BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > My products > Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Default 5 hour refeed is it really necessary?

The Lyle podcast in 2015 and then in the women's book states that 5 hour refeeds do not have significant metabolic impacts, which would require at least 2-3 days (3 being ideal).

With this, a CAT 2 could follow the diet without the refeeds, if the trainings are not to suffer, is there any problem?
Has anyone tried this?
Unread 09-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Short refeeds have debateable metabolic impacts, and Lyle has said as such. They're part of the RFL for a few reasons in the book, so I'd just do them.
Unread 09-11-2018, 08:06 AM

Last night I sat down and watched an interview on the subject of re-feeds. I don't want to encourage people to break any diet rules so you can listen to the man himself here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjl1Uui3Yw
(070: Lyle McDonald - Refeeds Revised )
See time stamp 25:25 to get to the point, but it's a really enlightening talk.
Unread 09-12-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrochef View Post
Last night I sat down and watched an interview on the subject of re-feeds. I don't want to encourage people to break any diet rules so you can listen to the man himself here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emjl1Uui3Yw
(070: Lyle McDonald - Refeeds Revised )
See time stamp 25:25 to get to the point, but it's a really enlightening talk.
I decided to leave only the free meals in case I really feel any need. So I will finish the diet faster and return to eating normally, which is ideal.

Regarding the video, English is not my official language and I still do not have the complete command of the language .. so I had some doubts about it and I came here to try to clarify.

So the weekly short refeed is actually "disposable"?
Unread 09-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio Tenório View Post
I decided to leave only the free meals in case I really feel any need. So I will finish the diet faster and return to eating normally, which is ideal.

Regarding the video, English is not my official language and I still do not have the complete command of the language .. so I had some doubts about it and I came here to try to clarify.

So the weekly short refeed is actually "disposable"?
It's funny. I was thinking of it in different terms at the time, but this is exactly what I was already doing. You can read about my progress in the Logging Your Progress section. Thanks for bringing this up Emilio.

For the record, the RFL book does not state the 5-hour re-feed is "optional".
Unread 09-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Remember, the refeed has other benefits, namely replenishing glycogen and dropping cortisol, as well as the psychological benefits. Even if you think your workouts aren't suffering, they probably are. There's also NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) to consider. You may not notice that you are moving less, but chances are good that you are. That means less calories burned, and a smaller deficit, and those NEAT cals can really have an impact.

I'm also wondering, even though the short refeed does nothing to reverse metabolic adaptations, if it may not still go some way to slowing them down - ie you're potentially going to get faster/higher metabolic adaptation(slowdown) if you skip the refeeds (I really have no idea, possibly talking out of a hole in my head!).

Given that I have yet to see anything from Lyle saying 'yeah, you can just skip those', despite his changed stance on their metabolic effects and there having been plenty of people asking this question, I'm going with 'do what the book says'.

Remember also that Cat 1s don't get the free meals and refeeds because they're only doing 12 days.
Unread 09-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Okay, I asked in the Bodyrecomp FB group about whether the refeed may slow metabolic adaptation somewhat, Lyle says not to any meaningful degree.

But I stand by the rest of my post
Unread 09-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony_Mouse View Post
Okay, I asked in the Bodyrecomp FB group about whether the refeed may slow metabolic adaptation somewhat, Lyle says not to any meaningful degree.

But I stand by the rest of my post
can you make the discussion link available?
Unread 09-13-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilio Tenório View Post
can you make the discussion link available?
It's a closed group (you can ask to join though Bodyrecomposition on Facebook), that was literally Lyle's entire reply though.

How long are you planning to do RFL Emilio? And are you doing the free meals?
Unread 09-13-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nony_Mouse View Post
It's a closed group (you can ask to join though Bodyrecomposition on Facebook), that was literally Lyle's entire reply though.

How long are you planning to do RFL Emilio? And are you doing the free meals?
I'm part of the group, but I did not find your question.

I intend to make up to 10-12% of BF.
Which will take something around 4-6 weeks.
I'm finishing my second week and I have not had any free meals yet, I did not see any need.