BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General training questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Training while diabetic

Just found out I'm diabetic. Short version: is there anything specific you would recommend when it comes to weight training? My guess is that pretty much any abbreviated routine done consistently would be fine.

Longer version: I lost about 60 lbs. over the past year or so, but some of it seems to have been muscle. I have done some light cardio and bodyweight stuff on and off since the beginning of the year. I'd like to get more serious now. My main goal with weight training is to improve insulin sensitivity. My secondary goal is to not lose more muscle. I assume that gaining muscle is mostly out of the question due to age and illness, but let me know if that's not a good assumption.

I seem to remember that Lyle has mentioned in a few articles that glycogen depletion helps with insulin sensitivity. Should I try to mix in some higher rep days in addition to days focused around 5-8 reps?

There are a lot of conflicting things on the web when it comes to diabetes, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed to death. Thanks.
Unread 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Type I or Type II diabetic?
Unread 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Thanks, Lyle. Here is more info to encourage more participation:

Type 2 diabetic. I was put on one metformin pill once a day. It seems to be alleviating my symptoms (excessive urination and thirst) quite well. Although I've lost weight, I'd still be in what Lyle calls category 2 (I'd estimate myself to be about 20% bf). I'm pretty happy where I am, but I'd be worried about losing any more muscle. I think I've lost a little bit just judging by pics and my quad measurements going down a lot (my fat patterning is typical male: belly fat with thin arms and legs). That's why I'd like to start lifting consistently. I would probably just follow one of Lyle's beginner routines, such as the one that comes with RFL. I was just wondering if there were any tips that might apply to my situation that might not be obvious.

Although I know it would have to be taken with a grain of salt, I'd appreciate any anecdotal stories from those who are going through the same thing. I should also note that I'm NOT seeking medical advice.
Unread 04-23-2017, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Start lifting, 2-3 times per week. Don't overdo it initially as excessive muslce damage harms insulin sensitivity.

Do cardio on the off days.

Lose more fat and don't be surpised if the Type II diabetes 'goes away'.
Unread 04-24-2017, 01:38 PM

Much appreciated, Lyle!

I may update this thread with my own anecdotal experience in a few weeks (for whatever that's worth).
Unread 02-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Also read Lyle's bromocriptine book. There's relevance to Diabetes there and since the book the drug has been approved for treatment of Diabetes, so you might be able to easily get your doc to give you a sub.