Try using IF when you get 3500 cals to eat.
Well, since the number of calories of diner is probably excessive and there is little to no control over it, IF is a valid tool. It actually provides a way to be flexible without any negative consequences (becoming fat).
Unread 07-24-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Determinism View Post
Well, since the number of calories of diner is probably excessive and there is little to no control over it, IF is a valid tool. It actually provides a way to be flexible without any negative consequences (becoming fat).
This. IF allows a lot of flexibility. Calling IF an excuse to binge is short sighted and sounds like people have never done it before.
Unread 07-24-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Yeah what's with all the IF propaganda

Way I see IF is a cover up for an eating disorder. Like you can't be satisfied unless you get a chance everyday to stuff as much food down your neck as you can in one sitting

Also physique goals does not always mean energy deficit. If you actually want to have any muscles you're going to need to spend most of your time in a small surplus

Try using IF when you get 3500 cals to eat.
i can eat more than that even with bro foods chicken rice brocolli oats etc
Unread 07-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Who was that guy who had a strange almost sinister obsession with cheesecakes?
Unread 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Interesting thread for sure.

"Family" and "job" are two major variables that often screw me up and I always wonder if the people who post here are single and in school. Real life has a way of messing up fitness goals for sure.

As for family and my situation, it's taken the better part of a decade for my wife to kinda get it and be ok with it. She can't cook that well anyways so that helps LOL.

Couple of tools I've used:

1. IF for sure. You minimize the damage if you pack your calories in after dinner.

2. I've gotten my wife used to the idea of "protein nights" vs. "carb nights." If I'm doing UD2 for example, she's used to cooking lean meats and veggies early in the week. She's actually come around to this idea well because she'd rather feed my gluten free child lean meats and veggies anyway. If it's later in the week and I'm carbing up, she knows it's all about maybe a pasta meal. It's taken a while, but we've reached a balance. I just need to understand what my fitness goals are early in the week and get this on her radar.

I also think she's come around to seeing that whatever crazy thing I'm doing works. I'm in significantly better shape then the other 40 to 50 year old men we hang out with and I think she hears about it. So, I'm healthy and still in good shape. Two decent benefits that many other wives fail to experience in my circle.

Now if I'm on vacation all bets are off. If we're supposed to be having fun as a family and I'm counting calories that's not going to go over well. Just have to achieve maintenance by hook or crook.

KY
Unread 07-24-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Agree with Peter. Some of these accounts are just weird and extremely neurotic. They are very obsessive and imo, you don't need to be that obsessive to achieve your goals.

For people with family life:
1) Do GBR for routine or a beginner 5x5. Workouts arn't crazy long. I spend about 3-4 hours a week in the gym, which should be completely doable by anyone.
2)Fast all day, eat dinner w family then focus the rest of food on lining up with your diet. If you are low carb stick to lower carb options during dinner then maybe have some meat or cheese after dinner to hit your macro goals.
3) Most importantly: Calm down. Every single piece of your diet doesn't need to be perfect to get results. Stress just makes your diet harder. Focus on doing the best you can, maintaining a calorie deficit/surplus, getting your workouts in and go from there.

Will it take a couple days or a week more to achieve your goals? Sure, but you will have a more relaxed and more inclusive time doing it.

I agree with your other things but this part is weird man. I completely understand why you get this way but do understand everyone around you sees it as weird. Whether you care or not is up to you but nobody is watching you in awe.

I say this only because I've been there before as well as seen other people do it. I'm glad people called me on it and told me it was weird. It borders on an eating disorder or food OCD.
Maybe I should have framed my answer to the poster's question better. I was simply offering solutions to similar issues I've encountered in the past. I was speaking in tandem with what quadqueen had to say. If a moderate approach will help you succeed your goals then so be it. In my own personal experience though, I have found that it was necessary to take things to the next level when you get into single digit bodyfat i.e. a scale.

Also the word "awe" was haphazardly used, for sure nobody is ~beholding the glory~ of someone weighing their food, but i was trying to convey that most people I encounter seem to be more interested than weirded out.

With respect.. as far as using words like obsessive, OCD, neurotic, etc. I think your presuming to know the thoughts, and intentions of other people when you really don't. Sure I would say that maybe even using measuring spoons might be "too much" for some dude that just cares about looking good naked. But take a bodybuilder/physique competitor/athlete who has fallen in love with the lifestyle. Their personality and meticulous nature gain extraordinary satisfaction from wielding such control over their bodies. If this behavior is compulsive to the point where they are sacrificing priories then it becomes a problem. I'm sure you can see that some of us actually enjoy it, and it can also be fulfilling. Look at other athletes, some are almost as "obsessive" about their diet or training or whatever but it's what they do, they like it, the means are wrapped up with the ends.

To funklord: My suggestions were my successes for me to integrate my hobby as a physique athlete with family and friends. I offer them to you to do as you please. If you don't enjoy that level of control with using a scale, etc then you shouldn't do it, but I feel obligated to share that getting to very low bodyfat with lots of lean mass has proven very difficult for me without having the level of consistency of cal/macro count that only a scale can offer. If you don't have that goal or don't enjoy it then simply don't do it.

