Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Day15

Weight: 203.1 (+1.7 / -1.9lbs)
Waist: 36.5" (-1.5")

Workout: rest

Yesterday's nutrition:
free day

Was not feeling it this weekend. Got the diet blues and almost decided to quit. Allowed myself the weekend off instead, as I MUST lose this weight. Apparently I have developed a snoring problem, which I completely contribute to my overweight state. So sleeping is one thing. Plus all the clothes I have that don't quite fit, and the fact I got up to 3 minutes of activity on the cardio challenge and thought I might die. Seriously, I can't keep living this way.

It really sucks that fully re-fed I am only down 2 lbs after 2 weeks. Maybe slow progress on the scale after my free meal wednesday also contributed to the blahs. Either way I am recommitted and carrying on. Hopefully I will see some progress this week to get my motivation back up.
Unread 02-13-2018, 12:26 AM

Hey Magpie, have you considered doing another diet other than RFL? Looking at your list of threads, you've been doing rounds and rounds of it since 2014 and you were at the same weight back then. I don't think this diet works for you. There's got to be a better way.

And even in this thread, given the low calorie level, I agree the results are underwhelming and I'd be frustrated too. Here are my suggestions:

-Doing all those weightlifting and 2-minute intense cardio then having to go for shoulder and knee rehab, doesn't make much sense. You're better off spending majority of your exercise doing moderate intensity cardio, like 1 hr of brisk walking every day. Also, spending more time doing weight lifting than cardio is backwards. Do the bare minimum of WL required to maintain muscle(you don't NEED to build more at your wt) and instead burn more calories with cardio that doesn't result in injuries.

-Find a more sustainable diet than RFL. If it hasn't worked in 4 yrs it's not going to. Try Flexible Dieting and focus on the foods you like to eat but control the quantity/calories. Do a diet that's close to how you plan on eating for the rest of your life. The only difference would be the calorie content and activity level. That way, your transition to maintenance will make it easier and more manageable.

-Stop fussing about carbs in tomatoes and onions! (maybe it was a joke?). If I can eat a diet high in carbs and manage to lose and maintain weight, then you should know with everything on this site, that calories matter more than macros. Focus on high volume of food that's not calorie dense. I can eat plates and plates of food but when I plug it into cronometer, the calories are surprisingly low, and I didn't have to starve because my stomach was full. Focus on veggies, lentils, beans, fruits, starches like potatoes and whatever grains you can tolerate like oats, brown rice etc. Do stews of whatever veg you like with beans/lentils and such and you can eat bowls of it without overeating cals (don't add oils though! add spice).

-Watch the fat content from added oils, or meats. If you're eating 600-1000 cals for the last 2 weeks and carbs are as low as you've logged, and you haven't lost a decent amount of weight(fat, not RFL water weight!), then you're probably eating more fat than you think you are and very likely underestimating fat, which is not hard to do.

Last edited by Raquel130 : 02-13-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Unread 02-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel130 View Post
Hey Magpie, have you considered doing another diet other than RFL?
Hi Raquel130. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. The short answer is that keto/low carb is the only way I have ever been able to lose weight. I have tried the cardio thing (one example: ran a half marathon, training for 3 months, didn't lose a single pound) and the calorie counting moderate diet thing many times (end up maintaining endlessly, which is great if you aren't 30-50lbs overweight), and nothing gives me results, while this does.

I agree, I'm not getting anywhere in total, but it's better than the previous few years where I was gaining & gaining consistently. The problem is not the diet but the maintenance periods, which I have not mastered! So of course I do see the logic to the flexible, closer to maintenance approach, for sure. And I would Love to do it if I hadn't already tried it so many times with zero success. I also believe that I can and will finally win at maintenance, as I was successful at it for half of last year.

The injuries I have are actually attributed to cardio/repetitive use and the weightlifting is correcting my problems - the physio stuff is just a couple extra exercises I try to remember to do to strengthen the very specific muscles... This is per direction of medical professionals, not just my own anecdotal evidence.

I really do appreciate your comments, and although you made some good points... I still feel like I just have to get to the goal, then I can relax and do something more moderate!! So I am going to keep at this for a bit longer
Unread 02-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Default Day17

Oops, didn't actually log yesterday! Weight was 201.1 (-2.0 / -3.9lbs)
Today is: 199.6 (-1.5 / -5.4lbs)
Waist: 36.0" (-2.0")

Workout: Rest (yesterday was full body B)

Yesterday's nutrition:
cals: 1005
protein: 132g
fat: 41g
carb: 19g net

Feeling re-motivated now, somehow. Maybe because I am back under 200lbs. Glad to see a decent loss even with eating a nice filet mignon last night. I try to stick to leaner proteins for the most part, but if I'm at a nice restaurant I have to have the beef!
Unread 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM

Default Day18

Weight: 198.3 (-1.3 / -6.7lbs)

Workout: rest

Yesterday's nutrition:
cals: 863
protein: 114g
fat: 30g
carb: 35g net

Progressing well! If this stays on trend I should achieve a nice weekly low for week 3. Happy again! Ahh, the rollercoaster of keto dieting lol
Unread 02-16-2018, 01:45 PM

Default Day19

Weight: 197.9 (-0.4 / -7.1lbs)

Workout: full body A

Yesterday's nutrition:
cals: 845
protein: 114g
fat: 29g
carb: 24g net

With .5lb loss, I likely have just reached full water loss post free meal, which was what, sunday? I am starting to think I might not be the best candidate for the 2/wk free meals as possibly it knocks me too far out of keto... or I just hang onto water for a few days and it's not an issue for the keto at all. Who knows. I have a social event this saturday so expecting the free meal bump to persist into next week again.

