BodyRecomposition Support Forums  

Go Back   BodyRecomposition Support Forums > General information > General diet questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Default Anyone gone from putting weight on easy to being a "hardgainer"?

Hey guys,

I've experienced an extremely strange phenomenon within the past couple months. To spare everyone the details, I was obese nearly my whole life. Lost a bunch of weight (~60 lbs while growing 5 inches) about 7 years ago while finishing up puberty. Even after, I always found it difficult to keep my weight down and really had to control calorie intake, or I'd find myself gaining significant amounts of weight in a mere few weeks.

Even after losing all this weight, I wasn't completely satisfied with my transformation. I didn't have abs, and my body just wasn't as defined as I would have liked. Then I found this forum about 1.5 years ago. I ended up shedding another 20-30 lbs and finally having (almost) a full six pack about 7 months after finding this forum. I still found after the diet was over that I had to maintain TIGHT control over my diet, or I would start gaining significant amounts of weight. I'm talking if I was eating 2800 calories a day to slowly bulk (some calculators have that at my maintenance for my height and weight), I would gain 2-3 lbs a week AFTER the initial water weight jump. Even during these bulking phases, I was still HUNGRY. I literally think I could have been eating 10k calories a day and still wanted more.

Anyway, I basically maintained/attempted to cut (I had a really hard time dropping weight below the 170lb mark no matter how low I brought calories) for August 2017 - December 2017, basically maintaining my weight despite eating what I'd say were quite low calories for my bodyweight (averaging 13k calories a week at 170 lbs). I couldn't bring myself to put calories any lower, so I decided I would try to slowly bring calories back up to what I thought my maintenance should be (2300-2500 calories a day). During this entire process of bringing calories up, I was even hungrier than when I was dieting (this seems to be a common trend reading around these forums). But the strangest thing has happened now. I'm finally hitting 2500 calories on training days and 2000-2300 on off days, and I've been maintaining/losing a bit of weight. Not only that, but I'm actually having an extremely difficult time managing to eat 2500 calories in a day. I seriously feel stuffed after consuming a 200-400 calorie "meal", and anything beyond that is nearly impossible. If I'm not actively trying to make sure I space meals out throughout the day, I end up eating significantly below maintenance and have to try to just show a bunch of calories in at the end of the day, which is always miserable.

This is just extremely strange to me, because I've always been the guy jealous of people who say they eat and eat and eat and can't gain any weight. Anyone have any ideas on what could have caused this? I'm not even sure I'm necessarily mad about it (yet), but it's just super bizarre. Wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.
Unread 02-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Maybe something like that or maybe not at all.

I did lose a lot, (about 100 pounds) then gained a lot back pretty easily (60 pounds), then had to work really hard to take it back off.

Then I got stuck. Maintained while really trying to cut. Had calories around body weight in pounds x 11ish while doing a lot of activity...lots of walking, lifting weights twice a week and spin class twice a week.

Now from since around September I seem to be more or less maintaining though I'm walking less and not lifting weights while also eating like complete crap most of the time.

It is possible that I'm not eating that many calories as I'm not stuffing myself (don't even like to), but my food choices are definitely more calorie dense with a lot more carbs.

Personally just thankful ATM and don't feel like i can depend on it to continue indefinitely.
Unread 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM

You sound like you actually did extremely similarly to what I did.

Here's my theory, would be fun to get a discussion going on this:

2 week diet breaks help to mitigate the metabolic slowdown of dieting TO AN EXTENT.

Cutting for an extremely long time (> 1 year) causes metabolic slowdown that can't be stopped by simply eating at maintenance for 2 weeks every once in awhile.

Rebound weight gain is ridiculous because maintenance estimates are off (you probably weigh much less and you already have some degree of metabolic slowdown from dieting).

On top of that, food choices and psychology change when you come out of a diet, leading to you being more likely to eat over your calculated maintenance calories.

It takes a much longer window than 2 weeks to fully recover from a dieting period of over a year.

If you are still vigilant in maintaining weight for a few months after an extended dieting period, your hormones will normalize and metabolism will restore itself, leading to you being able to eat more while feeling less hungry at the same time.

When everything is finally stabilized, you're used to feeling horribly deprived, so eating at "normal" levels actually feels like overeating.

At the end of the day, I think it's equal parts physiology and psychology. I think a lot of people end up rebounding weight because they don't take time at maintenance to let weight stabilize before increasing calories to what they THINK their maintenance should be (or even above if they're trying to bulk)
Unread 02-15-2018, 12:29 PM

For your hunger at maintenance have you tried making sure your foods are low in calorie density, high in fiber, protein, and fat? And of course drinking water. This usually silences my appetite. If you still feel like you need to eat after that than you are probably talking about just an appetite, emotional eating, or a big miscalculation of your maintenance calories.. At least that's what I've noticed from me.
Unread 02-16-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
For your hunger at maintenance have you tried making sure your foods are low in calorie density, high in fiber, protein, and fat? And of course drinking water. This usually silences my appetite. If you still feel like you need to eat after that than you are probably talking about just an appetite, emotional eating, or a big miscalculation of your maintenance calories.. At least that's what I've noticed from me.
Yeah, I did the whole nine. My diet was basically chicken, vegetables, some dairy and lots of water and I was still hungry all the time. But like I said, now it seems my food choices are irrelevant and I find it incredibly hard to get enough calories to even hit maintenance