To those that would say this is neurotic behavior: Respectfully, if you know that someone exhibiting this behavior is stressed, anxious, depressed and similar symptoms associated with it, then sure perhaps it is. I for one dont have these symptoms, in fact if i forget the scale or decide not to bring it, or even if i stop tracking for any amount of time, i dont get antsy or upset about it. Its not neurotic, its not even compulsive lest it interferes with your life, if part of your life is this thing. Admittedly from the outside it appears a bit weird, but what i consider weird is that in our society it is estimated that nearly a third of people are prediabetic, that one of 10 people have type 2 diabetes. Its a crazy epidemic and our society shames some of us who wish to exert a little more control over what and how much we eat.

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates
Unread 07-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPbrah View Post
...With respect.. as far as using words like obsessive, OCD, neurotic, etc. I think your presuming to know the thoughts, and intentions of other people when you really don't. Sure I would say that maybe even using measuring spoons might be "too much" for some dude that just cares about looking good naked. But take a bodybuilder/physique competitor/athlete who has fallen in love with the lifestyle. Their personality and meticulous nature gain extraordinary satisfaction from wielding such control over their bodies. If this behavior is compulsive to the point where they are sacrificing priories then it becomes a problem. I'm sure you can see that some of us actually enjoy it, and it can also be fulfilling. Look at other athletes, some are almost as "obsessive" about their diet or training or whatever but it's what they do, they like it, the means are wrapped up with the ends....
I think you misunderstand. I completely understand why people do it and why people get obsessed with it. We lack control in our lives so we enjoy the amazing amount of control we can wield over our bodies. Once again, I've been there before.

I think you are trying to rationalize your and Quad's behavior as not neurotic/obsessive/OCD or that other people just don't understand the dedication you both go to, to excel. You're wrong. We do understand and I would bet Big, Determinism, Wicked and others have encountered this before.

Like I mentioned before, you can sacrifice a little of that "dedication" to achieve your goal in a more relaxed manner while maybe delaying your results by a week. You would be more accommodating to people around you while also enjoying your diet more by not always expecting exact adherence.

That is up to you JD. To be clear, I'm glad you enjoy bodybuilding just like the rest of us. You've clearly worked hard to do well! The most important thing I will say, is that try to step back and look at your behaviors and how others may see it. Most bodybuilders including myself develop a weird relationship with food that you need to take a look at sometimes. The leaner you get, the weirder it often gets. You are literally starving yourself. The strong majority of people would see bringing a scale to a restaurant, as weird and overly obsessive.
Unread 07-24-2017, 01:07 PM

You cannot call somebody OCD in that context. It's 2017. Our culture has evolved rapidly. All food contains sugar/fat, we sit on your a$$ all day and watch Netflix. Biologically we're not evolved to sustain such a lifestyle without becoming fat. At least when having average genetics. Now you can call it "OCD" or being "abnormal" or "dedicated"... Fact is, we prioritize our biological health over being a slave of our social cultural quirks. You know, the kind of quirks that people like to call "normal" to account for their addiction to serotonin and dopamine.
Unread 07-24-2017, 01:18 PM

I have found that it was necessary to take things to the next level when you get into single digit bodyfat i.e. a scale.

This is a good point, I don't remember seeing the OP's goals. I would think 10% would be achievable without such measuring precision. 8% I've never experienced 😄 But I'm guessing it might be tougher. If OP was targeting 8% he might even need to consider compromising on his goals at least temporarily for the sake of the marriage. Not giving up on the goal but perhaps changing the initial goal to something more process oriented including the wife's buyin maybe. Which might even be connected to why he made the OP 😀

On the opinions re at what point does using the scale = obsessive compulsive, if it is just you, it isn't causing unproductive stress for you, and you are ok with the impressions you are making on people, I say more power to you. That's irrespective of whether it is actually OC which I'm not qualified to judge. If Your significant other or family is with you, for the family's sake I think you need to consider how they feel about the impressions other people are getting, even if those aren't the "right" impressions from your viewpoint.
Unread 07-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Roger that. Not advocating exact adherence here. Just advocating that consistency in measuring is usually necessary when you get to low bodyfat levels and to achieve a level of consistency in measurement requires that one actually measure using a reliable method like a scale.
This thread isn't about me and I'm not trying to make it so, but I'm currently visiting family, haven't tracked a calorie since I've been here. I get that there are times to chill out and it's healthy to do so. I don't usually bring a scale to a restaurant but there have been times I deemed it appropriate to do so based on where I am and who I'm with, and at what point in my cut and i am, and what choices I have at the restaurant.

I was mostly offering up things that have worked for me and my wife:
- make and follow a recipe
- measure out some ingredients before hand
- let her cook
- measure out your portion of food

Pretty simple stuff and she is, in all practicality, hardly aware of it.

I have found that If my wife is in the kitchen using unmeasured ingredients it makes consistency a bit difficult especially when it comes to oils and calorie dense foods. I think that one can make it work without encumbering the cook.

And like I said depending on the circumstances you have and you decide it's appropriate to use the scale at a restaurant the whole process of weighing takes about 15 seconds or so. It doesn't make for quite the spectacle you might be conjuring up in your head. The music doesn't stop and jaws don't drop. A quick tare weight and lifting up the meat and starches in turn, make a quick mental note, and your done. For the record I don't do this around people I just met or anyone who doesn't know me in that way. This isn't my idea to make new friends lol

"No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."
Socrates