Hopefully the water-retention-based diet blues won't get me too badly on Monday! Yet, for the most part, I have not been aching to get out of the diet this time, looking in the fridge 3-4 times after dinner for low carb treats, etc. I feel pretty chill about the whole thing, and dedicated to hit my goal. It's hard to describe, but I can tell my mindset is slightly different than my last round. Instead of celebrating every lb lost and feeling like I deserve a treat, I feel more fully focused on the end goal, which makes me much more confident that I will finish out this round successfully and at goal. It's a good feeling.
Unread 02-20-2018, 11:21 AM

Default Day23

Weight: didn't weigh today

Workout: none

Yesterday's nutrition:
free day

I had Monday off, so had a long weekend. I had plans to do many good for me things, but I succumbed to some of the negativity that started chewing at the back of my brain and ended up throwing away the entire weekend. I need to start shutting this out better or I am not going to reach my goal. Now I am battling these feelings of failure again.... I have the will not to quit, but somehow have developed an increasing weakness for going off plan over the weekend? what the... *learn from mistakes and do better* will be my mantra for next weekend!
Unread 02-21-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Day24

Weight: 198.9 (+1.0 / -6.1lbs)

Workout: none

Yesterday's nutrition:
cals: 799
protein: 78g
fat: 45g
carb: 18g net

Well, despite the lost time and missed potential for additional weight loss, the weekend didn't seem to do any damage. What a relief! I still feel a bit tubby around the middle from the eating. A bit low on protein yesterday as I forgot my greek yoghurt at home (as I did today). This really puts a dent in my protein intake. In case anyone is interested, my food usually goes like this:
Breakfast: zero fat greek yoghurt mixed with a scoop of protein powder
Lunch: greens with grilled chicken breast and balsamic vinaigrette made with flax oil for the omega3s
Dinner: a meat with roasted veg, or RFL chili, or taco beef with lettuce and salsa, etc.
Snacks: beef jerky, cucumbers, turkey pepperoni stick, boiled eggs, miso soup broth, pickles etc. (although I haven't been much for the snacks these days as I already have around 70g protein by the time I finish lunch! the breakfast mixture is key.)
I supplement with EC twice daily (I can never get the first dose in early enough to do a 3rd), a multi vitamin in the morning, and electrolyte powder at lunch for all the salts.
Unread 02-22-2018, 01:27 PM

Default Day25

Weight: 197.6 (-1.3 / -7.4lbs)

Workout: Full Body A

Yesterday's nutrition:
cals: 740
protein: 101g
fat: 24g
carb: 26g net

Decided to check my percentages today on my impedance scale (yes, inaccurate as f* especially during keto but I watch the trend) and my bone mass measured 6.6% - an all time low. I checked back and I had 6.9% around the end of 2016 when I was considerably heavier, so I am worried about this! as I lose weight this %age should be increasing, not decreasing! I know I shouldn't trust anything an impedance scale says, and that the scale makes some assumptions reliant on age, and I did adjust my age from 37 to 39 during this period, and I know I am at the age where these things start to decline, but yikes!!

I started to think about my strength, and although I am lifting a bit less than I was a couple years ago right after I finished an extensive home renovation and was all hulked out, most of my stuff is about the same as when I was starting out with weight lifting in uni 10-15 years back EXCEPT for back. the difference there is that I used to have a much larger chest (had a reduction 2 years ago) and holding up a large chest must give you a stronger back (like I used to lat pull as much as the skinny guys in the gym)! I never used to do legs so I have no comparison, but I used to run all the time and now I can't until I get my glute-medius and knee in order and I know that impact exercise makes some difference, but now I do squats and deadlifts so I would think it balances for muscle/bone mass, if not being better for it (I was always reading about how runners need to do leg strength exercise to supplement and avoid injury).

Anyway, I am definitely glad I have gotten back to some serious lifting and I will have to keep this up for life, which isn't the best because I lose motivation for lifting fairly often!! Maybe 6.6% will be my new motivation lol. Also, that is not the only reason to do it. I have been told by every physio/chiro I have seen that I am overly flexible through my joints, and therefore I need to be very cognizant of maintaining good strength or I will injure myself, which only gets worse with age. Determining how to stay motivated for lifting will be my new project
Unread 02-22-2018, 11:02 PM

Re: how to stay motivated for lifting:

But what about the endorphin rush?
Seriously I feel like a junkie getting high when lifting, esp heavy

My ERFL log
http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=34596